Rolling Stones' Exile On Main Street Week

Jimmy Fallon just announced that the week of May 10-14 will be Exile On Main St week. Basically he is having famous musical acts on all week to perform a song from said album.

Phish was announced as the 1st guest to be signed on. They will be on Thursday May 13th.

I guess on Friday's show (May 14th that is) they will show some "new" documentary on the Rolling Stones.

Details should come in soon, I guess.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Blog Article From 2 Weeks Ago

Now I'm confused because Jimmy didn't mention anything about the Rolling Stones actually being on the show.

Rolling Stones fans have something to be “Happy” about because “Late Night with Jimmy Fallon” will be hosting a weeklong celebration for the re-release of the band’s tenth studio album “Exile on Main Street” beginning May 10.

“We’re very excited that ‘Late Night with Jimmy Fallon’ is devoting a special week to ‘Exile on Main Street’ with our new documentary ‘Stones In Exile’ premiering for the first time ever in the U.S. on Friday,” the Rolling Stones said in a press release from NBC.

The week of May 10, the group will perform selected songs from “Exile on Main Street” each night on the show, which airs at 11:37 p.m. weeknights on NBC.

The original 18-track double-album was recorded in various stages at multiple locations, including Olympic Studios in London, Keith Richards’ mansion Nellcote in France, and in Los Angeles where the literal “Main Street” influenced the album title.

The re-release features 10 tracks originally recorded during the “Exile” era and only recently discovered while working on the reissue project. The unearthed tracks which include such titles as “Plundered My Soul,” “Dancing in the Light,” “Following the River” and “Pass The Wine” have undergone a unique evolution, while staying true to the essence of the 1972 album. Alternate versions of “Soul Survivor” and “Loving Cup” are also part of the “Exile” bonus materials.

“Stones in Exile,” a documentary developed to complement the release of “Exile on Main Street,” has just been completed for fans to view on US Network television and through BBC Worldwide internationally. The re-release of “Exile” will be available in the U.S. May 18.

“Late Night with Jimmy Fallon” fans will have the opportunity to screen the movie with Jimmy Fallon during a limited-commercial telecast Friday, May 14.

The documentary features rare, never-before-seen archival film, photos and interviews as well as new conversations with the band and the artists they influence.

“Exile on Main Street is one of the greatest records of all time. I am a huge Rolling Stones fan and it is a dream come true to celebrate the re-release of the album here at Late Night,” Fallon said in the NBC press release.

OOPS!

I just realized that Analogman posted about this in the Rolling Stones' Get Yer Ya-Yas Out.

I kind of guess that this deserves its own thread, since I didn't really look through that one because I assumed it was all about the above live cd.

I'd be willing to close this or combine the above with the other thread. :thumbup

Here's another article:

Phish Returns To TV During 'Late Night' Stones Week

Phish will give its first television performance since reforming in 2009 on May 13, as part of a Rolling Stones tribute week on "Late Night With Jimmy Fallon."

As previously reported, a host of superstar acts to be announced will be covering songs from the Stones' "Exile on Main Street" that week, in celebration of the upcoming deluxe reissue of that landmark 1972 album.

Although it was not announced which "Exile" song the band will be playing on "Late Night," in concert, Phish has long covered "Loving Cup" from that set and of late has begun playing "Shine a Light." And last Halloween, the group performed "Exile" in its entirety as part of its Festival 8 event in Indio, Calif.

Festival 8 is the subject of "Phish 3D," a new film set to premiere April 30 for a one-week run in select U.S. theaters. Preview screenings are set for nine U.S. cities on April 20; details can be found on Phish.com.

Phish begins a summer North American tour on June 11 outside Chicago. The trek concludes with an Aug. 17-18 stand at Jones Beach in Wantagh, N.Y.

I am glad this will be online somewhere, as I don't stay up that late.

• 2 weeks later...

Jimmy Fallon sucks.

Recently read in a Brit Mag that the Stones Had Considered doing the ALbum Live Like other Classic Rock Acts have been recently and continue to .. Roger Waters has announced his Wall Tour

But Stones turned down the offer of a 1 off show around the re release..

One of the unreleased tracks "Plunder My Soul" was released today on a 7" for RSD and it's up there with the best of "Exile" and could have easily been on the album. It's got me excited about the bonus edition.

I don't think it is very good. It's definitely a new vocal (plus other things) over an old track.

Rolling Stones - Plundered My Soul (Youtube link)

I am all for bonus tracks, but I am not a fan of tracks that have been messed with years and years past the time when they were made.

I agree - not a fan of messing with a version after nearly 40 years. I like the music - has that Exile sound, but the vocal is too up front for me (not buried in the mix like much of Exile), and Mick sounds different today than in the early 70s, and it shows on this song.

I am all for bonus tracks, but I am not a fan of tracks that have been messed with years and years past the time when they were made.

Yeah, to hell with that. Why can't they just be like, "this is what we sounded like at this point in our history" and either not put it out or put it out unadulterated?

I don't think it is very good. It's definitely a new vocal (plus other things) over an old track.

Rolling Stones - Plundered My Soul (Youtube link)

I actually like it. Yes, it's bastardized, but at its core it's a pretty good song.

I guess Green Day will be on Monday (5/10) - I always have been a sucker for Green Day. Hopefully they don't disappoint.

I don't the mind the new Plundered song. I would have preferred them not to mess with it, but I am just happy they are finally releasing some of this stuff.

Here is the official video of Plundered my Soul.

I do really like the video.