• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I could do without it, too. Unless I heard it wrong, the robot intro to Wilco's show states that yelling song requests is among the things that are allowed during the show, so it'll probably start happening more.

ROBOT: "Here are things we welcome: Audio recording. Singing along. General merriment. Shouting requests between songs, although there are no guarantees Wilco will honor them. Things we prohibit: All photography, video and still. To avoid ending your evening with Wilco prematurely, please refrain from taking photos or video. Thank you for your compliance, and thanks for spending your evening with Wilco. Enjoy the show. Rock on."

What was tweedy yelling at the guy?

Calm down

I'm watching you

You weren't even born in 1997. (To which the ass responded with "fuck you man" Jeff kinda stepped back from the microphone, but I heard him say "fuck me? what did I do to you?")

The guy was obnoxious. I heard several folks behind me straight up say "don't be a jackass." Jeff kept giving him stern looks, but he didn't get the hint. I smelled some weed around the time I started hearing him, so there's probably a connection.

generally speaking, telling people who are talking during shows to stop talking during shows does not curb those people from talking during shows. that's why I pee on them.

Jeff's not cranky, he's just concerned about wrinkleintherug leaving the board. this will pass.

lead by example.

He made some comments at the Atlanta show towards the audience that I felt were justified, but which some might interpret as cranky.

He said to someone at the beginning of the show who kept pestering him: "I don't want to hear from you again. It's not all about you."

He said something about the crowd being "diverse." I might be reading something into it, but to my ears it came across as a subtle dis. It seemed like he was commenting on the fact that much of the audience was engagerd in a variety of activies other than paying attention to the concert. I could be way off on that, though.

He also asked the audience not to converse during the quiet songs and that if they wished to converse to do it during the loud songs. Reasonable request...unfortunately, request denied.

Later in the show he made some complimentary comments about the crowd, particularly the people in the balcony.

That was the drunk guy who walked up to JT's feet to ask(read:ARGUE) about his friend getting tossed for taking pictures. I was amazed JT didn't have him tossed for generally acting like a moron and throwing things/almost climbing onto the stage. Once his friend got back in the pit they were yelling after every song ended to say sorry and express thier drunken gratitude. It was annoying as hell to anyone around, and I found it inspiring that he told the guy it wasn't all about him. He also kicked a shot off the stage back at the guy, which I didn't think was in bad taste or a display of crankiness at all.

Overall I thought Jeff was much more light and connected/interactive than I've ever seen him. I even saw a rare smile from Nels to him at the end of a nice dual they had. People will usually think whatever they want based on themselves, which I may be doing, but crappy crowds make for crappy experiences and that's not any band's fault.

Calm down

I'm watching you

You weren't even born in 1997. (To which the ass responded with "fuck you man" Jeff kinda stepped back from the microphone, but I heard him say "fuck me? what did I do to you?")

The guy was obnoxious. I heard several folks behind me straight up say "don't be a jackass." Jeff kept giving him stern looks, but he didn't get the hint. I smelled some weed around the time I started hearing him, so there's probably a connection.

Woah, was this over the mic? I must have been in the bathroom or something. What was the 1997 in reference too

Woah, was this over the mic? I must have been in the bathroom or something. What was the 1997 in reference too

Yeah, most of it was. Some of it was Jeff mouthing it towards this guy.

1997 was a reference to the last time Wilco played in Richmond. That was definitely over the mic. It was a decent size bit of banter, too.

And bathroom break?

Yeah, most of it was. Some of it was Jeff mouthing it towards this guy.

1997 was a reference to the last time Wilco played in Richmond. That was definitely over the mic. It was a decent size bit of banter, too.

And bathroom break?

Haha didn't want to but my bladder failed me.. I don't get how I missed that.. Was it mid song or between?

I have heard Jeff can be cranky. I even looked up some clips on youtube with him berating the audience, and who can forget the moment of silence in the Pacific Northwest after he asked if people could be quiet and quit talking. I look at it like some others have mentioned. He appreciates his fans. He does. He knows the true fans from the drunk/obnoxious/casual asses who will do anything to disrupt the audience or the band. I saw them for the first time in Clearwater last week, and he was funny, entertaining, and very personable. He ended the night by telling us we were 'awesome.' So if I was Jeff, and I saw people out in the crowd who were digging what I was doing, and then some others who were disruptive, I would sure as hell say something as well. He knows most people are there for their music, and I think it's cool as hell that he thinks of us and wants us to connect with him. Bob

I've been to probably a dozen shows, all in the Boston/New England area, and was fortunate enough to see Uncle Tupelo a couple of times as well. I have to laugh at myself because when I was younger I never noticed all the chatter, but now it drives me to distraction every time (not to mention how my complaining about chatter distracts my poor wife!)

The only real way to combat this effectively for me is to have a good seat, up close, where Nels or one of the guys can blast me into a solitary state. I've never been a snob about where I sit or stand, but with Wilco I just won't risk it anymore. They play a lot of music that is meant to shake your body to, but if I miss the part that works on my brain, I just don't feel satisfied. If I don't nab great seats, I'm just anxious. If we can't get a good spot, I just can't go.

All of this is to say, we'll be at the Orpheum in Boston next week, and we'll be up close getting our f'n ears blasted!

all the chatter, but now it drives me to distraction every time.... to combat this effectively for me is to have a good seat, up close, where Nels or one of the guys can blast me into a solitary state. I've never been a snob about where I sit or stand, but with Wilco I just won't risk it anymore. If I don't nab great seats, If we can't get a good spot, I just can't go.

All of this is to say, we'll be at the Orpheum in Boston next week, and we'll be up close getting our f'n ears blasted!

Wow, wishing you a good nite out. This was my frame of mind when I stopped seeing the Dead, Bromberg, John Prine, Mozart (wait a sec, I'm not that old). Then later, going to shows at coffeehouse, church, basement, living room scene was driving me nutso with can't-sit-still, can't-shut-up, forgot-to-turn-off-the-phonies.

Rather than getting all anxious for seeing Wilco soon, its a comment like yours that has me a bit more settled. If long-time-listeners are saying the scene is wacky and borderline obnoxious, then I can forget about getting all perturbed by it. Rather, I'll see and hear what happens, and what ever sticks will be it's own experience.

its a comment like yours that has me a bit more settled. If long-time-listeners are saying the scene is wacky and borderline obnoxious, then I can forget about getting all perturbed by it. Rather, I'll see and hear what happens, and what ever sticks will be it's own experience.

Don't overestimate it. The last five shows we've been to have been stellar from a crowd experience. (Three US states and two overseas destinations.) This is one reason I like festival seating. If someone's an ass, you move.

a lot of people dont go to shows for the music. people go there to socialize because maybe it is the "place to be for that night." so they talk and socialize and hit on people and drink and be loud and the music is only background noise.

it is the same at sporting events. ever go to a game at Wrigley and sit in the bleachers? its not about watching baseball out there.

I support Jeff on this one.

edit: Hell, if people are going to talk during a Dylan performance, then they'll talk through any performance.

I have been very fortunate that everytime I've seen Wilco I've been so into the performance that I haven't really been bothered by any of the people around me. I have been in pretty good crowds though. There have been times on bootlegs where I've felt like Tweedy may have gone a bit overboard on stage chastising the audience, but it's impossible for me to gage what it was actually like in the crowd that night and most of those instances happened during the late nineties Being There/Summerteeth shows. Usually I find his "crankiness" (I'd use preciousness instead perhaps), pretty endearing.

--Mike

Tweedy was not cranky tonight (nor was I). Phenomenol show, slow at time but overall they were sublime. Here's what I posted:

Great show, a little slow at times but really picked up. Transition into and out of the acoustic set is way cool, seamless (and not always utilizing the same intro/outro songs bookending the switcheroo). Terrific encore -- Box Full of Letters (requested by fans! they heard us!), Hoodoo Voodoo (face-melting guitar licks traded by Nels and Pat) and I'm a Wheel. 3 hours for two nights in a row (for them and me - whew!). Airline was awesome, too, as were many, many songs. Very good sound mix (Richmond last night was just too loud), could hear all three guitarists but, as often, Nels needed more V! Pat was very sharp on guitar tonight, but his hair is getting way too creepy middle-aged faux glam guy. Nels' solo on Impossible Germany was probably the best I've heard in four shows, I think longer than usual, very silky yet sinuous and jazzy. Three Woody/Mermaid Ave. songs tonight! - CA stars, Airline 2 Heaven, Hoodoo Voodoo.

Have to say although they all rocked, the setlist starting with Jesus (not a bad singalong, Richmond may have been better last night, well yes, it was) up until Thank You Friends, which honky-tonked even more than last night, felt kinda obligatory, "we have to get in Hate it Here, ITMWLY, Walken, HMD etc. in real quick b4 someone complains" kinma thing, though again they did all rock.

Tweedy wasn't very cranky at all tonight, actually very charming and funny 2nite. Strathmore is almost too nice, Tweedy was afraid they might break it.

Like someone said earlier, if people weren't being idiots then he wouldn't have a reason to call them out. I honestly feel bad for the guy, it seems he attracts some of the most moronic people on the planet. I rarely see people at other shows who act as dumb as they do at Wilco shows. Thankfully, he also attracts some of the greatest people too :)

Also, someone mentioned an American mindset- it's not just America. We've had some real characters at Canadian shows as well. How are the crowds in other countries, like places in Europe?

Shouting requests between songs, although there are no guarantees Wilco will honor them.

I was not aware of this. I stand corrected. My annoyance was really for the band, but if they dig that, then who am I to say anything about it? Sorry if I seemed too harsh.

Hell, if people are going to talk during a Dylan performance, then they'll talk through any performance.

Exactly.

And I do love that bit in the Sunken Treasure DVD when he says, "You can't hear me back there?" And they say, "No", and he says, "THAT'S BECAUSE YOU'RE STILL TALKING!" Awesome stuff, and one more reason to appreciate Mr. Tweedy.

it seems he attracts some of the most moronic people on the planet.

And that's kind of strange. Wilco music is fairly cerebral, and although it's not really niche, their music is for certain kind of audience. I have to say, the Iowa City show in October was pretty good, crowd wise. There was some hot girl who was trying to push her way to the stage, and thought that she could do so because she was hot. It was a no-go for me, my wife, and the two music fans in front of us.

How are the crowds in other countries, like places in Europe?

I'd be interested to know as well.

It's been well documented that Tweedy doesn't appreciate talking during shows, which is very understandable. No real news there. They've been doing quite a few acoustic numbers or versions in recent shows. When folks chat during an acoustic set, it really takes away from the performance. Which makes thing worse and may explain more "crankiness" that some have suggested. I haven't seen a live Wilco show in... about a year, so all I can comment on is from what gets reported here.

Judging from the rise in acoustic numbers in recent sets, I would guess that the next record will be more of an acoustic affair. Time will tell.