Well, looks like I'm going to need hernia surgery. I have an appointment with a surgeon next week.

anyone every have one repaired? laparoscopic or otherwise? What was the recovery time? Any good questions you'd recommend that I should ask the surgeon?

Wish me luck! It'll actually provide me with some much needed down time.

Well, looks like I'm going to need hernia surgery. I have an appointment with a surgeon next week.

anyone every have one repaired? laparoscopic or otherwise? What was the recovery time? Any good questions you'd recommend that I should ask the surgeon?

Wish me luck! It'll actually provide me with some much needed down time.

I had this done several years ago. They had actually ruled out a hernia and told me it might be cancer so they would have to do exploratory surgery, and of course once they were in there realized it was only a hernia. I assume because I had exploratory surgery and a pretty big scar that my recovery time was longer than with a more exact procedure, but I was pretty well laid up for 2 weeks. It’s been 8 years though, and not a problem since. Best of luck, hope it's not too painful and you recovery quickly.

I had this done several years ago. They had actually ruled out a hernia and told me it might be cancer so they would have to do exploratory surgery, and of course once they were in there realized it was only a hernia. I assume because I had exploratory surgery and a pretty big scar that my recovery time was longer than with a more exact procedure, but I was pretty well laid up for 2 weeks. It’s been 8 years though, and not a problem since. Best of luck, hope it's not too painful and you recovery quickly.

Thanks, Boots! Where you in Bloomington then? Who was your surgeon? I'm meeting with Dr. Haddad, who also happened to do my wife's breast surgery last summer (year, it's been a rough couple of years). Are you still in Bloomington?

After the 2 weeks were you able to go back to work, or was that just when you started feeling well enough to get out of bed?

Thanks, Boots! Where you in Bloomington then? Who was your surgeon? I'm meeting with Dr. Haddad, who also happened to do my wife's breast surgery last summer (year, it's been a rough couple of years). Are you still in Bloomington?

After the 2 weeks were you able to go back to work, or was that just when you started feeling well enough to get out of bed?

Yep, still in Bloomington, and enjoying the warm weather. I had it done in Michigan a few months before I moved to Bloomington, and two months before my wedding. I was really sore for a few days (I remember just downing pain pills and watching college basketball for like 2 days), and generally sore for two weeks or so. But with my surgery it was like a 4 inch scar, so I have to think your recovery time would be a lot better since they know what they are doing going in. They told even told me as much after surgery. I think I was back to work within a week or so, having a desk job helped.

I know they also put some sort of mesh screen or something in to prevent any future hernias. I guess if you have one you are more likely to have another

Sorry to hear so much medical stress in the family recently. Hope lots of happy and healthy times are forthcoming

Sorry to hear so much medical stress in the family recently. Hope lots of happy and healthy times are forthcoming.

Good luck! At first, I thought you were having the same thing done my sister had to do last summer, but her's was a hemorrhoid, not a hernia. *major vibes to you* :thumbup

Oh man. I am sure yous sister just

j, my brother has had problems with chronic hernias for more than a decade now. as of NOW he is in great shape, and is committed to making sure he doesn't get another, but it's been hard for him.

i don't want to make you fearful. these are things that made his surgeries problematic:

-he didn't have someone to properly look after him after his surgery. please take it easy and let people help you.

-he had a complication and waited a long time before going back to the hospital. he ended up with a dangerous infection.

--his body rejected the mesh the surgeons used, and resulted in infection.

--he went back to work too soon, and his body didn't have time to heal.

again: these happened over MANY SURGERIES AND YEARS, not all at once.

motto: listen to your body, trust your judgement.

and i hope it goes well! :cheekkiss

i had hernia surgery. it sucked. ms y is right, probably on all points but the one about needed someone to take care of you for at least the 1st week is a must. 2 weeks was the recovery back for what i had done in i guess 1994. coughing hurts really bad and you will need somone to get you food and empty your pee bottle. :frog

Just to piggy back off what everyone else was saying, having someone there to help is a must at least the first few days. When I left the hospital I was walking and feeling pretty decent, and thought I could stay at my apartment (second floor, no lift), but my in-laws made me stay with them. Good call, because I guess I was just very well drugged when I left the hospital. By that night I was pretty immobile and in pain

• 3 weeks later...

My brother had a hernia removed his senior year of high school, about 15 years ago. I don't remember him being in too much pain, but I do remember girl after girl coming to visit him at the house. :lol Seriously though, I think he was laid up a week or so but he wasn't allowed to play sports or do anything physical for a couple of months, which for him was the worst part.