----------------------

The Late Greats

I'm A Wheel

That's an amazing setlist...can't wait for Hartford

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My son and I got there about 5 PM and stood in the not so long line but soon it stretched around the corner. Having stood for two hours outside we were happy to sit in the balcony. We were able to snag a couple of seats in the second row on the left facing the stage. The center section was taped off for friends of the band. Well, one of the friends of the band

created a real stir when he walked in. Sean Lennon loves those Wilco boys. He sat about six seats to our right and was rocking with the rest of us. Great show but the sound was a bit muddy where we were sitting.

The Wellmont is a cavernous concrete building with a less than mediocre PA (to be specific a Claire Brother's Cat system line array). I did not make it to last nights Wilco show, but I have seem 3 or 4 other shows at this venue. The one thing they all had in common was crappy sound. This venue would greatly benefit from a PA upgrade and some work on the room to relieve the boomy acoustics. Wilco's sound crew does a great job, but The Wellmont usually wins.

It was such an amazing night. Great crowd, unbelievable set -- More Like the Moon, Someday Some Morning Sometime, the band's happiness, much happiness for me. I am soar and exhausted, and ready to do it again tonight. :rock

We have tickets for tonight and I can't wait. We drove into Montclair last night to see a movie and since we were early we decided to walk down to the theater to check out the place. It was about 9 so the show was well under way. On our walk back up Bloomfield Avenue (the main road) we heard music coming from down an alley. It was the back of the Wellmont stage. The gate was unlocked so we wandered down the alley and sat on the fire escape steps and listened to the end of Impossible Germany and all of California Stars. The stage door was ajar but we only peeked in, so we could see how close we were. It sounded great, almost like a private concert, even through the doors. Just whet our appetite for tonight.

What a great show this was! I mean, really. I'm so glad I had the foresight months ago to realize I probably didn't want to miss this tour. I don't think I stopped grinning for the duration of the stripped-down set. Possibly the whole show.

More Like the Moon. :wub

The perfect night for you to join the tour. :cheers Would you have even dared hope for MLTM? What a beautiful selection of songs for that acoustic set.

These seem like the ultimate shows: the setlists stretch throughout their catalog, and right in the middle of it all is a gorgeous stripped down set that holds a few surprises for each night. I can't wait.

Now, any signs of the rainbow SG?

Quick question -- if I dont get to the venue until 7:45 or so, and I have GA seats, how far back will I be? All the way back? I assume I wont miss the start of the show...

How long do you think it will take to get in that late? (If anyone knows)

Also, were they really paying attention to if you had GA or reserved seats? Or were people just going where they wanted?

Thanks much -- first Wilco show tonight. Very psyched, but unfortunately cannot get there until shortly before showtime.

This is my first time here, and last night was my first Wilco show, despite the fact that I have been a fan from nearly the beginning. I was inspired enough by the show to come here and read what you all had to say about it. I was simply blown away. Three hours plus of epic, non-stop rock and roll. I was in the first row of the balcony, stage right. Yes, the sound sucked, and got worse toward the end of the show. By then stage volume had increased to an unsustainable degree. You know what, I care a lot about the sound, but last night I couldn't have cared less. That's how great they were. Such a generous set list, presented by a band that seems to be in great spirits. They may never fill stadiums, but at one point I remember thinking that the position they are in is really all the rock star you need to be. Still in touch with, and able to touch your fans, No airs, no pretension.

In my writings I have called Nels Cline the most innovative rock guitarist since Jimi Hendrix, and nothing I heard last night did anything to dispel that notion. During "Impossible Germany," which is clearly a high point of the set, my eyes filled with tears during his solo. I was just that moved by how majestic rock and roll can be. That's only happened to me a few times in my life, mostly at Springsteen shows, and it's a great feeling. Since I learned that they performed "Broken Arrow" at Neil Young's MusicCares dinner, I've been hoping someone would put it on YouTube, but I haven't found it there yet. So I was thrilled when they did it so beautifully last night. The Buffalo Springfield are one of my all-time favorite bands, so it was a real treat for me to hear them reproduce the original so faithfully, and respectfully.

Another artist I am a big fan of is Alex Chilton, and I'm still reeling from his death. So many of the obits listed Wilco as a band that had been influenced by Alex and Big Star, and I'd been hoping that they'd pay tribute to him. They did a wonderful job with "Thank You Friends," which was beautiful, rousing, and sad all at the same time.

I could go on and on, but it's my first post here, and I appreciate your patience with my ramblings.

I feel the same way, i only get teary eyed for Springsteen and Wilco as well :D Glad to hear you enjoyed your first show

Quick question -- if I dont get to the venue until 7:45 or so, and I have GA seats, how far back will I be? All the way back? I assume I wont miss the start of the show...

Also, were they really paying attention to if you had GA or reserved seats? Or were people just going where they wanted?

Thanks much -- first Wilco show tonight. Very psyched, but unfortunately cannot get there until shortly before showtime.

You won't miss the beginning of the show, but you will probably be towards the back for sure, especially if your in the balcony. The floor wasn't actually that crowded last night, which was nice for a sold out show, i actually had room to move.

It shouldn't take you any time at all to get in at 7:45. They're pretty good at opening the doors close to 7, as advertised. So by then, there's really no line. You certainly won't miss any of the show.

I hope someone makes a compilation disc of just the acoustic jams and makes them available to all for our enjoyment....

That would be sweet. Kind of like the A Ghost Is Born tour comp that was compiled years ago.

Here was the complete setlist, as played, for Night One in Montclair:

—"The Price Is Right" theme music intro—

Wilco (the song)

Bull Black Nova

You Are My Face

IATTBYH>

One Wing

Via Chicago

Company In My Back

Handshake Drugs

Side With The Seeds

Pot Kettle Black

Nothing'severgonnastandinmyway(again)

I'll Fight

Impossible Germany

California Stars

Poor Places>

----into acoustic set----

Spiders (Kidsmoke)

More Like The Moon :thumbup

Forget The Flowers

Someday, Some Morning, Sometime

Laminated Cat

War On War

Passenger Side>

----out of acoustic set----

Airline To Heaven

A Shot in the Arm

Jesus, etc. (crowd singalong)

You Never Know

Heavy Metal Drummer

Red-Eyed and Blue>

I Got You (At The End of the Century)

Broken Arrow [buffalo Springfield]

Hate It Here

Theologians

I'm The Man Who Loves You

Monday

Thank You Friends [big Star]

----------------------

The Late Greats

I'm A Wheel

Thanks for posting the setlist. Was I imagining things, I could have sworn they performed Hummingbird last night?

Sounds like an amazing show. Did anyone see any recording rigs set up?

There was a guy a few seats from me with a mic attached to the balcony rail. His set up didn't look particularly impressive, and as I said earlier, the sound up there was pretty rough, so I doubt that whatever he got could have been that good.

Sounds like an amazing show. Did anyone see any recording rigs set up?

There will be an nyctaper recording of this show up very soon. I'm out of town, but acidjack from the site recorded it with a high-end four-microphone rig.

Thanks for posting the setlist. Was I imagining things, I could have sworn they performed Hummingbird last night?

Definitely played Hummingbird. And I really don't recall hearing Side with the Seeds - maybe that's where Hummingbird slots in to the list? Looks pretty accurate otherwise.

Definitely played Hummingbird. And I really don't recall hearing Side with the Seeds - maybe that's where Hummingbird slots in to the list? Looks pretty accurate otherwise.

Sorry about the Hummingbird omission, but thanks for the correction. I edited my setlist post. That's what happens when you're kind of tired and forgetful. Anyway, they definitely played Side With The Seeds. And I'm almost certain Hummingbird came in after I'm The Man Who Loves You. It was definitely later in the show, after the acoustic set. When one of the recordings comes out, we can verify. :ninja