Wilco Solid Sound Festival

Hi all! Question for the locals. I am going to buy a ticket and plan to camp. My ideal campsite would be quiet, woodsy, scenic, with maybe some good trout/bass fishing available. I would love to bring my Mtn bike and ride to the venue if possible.

Which of the campgrounds fits this bill the best?

Thanks in advance. I know the topic has been discussed a lot but there is no clear answer. I am leaning towards Savoy. -Erik

No yocal here, but I am staying at Clarksburg so that I CAN mtn bike or long board to the festie. Savoy is up a large harpin hill that does not look fun to bike home after a long day. No idea about the other campgrounds in town, although others are making contact with the Windsor Town Campground alas. BTW, how many municipalities have campgrounds funded and staffed by the Town? Awesome! Not even in the sticks here in NH do we have these services. Not sure about the fising at Clarksburg, it could be good but its a rough pond with no defined edge, a canoe would help. I will bring my rods anyways, so maybe we will find each other on the water! Staying in one of the lakeside spots.

• Replies 782
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No yocal here, but I am staying at Clarksburg so that I CAN mtn bike or long board to the festie. Savoy is up a large harpin hill that does not look fun to bike home after a long day. No idea about the other campgrounds in town, although others are making contact with the Windsor Town Campground alas. BTW, how many municipalities have campgrounds funded and staffed by the Town? Awesome! Not even in the sticks here in NH do we have these services. Not sure about the fising at Clarksburg, it could be good but its a rough pond with no defined edge, a canoe would help. I will bring my rods anyways, so maybe we will find each other on the water! Staying in one of the lakeside spots.

I'm not much of a fisherman but Savoy and then Windsor are most popular with people I know who are. Savoy and Clarksburg are more rugged and woodsy than Windsor.

Double A-Rons right, I can't imagine biking that road down and up Florida Mountain (Savoy). Especially on a big weekend when there's traffic coming in that's not used to managing the curves.

Clarksburg SF is definitely better if you plan on biking. Savoy SF has more to see and do as it is a huge park. The biggest waterfall in Ma. is located in a gorge on the south side of the park and there are 2 ponds near the tent sites. Luckily the camp sites are on the north side not too far from MassMoca (10-15 minute drive max.) You don't want to bike back and forth to Savoy on RT 2! Steep and well traveled road with some pretty good cliffs and corners.

Thanks...I appreciate the feedback. The photographer in me is battling the mtn biker who is battling the fisherman all of whom are battling the wilco fan and appreciator of contemporary art.

At least I have finally decided to make this trip w/out taking the wife & kids.

Savoy sounds very appealing even though I would have to drive back and forth. I might prefer the scenery over the convenience.

decisions decisions. either way i am glad i finally decided to pull the trigger and see the show.

Thanks...I appreciate the feedback. The photographer in me is battling the mtn biker who is battling the fisherman all of whom are battling the wilco fan and appreciator of contemporary art.

At least I have finally decided to make this trip w/out taking the wife & kids.

Savoy sounds very appealing even though I would have to drive back and forth. I might prefer the scenery over the convenience.

decisions decisions. either way i am glad i finally decided to pull the trigger and see the show.

As I said, I don't fish often but I do like taking pictures.

Don't forget downtown. N.A. is full of great, old architecture and interesting street scenes thicker in the valley and thinning out into neighborhoods as the hills get steep. If you frame your shot just right and make it B & W, you can take a picture that could be mistaken as coming from anywhere from the 1950s-70s.

(I should write for the tourism commission...if there is one)

For those wondering start/end times for travel arrangements, I noticed this tagged on to the bottom of the event's page:

"The event takes place from 8:00 p.m. to midnight on Friday evening, 1 p.m. to midnight on Saturday and Noon to 7:30 p.m on Sunday."

For those wondering start/end times for travel arrangements, I noticed this tagged on to the bottom of the event's page:

"The event takes place from 8:00 p.m. to midnight on Friday evening, 1 p.m. to midnight on Saturday and Noon to 7:30 p.m on Sunday."

Very useful information! Thanks for posting that, I hadn't seen it.

As I said, I don't fish often but I do like taking pictures.

Don't forget downtown. N.A. is full of great, old architecture and interesting street scenes thicker in the valley and thinning out into neighborhoods as the hills get steep. If you frame your shot just right and make it B & W, you can take a picture that could be mistaken as coming from anywhere from the 1950s-70s.

(I should write for the tourism commission...if there is one)

Thanks again! I just got one of the last sites at Clarksburg.

what are the odds of tweedy solo set?

to reply to my own post, if anyone is wondering: during the boston show Tweedy said something along the lines of: "all of our side projects are going to play." So, I'm hoping that by use of "our" he is implying that he too will be playing a set that is not formally a Wilco set?

Maybe i should just stop thinking about this... :blush

Totally off topic, but whoever first mentioned priceline and betterbidding sites THANK YOU!!! :cheekkiss I'm planning my trip at the moment and had never heard of those websites, I've saved heaps. My trip is working out much cheaper than I thought, which are words I have never uttered in conjuction together in my life.

Does anyone have any more info about what time Wilco might play on Sunday? Have to make hard decisions about flying out Sunday evening and don't want to miss a single note. Surely the band/management want to HELP US enjoy this festival and give us the information we need to make travel plans!

Try looking 4 posts back....

Odd that they did not list Savoy State Park? It's much closer than some of the campgrounds that they did list.

I noticed that too. I'm assuming it's the secret underground cool-kid's place to camp.

I have tossed a Clarksburg Reservation back to them. I cancelled and will be mailing in my deposit for my Windsor Lake Reservation.

People should post here if they get their tickts in the mail as well. I'm hoping they will be coming soon!

Totally off topic, but whoever first mentioned priceline and betterbidding sites THANK YOU!!! cheekkiss.gif I'm planning my trip at the moment and had never heard of those websites, I've saved heaps. My trip is working out much cheaper than I thought, which are words I have never uttered in conjuction together in my life.

That would have been me and another fine person here on the board. Glad it's working out for you. thumbup.gif

We've yet to lock in our lodging but I fully expect to get a nice (3 or 4 star) hotel (outside Albany NY) about an hour away from North Adams in the $40-50 a night range, via Priceline of course.

That would have been me and another fine person here on the board. Glad it's working out for you. thumbup.gif

We've yet to lock in our lodging but I fully expect to get a nice (3 or 4 star) hotel (outside Albany NY) about an hour away from North Adams in the $40-50 a night range, via Priceline of course.

i'm still waiting, then i'll be trying to do the same! thank you for mentioning this earlier. that forum mentioned has proved to be super informative.

There's a new FAQ section on the festival website.

http://solidsoundfestival.com/info/f-a-q

No smoking. Understandable but I hope they allow some ins and outs if I want to step away from the crowd for a cigarette.

Did we already know the art or is this new too?

Art on display in the galleries during the festival includes the Sol LeWitt Retrospective (chosen #1 exhibition of the year by Time magazine); Inigo Manglano Ovalleʼs Gravity is a Force to be Reckoned with; a major exhibition of work by Petah Coyne; Material World: Sculpture to Environment; Leonard Nimoyʼs Secret Selves; and a new installation by Michael Oatman.