Wilco Solid Sound Festival

There's one of those...what are they called? Smokers stations? There's one of those weird, plastic things in front of the entrance to the museum.

I smoke out front. There's lots of places to sit. We'll all have wristbands so I don't think going in and out would be an issue.

I'm not sure on the art but the Sol LeWitt exhibit apparently will be up until 2033.

• Replies 782
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Sol Lewitt exhibit alone is worth a drive/admission to MASSMoCA. Incredible. Most of the rest of the list is exhibitions that are permanent part of the museums display. No real word on "Wilco Specific" stuff.

Really really stoked for this. It'll be only my second/third time seeing Wilco (first time was at Lollapalooza 2008. A great time, but too short!!).

It's going to be rough planning my stay though. I'm flying out from Chicago to Boston and then gonna try to find somewhere really cheap and affordable to stay nearby (on a student aides budget, this isn't easy. 37 hr weeks this summer though, heck yeah.)

also, first post. hi!

just got some info...some great additions, including the truly incredible Sir Richard Bishop!

Joining the Chicago band are Sub Pop’s Avi Buffalo and Vetiver, guitarist Sir Richard Bishop, Bennington, VT trio Mountain Man, Portland, ME indie-rockers Brenda, North Adams, MA duo The Books and Chicago’s jazz combo the Deep Blue Organ Trio.

And I hear good things about Avi Buffalo, as well. :thumbup

I've been listening to their new album in the last week or so. It's got a very sunny indie pop sound to it, perfect for this time of year, and I think they'd be a good lead-in to Pronto or the Autumn Defense. They're a great choice, I think :thumbup

Offical from Wilco HQ. I'm a bit concerned as now it states only one Wilco set? Should we still expect two?

Today we're announcing the first of several lineup additions to Wilco's Solid Sound Festival at Mass MoCA (in North Adams, MA) August 13-15. The full announcement is here, but the gist is we've added the following artists to the bill:

Avi Buffalo (Long Beach, CA)

Sir Richard Bishop (Seattle, WA)

Vetiver (San Francisco, CA)

Mountain Man (Bennington, VT)

Brenda (Portland, ME)

The Books (North Adams, MA)

Deep Blue Organ Trio (Chicago, IL)

We've also scheduled the Bread and Puppet Theater (Glover, VT) and Story Pirates (NYC). This on top of the previously announced Wilco headline set (Saturday evening) and sets by The Nels Cline Singers, On Fillmore, The Autumn Defense, and Pronto. Expect more announcements in the coming weeks. But as you can see, the festival is beginning to take shape. Tickets are on sale now. You should note that capacity for this event will be limited to 8,000 for the entire weekend and that this is one of only 3 North American performances by Wilco this summer. So act soon. Remember, early bird pricing is available only through May 31. Having just returned from a visit to the museum... we here at HQ couldn't be more psyched about both the programming and the location. The spaces and the exhibits are stunning and August in the Berkshires is really about as good as it gets. Stay tuned in the coming weeks for confirmation of more bands, comedy, films, etc. as things "solidify" at Solid Sound.

Peace & warm breezes,

the HQ staff

Avi Buffalo (Long Beach, CA)

Sir Richard Bishop (Seattle, WA)

Vetiver (San Francisco, CA)

Mountain Man (Bennington, VT)

Brenda (Portland, ME)

The Books (North Adams, MA)

I have to admit - I had not heard of any of these bands before this announcement.

i've not heard of 3 (mountain man, brenda, deep blue organ trio) but i've seen all the others aside from avi buffalo, who i'll also be seeing @ ATP this year (The Books are playing that too).

Rick Bishop has been a favorite of mine for a long time, and he's an incredible guitar player. along w/ his brother Alan and friend Charlie, they recorded a ton of records as Sun City Girls...check 'em out! sadly Charlie died of cancer in '08, and the remaining brothers ended the project.

The lineup thus far seems a little underwhelming compared to my imagination.

The lineup thus far seems a little underwhelming compared to my imagination.

I just pulled the trigger! :dancing

We can't stay all day Sunday. :ohwell on Monday my wife has her first day of teacher in service before the school year starts and Texas is a long way from North Adams! I can't think of a better way to end the summer of 2010! :thumbup

This on top of the previously announced Wilco headline set (Saturday evening) and sets by The Nels Cline Singers, On Fillmore, The Autumn Defense, and Pronto.

I hope Wilco are playing more than just Saturday night.

I have seen these guys several times at jazzfest here in Chicago. They are a pretty standard Hammond B-3 type of group, with the stand-out member being Bobby Broom on guitar (drums is the third part of the trio.) They play a regular gig at the Green Mill which is down the street from the Riviera.

Not sure I would go all the way to MA to see them, but as part of the rest of the lineup they are pretty good.

LouieB

FYI I talked to someone at Windsor Lake campground yesterday to make sure they recieved my deposit and had the right dates. She informed they still had spots open! This is the campground closest to the venue. She expects a sell out soon but they do still have spaces available. It's $26 a night and walking distance to the venue. A steep walk on the way back but still doable.

Exactly. I'm seriously concerned. I could swear initially they said 2 sets!!

i have never seen anything but a Saturday night Wilco show announced. Most of their shows are two sets anyway. The opening set and the encores. When you play three hours, thats two sets. Even if you only break for a short time.

I can't believe anyone will NOT get their fix of wilco over that weekend.

can anyone give me an estimate on the cost of a cab ride from pittsfield to the fest grounds? really stressing out finding cheap'ish hotels (around $110 a night, or less...and yes) and found some decent values in the area. I would just do the camping gig, but my girlfriend and I need a hotel to crash at, since we dont have camping equipment + we'd enjoy the privacy of a private hotel room ( :shifty )