Wilco Solid Sound Festival

Yes, it's Eastern time.

Thanks! :) I notice theres a big arse gap between May and September in terms of touring, so I'm hoping some more shows get announced around then that I can pick up as I sight see (multitasking...)

• Replies 782
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think you need to purchase tickets at exactly the time tickets go on sale. They are general admission for a three day event. People will be coming and going. I wouldn't be surprised if tens of thousands of people will come through the event over the weekend. I don't think it is possible to sell out like a regular Wilco concert in a theater. But if you buy them early you get a bit of a discount. I'd be more worried about finding a room to stay in near by to avoid long travel distances everyday.

I'm very bad spatially and totally talking out my arse, but I don't know - I've been there and I have a hard time imagining where they would put even a thousand people.

I've been studying this for clues.

Info about the site.....It doesn't look too big.....Might be good idea to get tickets early as well.

slideshow.....

http://www.massmoca.org/tour_slideshow01.php

Facts

Description

MASS MoCA is the largest center for contemporary arts in the United States. The institution is dedicated to the creation and presentation of provocative visual and performing arts pieces, and of works that blur conventional distinctions between artistic disciplines. In addition, MASS MoCA functions as a laboratory for the contemporary arts, fostering experimentation by artists, encouraging collaborations among institutions, and allowing visitors a behind-the-scenes look at the creative process.

Opening Date

May 30, 1999

Campus

MASS MoCA is housed on a 13-acre campus of renovated 19th-century factory buildings in North Adams, Massachusetts. The complex occupies nearly one-third of the downtown business district.

By coupling the versatility and size of its spaces with the latest digital, fiber optic, and new media technologies, MASS MoCA is able to present and catalyze the creation of works that can be shown nowhere else in the world. These facilities serve as a testing ground to expand and redefine the nature of contemporary art.

Facilities include:

■19 light-filled galleries with more than 100,000 square feet of exhibition space, including a single gallery as long as a football field.

■10,000-square-foot black box theatre with a clear-span 30-foot ceiling, which can accommodate up to 850 seats.

■3,500 square foot lab theater.

■Outdoor cinema with a 50-foot-wide movie screen and a 70 mm projector.

■Two performance courtyards, one of which spans 22,500 square feet.

■Workshop and art fabrication facilities.

■5,000 square feet of rehearsal and production support space.

■60,000 square feet of office and retail space for commercial tenants in the communications, high tech, and new media industries.

Project Cost

$31.4 million (including $3 million in contributed real estate and $4 million in environmental engineering and feasibility studies)

Project Funding

$22 million construction grant from the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.

$9.4 million in private funds for construction support.

Institutional Funding

$5.6 million in private contributions for programming and start-up. Programming and general operating costs will continue to be supported by admissions revenue and fund-raising initiatives.

Renovation Team - Phase One

Project Architects

Bruner/Cott + Associates, Inc., Cambridge, MA

Feasibility Study:

Bruner/Cott + Associates, Inc., Cambridge, MA

F. O. Gehry + Associates, Inc., Santa Monica, CA

Venturi Architects, Philadelphia, PA

Skidmore, Owings & Merrill, New York, NY

Contractor:

Peabody Construction, Braintree, MA

Programming Partners

MASS MoCA seeks to expand the region's cultural landscape, encourage interactions between its constituencies, and allow cross-disciplinary projects that further the institutions' individual missions.

Sterling & Francine Clark Art Institute, Williamstown, MA

Jacob's Pillow Dance Festival, Becket, MA

Williams College Museum of Art, Williamstown, MA

Williamstown Theatre Festival, Williamstown, MA

Norman Rockwell Museum, Stockbridge, MA

Philadelphia Museum of Art, Philadelphia, PA

Bang on a Can, New York, NY

Williamstown Jazz Festival, Williamstown, MA

Commercial Tenants

MASS MoCA has developed 60,000 square feet for commercial tenants in the communications and new media industries, facilitating collaborations between artists and innovative businesses.

I think one of the most interesting things about this project is that it gives each band member a venue to showcase their side projects before an appreciative audience. Jeff Tweedy has been accused of being manipulative, opportunistic and heartless in his treatment of former bandmates, but this is a credit to being a band with a capital B.

I also didn't see anything mentioned about Loose Fur ... just saying.

My birthday is the 12th so I guess this is a no brainer. Here's hoping for Loose Fur and Golden Smog sets.

After 6 hrs of Wilco over the weekend in NJ (not counting hrs spent waiting in line), I was really thinking to myself that it's time for a wee bit of a break from the fellas. This certainly complicates things.

Also, I am going to be the guy who wonders when Loose Fur gets added as a side-project performing. Yes, I am that guy.

Are the only tickets available for three days? Do you think it will be possible to buy a ticket for a single day? Not sure if I'll be able to afford the hotel etc... Living two hours away I'd be able to make the trip once, but doing so three days in a row would be a bit much.

Also, just noticing that the Holiday Inn has a "mass moca" special where you receive 2 adult passes to the event when you book your room. Not sure how much you save, as the room is $179.99/night. Looking around for the cheapest hotel possible...

Also, just noticing that the Holiday Inn has a "mass moca" special where you receive 2 adult passes to the event when you book your room. Not sure how much you save, as the room is $179.99/night. Looking around for the cheapest hotel possible...

It sounds like the festival admission includes access to Mass Moca already so you can choose a cheaper hotel room option @ the Holiday Inn.

http://solidsoundfestival.com/

"Festival attendees will have full access to the entire MASS MoCA campus,

which incorporates 150,000 square feet of galleries. MASS MoCA, a renovated 19th

century textile mill, is the largest center for contemporary visual and performing arts in

the U.S. Art on display in the galleries during the festival includes the Sol LeWitt

Retrospective (chosen #1 exhibition of the year by Time magazine), Inigo Manglano

Ovalleʼs Gravity is a Force to be Reckoned with, Petah Coyneʼs Material World:

Sculpture to Environment, Leonard Nimoyʼs Secret Selves and a new installation by

Michael Oatman."

http://www.billboard.com/#/events/wilco-planning-three-day-festival-in-massachusetts-1004081102.story?tag=hpfeed

Wilco Planning Three Day Festival in Massachusetts

Chicago rock act Wilco is getting into the festival game this summer, curating its own Solid Sound Festival weekend in North Adams, Mass. Set for the weekend of August 13 - 15, Wilco has teamed with the Massachusetts Museum of Contemporary Art andand among the acts to appear alongside Wilco are drummer Glenn Kotche's side-project, On Fillmore; bassist John Stirratt's band the Autumn Defense; guitarist Nels Cline's Nels Cline Singers; and multi-instrumentalist Mikael Jorgensen's Pronto.

Details are still being ironed out, but the band will tentatively perform a headlining show on Saturday, August 14, as well as play in some capacity on Sunday, August 15. Other musical acts will also be invited.

Tickets go on sale Friday, April 9 with three day passes set at $86.50, which includes all fees and parking as well as admission to the Museum of Contemporary Art for the entire weekend. The price goes up on June 1 to $99.50. No individual day passes will be sold.

The festival will take place on the Massachusetts Museum of Contemporary Art's campus, whose main facility is a 19th Century textile mill building and will feature both indoor and outdoor stages.

Along with musical performances, the festival site will include a comedy stage, interactive installations, films, DJs and concert poster screening demonstrations. Of note is an installation by Cline called the "Solid Stomp Soundbox Station," which will be an interactive guitar pedal experience for fans to test out.

Wilco certainly isn't the first band to create a festival under their own guise, but hope to separate themselves from the pack by offering many options besides just going from stage to stage. "The whole thing is designed to be multi-faceted, with the art being as much a part of it," Wilco spokesperson Deb Bernardini tells Billboard.com. "The idea was to do something a little bit different, where being in the space would be a part of the whole event."

This is part of what's shaping up to be a busy 2010 for Wilco. After briefly starting to record the follow up to 2009's "Wilco (The Album)," the band is currently wrapping up a North American tour. From there, they head to Japan, Australia and New Zealand, before returning to Europe for the last 11 days in May. The second half 2010 will be spent recording, with the Solid Sound Festival and Jazz Aspen in Snowmass, Colorado being the band's only currently scheduled North American dates.

Edited by ditty

http://www.billboard.com/#/events/wilco-planning-three-day-festival-in-massachusetts-1004081102.story?tag=hpfeed

Wilco Planning Three Day Festival in Massachusetts

Cicago rock act Wilco is getting into the festival game this summer, curating its own Solid Sound Festival weekend in North Adams, Mass. Set for the weekend of August 13 - 15, Wilco has teamed with the Massachusetts Museum of Contemporary Art andand among the acts to appear alongside Wilco are drummer Glenn Kotche's side-project, On Fillmore; bassist John Stirratt's band the Autumn Defense; guitarist Nels Cline's Nels Cline Singers; and multi-instrumentalist Mikael Jorgensen's Pronto.

Details are still being ironed out, but the band will tentatively perform a headlining show on Saturday, August 14, as well as play in some capacity on Sunday, August 15. Other musical acts will also be invited.

Tickets go on sale Friday, April 9 with three day passes set at $86.50, which includes all fees and parking as well as admission to the Museum of Contemporary Art for the entire weekend. The price goes up on June 1 to $99.50. No individual day passes will be sold.

The festival will take place on the Massachusetts Museum of Contemporary Art's campus, whose main facility is a 19th Century textile mill building and will feature both indoor and outdoor stages.

Along with musical performances, the festival site will include a comedy stage, interactive installations, films, DJs and concert poster screening demonstrations. Of note is an installation by Cline called the "Solid Stomp Soundbox Station," which will be an interactive guitar pedal experience for fans to test out.

Wilco certainly isn't the first band to create a festival under their own guise, but hope to separate themselves from the pack by offering many options besides just going from stage to stage. "The whole thing is designed to be multi-faceted, with the art being as much a part of it," Wilco spokesperson Deb Bernardini tells Billboard.com. "The idea was to do something a little bit different, where being in the space would be a part of the whole event."

This is part of what's shaping up to be a busy 2010 for Wilco. After briefly starting to record the follow up to 2009's "Wilco (The Album)," the band is currently wrapping up a North American tour. From there, they head to Japan, Australia and New Zealand, before returning to Europe for the last 11 days in May. The second half 2010 will be spent recording, with the Solid Sound Festival and Jazz Aspen in Snowmass, Colorado being the band's only currently scheduled North American dates.

Leave it to Billboard to not only misspell Chicago, but also completely leave out Pat Sansone in the mention of Autumn Defense. :angry

Edit: Okay, I'll forgive the misspelling since they had a fancy drop cap in the link, but not the omission of Sansone. That's just lazy "journalism."

Can anyone from out that way recommend places to camp? I see that there's a few state parks around the area. $180/night for a poorly rated Holiday Inn is doesn't sound like nearly as much fun as camping with a bunch of Wilco nuts!

Can anyone from out that way recommend places to camp? I see that there's a few state parks around the area. $180/night for a poorly rated Holiday Inn is doesn't sound like nearly as much fun as camping with a bunch of Wilco nuts!

I live in North Adams.

This is probably the closest (quite a hike but you could walk it if you were determined): Windsor Lake

This is maybe 10 or 15 minutes by car at the most: Clarksburg State Park

For those of you who have expressed concerns, the Holiday Inn is a perfectly fine place to stay. It's really your standard hotel of the kind we have stayed at many times when traveling to see Wilco.

I couldn't believe the news they were doing this in my hometown. I've been saying for years it would be the perfect place for a Wilco show; I never dreamed we'd get a festival.

...if I can help anyone else with local information, let me know.

...if I can help anyone else with local information, let me know.

Is there any fun stuff to do around the town that we can do on Thursday night and Friday morning if we are bored? We are driving in from Michigan and checking in on Thursday afternoon.

Is there any fun stuff to do around the town that we can do on Thursday night and Friday morning if we are bored? We are driving in from Michigan and checking in on Thursday afternoon.

The Range has mini-golf and batting cages: 1190 S State St, North Adams, MA 01247 phone:(413) 663-3030

This is the place to eat: The Hub

There's no shortage of bars. The Mohawk is close to MOCA and is an interesting mix of mill city locals and the arts crowd in the summer.

I'll try to think of some more later. Anything in particular, you were looking for?

How many bedrooms do you have? :ninja

Ha! I guess I set myself up for that one. Sorry, no vacancy.