Wilco Solid Sound Festival

PSA

I just listed a pair of tkt on Stub Hub and took a look see at Solid Sound tix listed on stub hub

If you have not Bought .. and of course I wished I waited there are some ridiculous prices here

https://www.stubhub.com/solid-sound-festival-tickets/wilco-solid-sound-festival-north-adams-8-13-2010-967581/

• Replies 782
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I strongly recommend people getting there in time on Saturday to check out Rick Bishop...the guy is a MASTER of guitar, extremely sharp-witted, and just a great all-around human.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzCqVhnenVE

He looks pretty amazing!

In other news, I just saw on Steve Wynn's newsletter that Peter Buck will be unavailable for the Baseball Project, but will be (very capably, I'm sure) filled in for by Mike Mills, who has played with the BP on other dates.

Don't miss the Baseball Project. They are fantastic. :worship

Hey guys,

I'm currently in the US, visiting from Australia. I hadn't given much thought to going to Solid Sound as I was originally going to have left the country by now, but as it turns out I've extended my stay and after randomly bumping into Mikael in NYC on Friday night I'm now very keen to go. It looks like tickets are easy enough to come by, but I'm having a bit of trouble trying to organize transport, and accommodation looks like being an issue too. I'm in NYC at the moment but was planning to head to Boston for a couple of days before the weekend, so I've looked at Peter Pan buses but it seems like they don't go to North Adams from Boston, yet they do from New York. Any other recommendations? Anybody driving from Boston (or even NYC) on Friday? I've had a bit of a look for accommodation and it seems like the hotels in North Adams are all booked up. Any advice there? I'll need to stay somewhere fairly close or with easy access to the festival site as I won't have a car. I also can't afford anything too expensive being a struggling backpacker. I'm really hoping that I can get there as it sounds like it's going to be an amazing weekend for the Wilco fan.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer!

Hey guys,

I'm currently in the US, visiting from Australia. I hadn't given much thought to going to Solid Sound as I was originally going to have left the country by now, but as it turns out I've extended my stay and after randomly bumping into Mikael in NYC on Friday night I'm now very keen to go. It looks like tickets are easy enough to come by, but I'm having a bit of trouble trying to organize transport, and accommodation looks like being an issue too. I'm in NYC at the moment but was planning to head to Boston for a couple of days before the weekend, so I've looked at Peter Pan buses but it seems like they don't go to North Adams from Boston, yet they do from New York. Any other recommendations? Anybody driving from Boston (or even NYC) on Friday? I've had a bit of a look for accommodation and it seems like the hotels in North Adams are all booked up. Any advice there? I'll need to stay somewhere fairly close or with easy access to the festival site as I won't have a car. I also can't afford anything too expensive being a struggling backpacker. I'm really hoping that I can get there as it sounds like it's going to be an amazing weekend for the Wilco fan.

I wish I could offer you a ride or a room, but unfortunately the group I'm traveling with is going to be pretty full for both. However, it looks like several people are camping and hopefully someone will come through for you. Williamstown is just about 5 miles up the road, I think, and there may possibly be hotel rooms there (last minute cancellations?). I don't know, of course, but I'll bet that if you can find a place to sleep, you won't have any trouble catching a ride to and from the festival, since I think that's gong to be the big event in North Adams and the surrounding towns for the weekend. You might also look on facebook--there are some people posting about tickets and rides there: http://www.facebook....=app_2373072738

I hope you can make it, and if you do, we're having a VC get-together at 6:30 or so at The Hub in North Adams on Friday night. Come on down!

Hey guys,

did you try this Zipcar thingee they talk about?

http://solidsoundfestival.com/hotels-lodging/transportation-parking

Actually got a chance to look more at that and it ain't that cheap, sorry.

Getting ready to pack the car for the drive up. We're full up as it's a two seater or I'd offer rides. We're taking the Blue Ridge Parkway and some other back roads to make it a sight seeing tour going there.

Hope everyone has a safe journey. See ya there.

Are you guys excited or what? It's finally hitting me how awesome and intimate this weekend with Wilco is going to be. A truly one of a kind experience surrounded with so much art, comedy and a whole museum to roam. I didn't think I was going to have a problem with any conflicts but I already see a couple of instances where I will want to be two places at once. For instance i'm not even a guitar player but the Nels clinic seems to be a priority for me to watch but it means I have to miss Vetiver who I have heard a lot of good about and On Fillmore. Such is life I guess. Sunday however, seems cut and dry. Wouldn't it have made more sense to put the clinics on one day and the comedy on Sunday so there were always alternatives? The way it stands Saturday has music, comedy, clinics and art. Sunday seems to have some films and music? Eh, whatever it's going to be great! That's my point. I'm ready!

Hey guys,

My friend bailed in favor of a trip to Honduras. I have an extra ticket and will be driving from the Boston airport on Friday if that helps.

I'm very new to the site, but I am so excited for this, I can't even concentrate at work :unsure I've seen Wilco many times, I even got to see Uncle Tupelo once when they opened for the Replacements at Toads in New Haven, CT, my wife has seen Wilco three times but she is just starting to really "get" Wilco.

We'll be staying at the Historic Valley Campground, and we were thinking about riding our bikes to the gig, anyone else staying there?

John

I'm very new to the site, but I am so excited for this, I can't even concentrate at work :unsure I've seen Wilco many times, I even got to see Uncle Tupelo once when they opened for the Replacements at Toads in New Haven, CT, my wife has seen Wilco three times but she is just starting to really "get" Wilco.

We'll be staying at the Historic Valley Campground, and we were thinking about riding our bikes to the gig, anyone else staying there?

John

John, we're @ Historic Valley too. If you haven't already, check out some earlier posts re the route from HVC to Mass MoCA: downhill to the venue, a bit of a challenge on the return trip, if I recall correctly.

Historic Valley aka Windsor Lake? We are staying there as well. They should totally be running a shuttle back and forth. I'm fairly certain my reservatoin is for Windsor Lake but everything they sent me might say Historic Valley. So confusing. I'll just follow the map they sent lol. I think we are at site 6.

I think the Historic valley and Windsor lakes campgrounds are one in the same but they are two distinct town parks, oh well. I hear ya Fax, wish they were running the shuttles to all campgrounds including Clarksburg, who knows, maybe they will if aware of how many people are staying at these places. I figure at least half the campers will be for Wilco, if not, why the hell else?

So pumped...

I think this was posted elsewhere but I can't find it now, so I'm including the link here: http://www.developno....com/solidSound

Lots of good information about local attractions, food, shopping, etc. The North Adams chamber of commerce-like organization seems happy to welcome us! (And is hoping we don't take Wilco's advice to "stop shopping" to heart.)

I sent an e-mail to the SolidSound to ask about the possibility this late in the game for shuttles to and from the campground since it would be ridiculous for all of us campers to drive 2 miles to already over crowded parking lots. We'll see if they reply in the next day or so. I'm hopeful. At the very least I asked for suggestions regarding the best way people camping can get to the fest. I'm told that hill is very very steep and it would be a work out of a hike and I don't think I can pull that off after walking around Mass MoCA all day.

I can seem to find if INS/OUTS are available. Also, if I want to smoke a cigarette, it says no smoking, does that mean there won't be a designated smoking area either? Luckily I don't smoke very much as it is but i'm curious as I do tend to socially smoke or take a break when at a fest.

I sent an e-mail to the SolidSound to ask about the possibility this late in the game for shuttles to and from the campground since it would be ridiculous for all of us campers to drive 2 miles to already over crowded parking lots. We'll see if they reply in the next day or so. I'm hopeful. At the very least I asked for suggestions regarding the best way people camping can get to the fest. I'm told that hill is very very steep and it would be a work out of a hike and I don't think I can pull that off after walking around Mass MoCA all day.

I can seem to find if INS/OUTS are available. Also, if I want to smoke a cigarette, it says no smoking, does that mean there won't be a designated smoking area either? Luckily I don't smoke very much as it is but i'm curious as I do tend to socially smoke or take a break when at a fest.

Just FYI, I've called Mass MoCA a couple of times about things, and they do actually answer the phone. How informed the response is depends on who you get, but I've had some luck getting answers. This late in the game, maybe a phone call tomorrow morning would be better.

The festival website (www.solidsoundfestival.com) does have the following info:

Limited parking will be available at MASS MoCA & in downtown North Adams. There will also be clearly-marked satellite lots located on Routes 2 & 8, with regular shuttles running to MASS MoCA.

Not sure about smoking, but apparently we're all getting fancy wristbands for the weekend, with unlimited coming/going. I found this out when I was asking if it would be possible to exchange my printpass ticket for a hard copy (souvenir). They weren't sure, but told me that the wristband will be something sort of commemorative, not just like neon green paper.

So excited for this weekend.. Before I head north Fridayt, I have my mid-year review and a job interview on Thursday -- so I really can't wait for Friday to come! Not that either the review or interview will be bad, just stressful.

I had a dream last night that I was hanging with Jeff and Glen at SSF and Jeff asked if I wanted to go see Inception after the festival

I sure wish the solid sound web page had some info on taping policies. I would have hoped for this event that Wilco would have arranged a tapers spot for those of us hobbyist. I would love to be able to set my rig up early Saturday for the Wilco show, leaving me free of gear during the day.

I'm sure logistically i will not be able to leave my gear; mainly my 12' stand, in the car for easy retrieval. Any other tapers here have ideas?

The pain in the ass of airport security for me with my gear is enough to almost make me not want the hassle...Almost! :music

Thanks for the input folks. It looks like accommodation is going to be the major stumbling block, but hopefully something will fall into place and I'll be able to make it.

If anybody does hear of any accommodation options, or has booked a room with an extra bed and you want to fill it to bring the cost down, please let me know. I'm a friendly, fun, respectful Aussie guy who seriously doesn't want to miss out on this Wilco extravaganza.