Wilco Solid Sound Festival

• Replies 782
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What book is that from, Gorman? Great photo! It's a bit eerie, to step into the past of a place we all feel so connected to in the present.

Ordered it while we were still at Solid Sound this year...

https://www.amazon.com/Mass-MoCA-Museum-Nicholas-Whitman/dp/0970073801/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1506117198&sr=8-1&keywords=mass+moca

Ah, that looks good! I'd like to read it. I loved Joe Manning's book, "Disappearing into North Adams". That area has a fascinating history.

Speaking of Solid Sound, I saw Kevin Morby 2 nights back. Afterwards I started to walk up to Kevin's guitarist, Meg Duffy. We'd met before, briefly, once when Kevin opened in L.A. for Wilco in Sept. '16 and again, equally briefly, at Solid Sound. So I wasn't sure she'd remember me. But as I approached and she saw me, her face lit up and she called out, "Wilco mom!"
:lol

Hey, I'll take it, I've been called worse.  :spider 

Meg Duffy is a goddess by the way. Damn she is good. 

Ah, that looks good! I'd like to read it. I loved Joe Manning's book, "Disappearing into North Adams". That area has a fascinating history.

Speaking of Solid Sound, I saw Kevin Morby 2 nights back. Afterwards I started to walk up to Kevin's guitarist, Meg Duffy. We'd met before, briefly, once when Kevin opened in L.A. for Wilco in Sept. '16 and again, equally briefly, at Solid Sound. So I wasn't sure she'd remember me. But as I approached and she saw me, her face lit up and she called out, "Wilco mom!"

:lol

Hey, I'll take it, I've been called worse.  :spider

Meg Duffy is a goddess by the way. Damn she is good. 

I did not know about that book.  In my Amazon cart.  And reading the description, I did not know North Adams was also a victim of urban renewal.  Hew Haven was the "model city" for that program.  Needless to say, it failed miserably.

We missed the Morby set at Solid Sound...wish we had seen it.  We were wandering more than usual.

I was fortunate to catch his pop up set inside one of the galleries. Actually, I liked it better than his main set. I have some photos from the pop up set, but the files are too large to share here (1mb max). 

Both my wife and I had issues with the pop ups this year.  We actually preferred them when they really were secret pop ups.  The one I so wanted to see, Waxahatchee, was a disaster, as the workers at MassMoca told everyone the wrong spot and they book a singer whose voice is but a whisper in the largest noisiest room.  We didn't even stay for one song.    

I was so mad at myself for missing Kevin's pop-up...I arrived just moments too late! Dammit. I saw a bit of video from it though (which only made me kick myself harder, it looked fabulous!) Gary, I would LOVE to see your photos!

Gorman, the only good thing about being late for Kevin's pop-up is he was rushing over to help with Waxahatchee's pop-up, so at least I got directed to the right place! I didn't know there had been a problem with where it was supposed to be. I did think that enormous echo-y space was an odd choice for her delicate voice...with no amplification yet! But we got there early and even snagged a couple of chairs from along the wall (My feet were aching by this point) and we wound up close enough to hear Katie's lovely songs pretty well. She has a gorgeous voice.
I need to see her in a club sometime, someplace where these intimate songs can be heard properly.

And if you haven't heard the new record (her 4th), it's one of the best things released this year.  I was starting to lose interest.  Loved her first...then barely liked the second and third.  This one is all about a painful break up, but instead of sounding depressed, she's anger and it rocks!  

And yeah, a mic would have helped a lot!