Wilco Solid Sound Festival

Camping would be interesting and paying to check in a tent might be cheaper than a hotel anyway. It's the flights and rental car that are going to be brutal.

Anyone have any guesses at some of the other non wilco related bands that might play? A set by Feist might be nice and maybe some Grizzly Bear. Do any of the locals know if Albany would be the cheapest airport to fly into or is there something maybe a little further that might be a little cheaper?

I also didn't realized the Holiday jacked up their price. The first night I heard about this fest it looked like reservations were in the 100-120 range. I'm really looking forward to this.

just thinking here-- but, if i were to stay only 2 nights, would it be better to do sat/sun opposed to fri/sat? Did Wilco announce that the 2 shows they are playing are sat/sun or did I just imagine that? Just trying to figure out the cheapest way to go about attending this. Going to buy tix tomorrow regardless ;)

I think their shows would be Friday and Saturday night since the fest ends at 6PM on Sunday. I'm just speculating though.

• Replies 782
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Albany airport is traditionally pretty cheap and easy to deal with. Southwest flies direct. Hartford, CT is next and Manchester, NH and Burlington, VT are big stretches.

Albany = 1 Hour, Hartford = 2 Hours, Manchester/Burlington = 3 Hours.

If you're flying from the west coast and you want ultra cheap you could even fly to Boston or NYC and consider renting a car? If you discount the time it takes you to get out of the airport each of those cities is around 3.5 hours away.

Thanks for the tip, I am flying from the west. If I fly into Albany will I somehow not need a car?

I would say that you would almost certainly need a car. While it make actually be possible to take a bus or taxi to a train station in Albany and then take a train to Pittsfield and then a bus to North Adams, i can say with near certainty without ever having met you that you're not going to want to do that. If, its even cheaper than simply renting a car.

I'd try to hook up with some other VCers flying in and split the cost of a mini-van. If you're staying at the Holiday Inn you wont really need a car once you get there, but if you're staying at the one of the B&Bs you will definately need some transportation.

There are quite a few private folks who are happy to drive to/from the areaAlbany. Williams College and MCLA are both here so there's a small cottage industry of drivers.

I'm also thinking that my site might become a bit of a hub for people looking to drive/ride.

For the person (EDIT: faxman75) who was wondering what days Wilco will play, it says here TENTATIVELY Sat & Sun.

http://www.billboard.com/#/events/wilco-planning-three-day-festival-in-massachusetts-1004081102.story?tag=hpfeed

Wilco Planning Three Day Festival in Massachusetts

Chicago rock act Wilco is getting into the festival game this summer, curating its own Solid Sound Festival weekend in North Adams, Mass. Set for the weekend of August 13 - 15, Wilco has teamed with the Massachusetts Museum of Contemporary Art andand among the acts to appear alongside Wilco are drummer Glenn Kotche's side-project, On Fillmore; bassist John Stirratt's band the Autumn Defense; guitarist Nels Cline's Nels Cline Singers; and multi-instrumentalist Mikael Jorgensen's Pronto.

Details are still being ironed out, but the band will tentatively perform a headlining show on Saturday, August 14, as well as play in some capacity on Sunday, August 15. Other musical acts will also be invited.

I don't think I will be making this, due to my stupid class reunion being that weekend, but I think my sister is going.

Flying into Albany International is, in my experience, not that cheap at all, certainly not when compared to major (like LGA or JFK) airports. There is a shit-ton of lodging in the Capital District, but it is, as was pointed out, a bit of a commute. The Berkshires in general are not calibrated for non-rich people.

RE: Acts: I'd say that there's a good chance that Grace Potter & The Nocturnals play this. Since they were sitting in the row in front of me last night in Concord, NH and presumably heading backstage after the show.

Thanks for the info Mizzy and the repost of the billboard article Worshipper. Anyone else interested in the renting a car/camping idea? Would be cool to coordinate to where we can share the cost of a rental and camp in North Adams and commute back and forth to venue and stuff.

I'm also down for any type of meetup. I'm going to look at more of these Hotel and B&B options as well but you can't beat the price of camping.

What prices were people seeing at the Holiday Inn before they got booked up?

Mind you, I was stoned as shit but I could swear when I looked on the day this was announced (Tuesday?) I saw prices at that holiday in between 100-120.

The Redwood is fine - very basic but yes, the Berkshires in August ain't cheap.

"fine" isn't the way it is described when I googled it. in fact, the reviews are overwhelmingly terrible... check it out:

http://maps.google.com/maps/place?client=safari&rls=en&oe=UTF-8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=redwood+motel+ma&fb=1&gl=us&hq=redwood+motel&hnear=ma&cid=5624468984251997841&ei=kTO-S4zUIYG88gaj4pCSCQ&sa=X&oi=local_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CA0QnQIwAA

you pay for what you get...

The Berkshires in general are not calibrated for non-rich people.

In general that may have some truth, but North Adams is not a rich people town by any stretch of the imagination; it's a mill town.

By "fine" I meant - you're just sleeping there right? Lot's of Berkshires reviews are from people who come to see the paintings at the Clark Art Institute. Their expectations are a bit high.

Oh! The Clark Art Institute is sooo nice!

So I haven't decided. Get up early, drive up and get tickets or sweat it out on my computer at home.......Someone tell me what to do!

I've got both options open - the word I have is that they are selling "Thousands" of tickets but I don't know exactly how many. It's also rain or shine so the Wilco shows will be outdoors because they can't hold that many folks inside. They've had an outdoor concert or two in the past that got rained on and they moved it inside - not so with this one.

Oh! The Clark Art Institute is sooo nice!

So I haven't decided. Get up early, drive up and get tickets or sweat it out on my computer at home.......Someone tell me what to do!

It not going to sell out the first day tickets go on sale stay home