Wilco Solid Sound Festival

• Replies 782
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I though redwood motel was walking distance. Is it not?

It's not. Neither is HOJOs. It would be a long walk.

3.2 miles

Really? Not as bad as I thought.

Just spoke to MoCa on the phone. They are being sneaky about total number of tickets but she did say it was somewhere between 5K and 10K total capacity She said she wasn't certain on how many have sold because she hasn't received online sales numbers yet.

New poster here. Forgive this being my first post but I wanted to get in on the convo while the room bookings are hot. I'm kicking myself for not booking a room on Tuesday when I first saw the tweets about it during the Boston show. Then my husband and I went to the Concord NH show on Wednesday night (amazing--a Wilco show in our own state, finally!) and we didn't book a room when we got home that night either. Sigh.

Anyway, we got our tix this morning and have secured a room ($147/night for 2 doubles) at the 1896 House's Pondside motel property. We live in NH about 2.5hrs from North Adams, which would be ok for 1 day but not a drive to make 2-3 days in a row. Check out www.1896house.com. The great thing about them is the full buffet breakfast (eggs, meat, waffles, the works) included in the room price. We will be bringing our 2 little kids so free breakfast is a big savings. It's 15min/6mi away, not too bad.

I imagine there will be lots of other families at the festival. There were lots of kids at the Shelburne VT Wilco show a few yrs ago, and since they specifically mention that kids 6 & under are free, it makes me think (hope) that there could be lots. MASS MoCA is such an amazing place, I'm sure it will be a blast.

If anyone wants to try Priceline, there are 2 Williamstown hotels in their pool: HoJo and Willows. We tried bids up to $51 this morning and were denied. Check out www.betterbidding.com for cool bidding strategies.

This part of Masschusetts is called "The Berkshires" and hotel rooms fill up for the summertime well in advance anyway. The popular Williamstown Theatre Festival draws huge crowds during the summer

I actually know a guy who's on the Board of Trustees of this (more like my parents know him, he's a family friend). That festival attracts ridiculous numbers of celebs. He's told all kinds of stories of Jack Nicholson sleeping on his couch, Gwyneth Paltrow swimming in his pool and forgetting her swimsuit at his house, etc. Shouldn't be surprising if a few recognizable faces show up at WilcoFest '10.

Looks like there are a couple of very nice $175 rooms here along with a few pricier ones.

http://topiainn.com/

It's about a 10-15 min drive from the venue but this place is really nice - if it's in your price range I would move quickly on this one. I heard from a friend today that most of the cheaper Williamstown hotels are already sold out.

The only walking distance hotels are Holiday Inn and the Porches - both sold out.

From my snooping today around it seems that almost all hotels are booked, cheap ones and expensive ones.

We might go with the camping option.

Worst case we live 30 miles from there so we drive.

I received and e-mail back from Windsor Lake Campground.

We have staff at the campground who are there now even though their season doesn't begin to May 15th. There is a phone 413-662-3198 which you may leave a message at and they will return your call to book sites for the intended date. If you don't receive a response in a timely fashion, please feel free to contact me again.

I have put in two messages, yesterday and today. Hopefully they call Monday so I can get this squared away soon.

I received and e-mail back from Windsor Lake Campground.

We have staff at the campground who are there now even though their season doesn't begin to May 15th. There is a phone 413-662-3198 which you may leave a message at and they will return your call to book sites for the intended date. If you don't receive a response in a timely fashion, please feel free to contact me again.

I have put in two messages, yesterday and today. Hopefully they call Monday so I can get this squared away soon.

Here's the longer, somewhat flatter route:

2.514 miles

* Start at GEORGE FAIRS WAY, NORTH ADAMS

* Turn Right on GEORGE FAIRS WAY - go 0.10.2 mikm

* Bear Right on BRADLEY ST

* Turn Left on KEMP AVE - go 0.71.1 mikm

* Turn Right on E MAIN ST - go 0.20.4 mikm

* Turn Left on MOHAWK TRL(RT-2) - go 0.50.8 mikm

* Continue to follow RT-2 - go 0.71.1 mikm

* Turn Right on HOLDEN ST(RT-8)

* Turn Left on ST ANTHONY'S DR(RT-8) - go

* Turn Right on MARSHALL ST - go

* Turn Left on MASS MOCA WAY

* Arrive at 1040 MASS MOCA WAY, NORTH ADAMS, on the Left

Here's the path I would probably take:

Distance: 1.692.7 miles

* Start at GEORGE FAIRS WAY, NORTH ADAMS

* Turn Right on GEORGE FAIRS WAY - go 0.10.2 mikm

* Turn Left on BRADLEY ST - go 0.30.5 mikm

* Turn Right on CHURCH ST(RT-8A) - go 0.81.4 mikm

* Continue to follow RT-8A

* Turn Left on VETERANS MEMORIAL DR(RT-2) - go 0.20.3 mikm

* Turn Right on HOLDEN ST(RT-8)

* Turn Left on ST ANTHONY'S DR(RT-8) - go

* Turn Right on MARSHALL ST - go

* Turn Left on MASS MOCA WAY

* Arrive at 1040 MASS MOCA WAY, NORTH ADAMS, on the Left

You might want to look at it on a map and decide. We walked a good distance in Portland, Maine last summer and it was part of the fun; it's all what you're looking for. In Portland we discovered the pier by the sound of Wilco warming up.

I live a nearly equal distance and we don't plan on driving.

Looks like if hotels become truly scarce both Brattleboro, VT and Albany, NY are an hour each away. Not ideal, but not the end of the world.

Looks like if hotels become truly scarce both Brattleboro, VT and Albany, NY are an hour each away. Not ideal, but not the end of the world.

You'll be better served by Bennington, VT first - then Pittsfield, MA

Bennington will be about 1/2 hour away and Pittsfield maybe 40 minutes or so. As you go south of Pittsfield there are lots more options but still, for the reasons I stated before, you'd better book early.

I had booked the HOJO in Williamstown, but found a cute bed and breakfast -- Bells Victorian -- in Adams,7 minutes away. I'm in the Cottage Room, and there's tea and cookies and waffels for breakfast! This may be my only summer trip, so I figured I'd do something different whoo-hoo!

Any who, I'mn cancelling my HOJO reservation, so there should be a room opening up

You'll be better served by Bennington, VT first - then Pittsfield, MA

Bennington will be about 1/2 hour away and Pittsfield maybe 40 minutes or so. As you go south of Pittsfield there are lots more options but still, for the reasons I stated before, you'd better book early.

Agreed. You blink and you're in Vermont or maybe New York. Other than my Dad telling me it was famous, I don't know much but try this place: Four Chimneys. It's on the pricey side.

If anyone wants to try Priceline, there are 2 Williamstown hotels in their pool: HoJo and Willows. We tried bids up to $51 this morning and were denied. Check out www.betterbidding.com for cool bidding strategies.

shhhh....you're giving out my secrets! eyebrow.gif just kidding thumbup.gif

and welcome to the board!

in the last two years i have made out very well all over the country with priceline and betterbidding.

got my tix yesterday and we plan to play it by ear on the lodging, but are prepared to commute from the albany area if necessary to save money. i'm thinking we should be able to get a 3 or 4 star hotel in or near albany for $50 a night or less.

shhhh....you're giving out my secrets! eyebrow.gif just kidding thumbup.gif

and welcome to the board!

in the last two years i have made out very well all over the country with priceline and betterbidding.

got my tix yesterday and we plan to play it by ear on the lodging, but are prepared to commute from the albany area if necessary to save money. i'm thinking we should be able to get a 3 or 4 star hotel in or near albany for $50 a night or less.

is this really possible? I'll have to check out betterbidding! please do share your secrets! as a poor college student, $50 a night sounds fantastic :)

is this really possible? I'll have to check out betterbidding! please do share your secrets! as a poor college student, $50 a night sounds fantastic smile.gif

better bidding gives you an idea of what hotels come up at what prices on priceline (and hotwire too). a great reference tool, and it's constantly updated by real people getting real deals.

there are tons of hotels in the troy and albany ny areas and i don't mind driving an hour in that part of the country. good luck to you!

better bidding gives you an idea of what hotels come up at what prices on priceline (and hotwire too). a great reference tool, and it's constantly updated by real people getting real deals.

there are tons of hotels in the troy and albany ny areas and i don't mind driving an hour in that part of the country. good luck to you!

I'm going to put a bid in, thought it feels a bit early, seems like I'm most likely to get a deal closer to the date. I'm a bit uneasy about putting in credit card info without being able to see what I'm buying first... we'll see, i've only begun checking this out. thanks for the heads up, looks like it is worth checking out. let us know how it works out for you :)

Was so caught up in trying to get out of town for the long drive to Wilco's Concord show that I didn't jump on a room the second I heard about Solid Sound even though recently stayed at the Holiday next to MassMoCA. Yes, That Was Very Dumb !

If you are hunting . . .

My fourth attempt in Williamstown earned me a room @ $139/ night here http://www.williamsinn.com/

Bad news is that was mid-morning yesterday (Friday) and the desk person said I was her 6th reservation in under an hour.

It is also a short walk from the Williams College Theater which will be in mid-run of their Jeff Buckley/ Romeo & Juliet production that weekend so that's more competition.

Hopeful news is it's a 125 room hotel.

Good luck.

I'm going to put a bid in, thought it feels a bit early, seems like I'm most likely to get a deal closer to the date. I'm a bit uneasy about putting in credit card info without being able to see what I'm buying first... we'll see, i've only begun checking this out. thanks for the heads up, looks like it is worth checking out. let us know how it works out for you smile.gif

my advice, stay away from bidding on a one-star hotel unless it's last minute and there are no other options....start at the highest star level and don't go below two-star.

First post - Hi everyone!

My wife and I will be driving to the festival from Grand Rapids, MI on Thursday Aug 12. If anyone else is driving from Michigan that day, let me know. It might be fun to caravan and share some meals along the way.

-Mark

My wife and I will be driving to the festival from Grand Rapids, MI on Thursday Aug 12. If anyone else is driving from Michigan that day, let me know. It might be fun to caravan and share some meals along the way.

-Mark

I'm from GR but I will be leaving from Auburn Hills area with my girlfriend. We're driving on Thursday too.

-Mark

On a Thursday you may want to cut through southern Ontario and avoid the snarls in Cleveland. If you do, take the border at Niagara Falls (Rainbow Bridge)-- it's generally faster than the Lewiston and Buffalo crossings.

:cheers