Wilco -- 4/7/10, Concord, NH

I never know if it's just overkill to start an "After The Show" thread on a show that's been webcast since pretty much everybody who cares already listened to it. But in the interest of title conventions, if nothing else, here was the complete setlist as played for Concord (or is it Con-curd? Cahn-cud? :lol):

"The Price Is Right" theme music intro—

Wilco (the song)

IATTBYH

Ashes of American Flags

Bull Black Nova

You Are My Face

One Wing

A Shot in the Arm

At Least That's What You Said

Radio Cure

Handshake Drugs

Impossible Germany

I'll Fight

California Stars

Poor Places>

----into acoustic set----

Spiders (Kidsmoke)

You and I

Why Would You Wanna Live

Cars Can't Escape

Hesitating Beauty

War on War

Laminated Cat

Passenger Side

----out of acoustic set----

Airline To Heaven

Summer Teeth>

Misunderstood

Can't Stand It

Jesus, etc. (crowd singalong)

You Never Know

Heavy Metal Drummer

Hate It Here

Walken

I'm The Man Who Loves You

In The Street [big Star]

------------------

Hoodoo Voodoo

I'm A Wheel

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A few random observations then...

Kind of a weird crowd, I thought. It seemed like, for whatever reason, the air went out of the proverbial sails somewhere around "Jesus, etc." The crowd singalong was pretty weak and Jeff went back on mike quicker than I've seen in a while (i.e. even before the "Voices whine..." verse).

The song also provided a couple of awkward moments when a drunk woman apparently mistook Jeff's encouragement to sing along as an indication that she should come right up to the stage -- she probably would have tried to get on the stage if Jeff hadn't sort of waved her off -- and then tripped and fell into a little kid in the front row as she tried to go back to her seat. Then at one point, someone in the balcony (I think) yelled really loudly, "I can't hear you, Jeff!" And Jeff was like, no shit...because I'm not singing into the mike. Shortly after, he did go back on mike and in effect cut the singalong short.

Not long after, Jeff jokingly (or not) asked if the band had worn the audience out. People shouted no, but it was clear that the vibe had changed a bit and that was apparently reflected by the omission of several songs on the printed list after "I'm The Man Who Loves You."

On the printed list to close out the main set after Man was:

Hummingbird

Red Eyed/I Got You

Thank You/In The Street

And now for tidbits that about three people will care about...

*Jeff was back to the white Kenneth Coles tonight.

*No rainbow SG tonight. Jeff actually used a guitar I hadn't seen before (or at least in a long time) on Hoodoo. It was a black one that looked almost like a dobro with a big silver circle in the middle. I'm not sure what it was.

*I haven't seen the videos myself, but midshow Jeff pointed out two little kids who were toward the front at stage left who he recognized from their performances of Wilco songs on YouTube. Near the end of the show, he pointed over to the younger of the boys who had been standing in the front row for a while but went back to his seat. The kid had a big smile on his face as he pointed right back at Jeff. It was cute.

*I haven't seen the videos myself, but midshow Jeff pointed out two little kids who were toward the front at stage left who he recognized from their performances of Wilco songs on YouTube. Near the end of the show, he pointed over to the younger of the boys who had been standing in the front row for a while but went back to his seat. The kid had a big smile on his face as he pointed right back at Jeff. It was cute.

Is

it?

Is

it?

Nope! All I can say is HOLY CRAP Jeff not only remembered my kids who met him at Tanglewoods but remembered our home videos as well! The fact that he talked to them last night and complemented them sent both of them into a kind of happy shock that won't wear off for a long time.

Here are some videos:

These are from a music recital held by their music teacher. And if you were wondering they are HUGE Wilco fans and they did make it to school this morning :)

Edit: Also if anyone has a recording from the stream I would love a copy!

Did it last 3 hours.... That might be why songs cut..... :cheers

I got a setlist after the show, saw that they had cut Hummingbird, Red Eyed and Blue/I Got You, and Thank You Friends, and had a fleeting moment of sadness. Then I thought, am I nuts? They just played for a minute or two shy of three hours, and I am bummed that they jettisoned four songs?

Quick observations:

Laminated Cat was excellent.

Cars Can't Escape escaped most people (as did a few other songs), but the diehards made their appreciation known when they started it.

Summerteeth>Misunderstood was a highlight for me.

upnorth: Very cool that Jeff remembered your kids playing Wilco tunes on Youtube. Love that.

Short Editorial:

When I see a setlist posted here with the usual suspects - Handshake Drugs, Shot in the Arm, Impossible Germany, Jesus, etc., etc. - I do not get particularly jazzed. I suppose it is natural to look at a setlist and look for the rarities first. I start to think that the band should drop some of the standards in favor of others. Then I see another show, and remember why they play these songs - because they are phenomenal songs that the crowd loves (and they appear to love playing them). So it was the 10th or 11th time I have seen Shot in the Arm. Doesn't make it any less of a song - in fact, last night's version was about the best I have seen. Handshake Drugs and Impossible Germany were also stellar last night. I will try to remember that when I see future setlists - that they play these songs every night because they rock.

Now...on to Hartford!

I got a setlist after the show, saw that they had cut Hummingbird, Red Eyed and Blue/I Got You, and Thank You Friends, and had a fleeting moment of sadness. Then I thought, am I nuts? They just played for a minute or two shy of three hours, and I am bummed that they jettisoned four songs?

Quick observations:

Laminated Cat was excellent.

Cars Can't Escape escaped most people (as did a few other songs), but the diehards made their appreciation known when they started it.

Summerteeth>Misunderstood was a highlight for me.

upnorth: Very cool that Jeff remembered your kids playing Wilco tunes on Youtube. Love that.

Short Editorial:

When I see a setlist posted here with the usual suspects - Handshake Drugs, Shot in the Arm, Impossible Germany, Jesus, etc., etc. - I do not get particularly jazzed. I suppose it is natural to look at a setlist and look for the rarities first. I start to think that the band should drop some of the standards in favor of others. Then I see another show, and remember why they play these songs - because they are phenomenal songs that the crowd loves (and they appear to love playing them). So it was the 10th or 11th time I have seen Shot in the Arm. Doesn't make it any less of a song - in fact, last night's version was about the best I have seen. Handshake Drugs and Impossible Germany were also stellar last night. I will try to remember that when I see future setlists - that they play these songs every night because they rock.

Now...on to Hartford!

I suspect that some of those standards - Handshake Drugs, Shot in the Arm, Impossible Germany, Jesus, etc - are the same ones that Tweedy was referring to in Bethesda when he said "there are certain songs that we play every night...well, because we like to play them every night." But that's too bad that Cars Can't Escape didn't get a better reaction. I certainly would have been psyched to hear "Why Would You Wanna Live."

Not long after, Jeff jokingly (or not) asked if the band had worn the audience out. People shouted no, but it was clear that the vibe had changed a bit and that was apparently reflected by the omission of several songs on the printed list after "I'm The Man Who Loves You."

i totally agree w/ this. definitely a mood changer, esp as compared to Boston the night before, where the swell became a tsunami.

overall a very good show, though not at the same level as the Boston show, which frankly was incredible.

it probably didn't help that i had a tall guy directly in front of me which blocked my view of Tweedy fairly consistently, and he'd do a sideways head sway move to ensure complete view obliteration from time to time. i probably should have bailed to the back of the room, but wanted to stay w/ my wife.

I agree, it was a strange audience but great show! The Tribute to Big Star made my night. Would love to get a copy of the stream. Anyone have a link?

i'd say we will probably have to wait for somebody to capture it when they put it back up on the roadcase... there were a ton of problems with it last night

i'd say we will probably have to wait for somebody to capture it when they put it back up on the roadcase... there were a ton of problems with it last night

I noticed at one point there was a giant Pop and John was looking around looking like uh oh what just happened.

here's some random musings from me, as continued from the webcast thread...

on the drive up i discovered an 'Error 20' code on my 5D2 camera body...argh. wouldn't clear regardless of what i tried. i get to the venue, get my pass and tickets no problem, grab a bite w/ my wife and friend at The Draft (they were woefully prepared for the onslaught of Wilco fans), then head over to the venue. nice small theater, but restrictions are back of the room. damn; i was hoping for some up front shots that i wasn't able to get in boston, since there were so many photographers clogging the 3 aisles, and it looked like i was the only approved shooter tonight. i inquire a bit more...balcony shooting is ok. the main security guy is on the radio w/ someone, and then says something like 'not up front' and heads off to deal w/ something else. i put 1+1 together, find him again downstairs, and ask if that means that shooting from the far left and right wings is ok. he says 'you're a professional, you know what you're doing.'

so that's good. however, as I made my way down the wing, closer to the stage, the floor slope flattened, and that's where i could have used a step stool...i'm only 5'8" and trying to shoot over standing patrons meant trying to find the holes between the heads. ah well.

on the plus side, my 5D2 became sporadically operational, and i was able to get some shots in between the Err 20 appearances. on the minus side, the 2nd song for Wilco was darkness...they had a great light show for the rest of the concert; this is a band where being able to shoot the whole show would be great, as i didn't get any decent shots of Nels wigging out, or any decent ones of Glen...i was really tempted to break out the camera for the beginning part of 'I'm The Man Who Loves You' when he stands on the kit, arms out-stretched in a triumphant pose, w/ large shadows cast on either side...it's an impressive scene, but i stayed true to the shooting restrictions and just enjoyed the show.

Conquered, New Hampshire?

Cute story about the kids! And I can picture that guitar, P. I'm trying to remember from what.

Wah wah...:yay

As for the mystery guitar, I think he used to use a similar one on "Hell Is Chrome" (one that I dubbed the "King of Thailand" guitar because the big silver sticker or whatever it is features -- I'm serious -- the King of Thailand) but I don't think the one he used last night was that one. I could be wrong, of course; I wasn't close enough to get a detailed look at it. :ninja

Also forgot to mention my favorite bit of banter from last night. It came during the dinner giveaways -- incidentally, this was the first giveaway I've seen that didn't involve a restaurant, I think two of the three winners got 30 bucks from the Concord Co-op grocery store. Anyway, two of the recipients were close enough to the stage that Jeff was able to hand them their prizes. The third was in the balcony, I guess, and before Jeff could tell him to pick up his prize at the soundboard after, the guy said, "I'll meet you after the show, Jeff!" To which Jeff shook his head and said, half jokingly, "I'll be heavily guarded." :lol

Still wanted shake it off.... Completely agree with the comment about the tsunami that was Boston....

I think the crowd honestly was sub-par..... a lot of season ticket holders to the oddest venue I've been too in a while..... very old-world charm (and ushers :-D )

I wasn't digging when people sat.... really killed the mood for me personally and I was pissed off that I looked like a dumbass standing while the entire right side was sitting..... but hey it's my right to stand so :music

On to Hartford and then the Electric Factory..... so pumped for both venues.....

Amazing week in all I must say for Wilco fans!

it probably didn't help that i had a tall guy directly in front of me which blocked my view of Tweedy fairly consistently, and he'd do a sideways head sway move to ensure complete view obliteration from time to time. i probably should have bailed to the back of the room, but wanted to stay w/ my wife.

I hope that this wasn't me, since I seem to remember that we were supposed to be in the same row. I know that there was a guy behind me who was standing like me and his poor girlfriend/wife sat most of the show. Were you in Row R? I had the aisle seat facing Pat.

Still wanted shake it off.... Completely agree with the comment about the tsunami that was Boston....

I think I sat right near you. Some guy within earshot kept screaming out for Shake It Off. I would have loved to hear it too, but I think only Glenn likes playing it. :shifty

Beautiful venue. The AC was cranking folks. :thumbup

The floor of the venue was almost perfectly sized. The seats were spread out enough and the sound was amazing. ($2 bottles of water. $4 beers compared to the $9 at the Orpheum)

Con-chord GRAPES......Con-chord GRAPE JELLY (a bit that Jeff did earlier in the set. I think he asked if we had any grapes.)

The Crowd: Strange is the best word that I can only come up with too. Everyone stood, but I don't think/know that everyone was familiar with Wilco's music as the Boston show.

Why? Well, when the band got to the let's-rock-their-f'ing-socks-off portion of the show last night the crowd's mood & vibe didn't really change into a more rocking mood like in Boston where people were going Batshit crazy from Hate It Here until Outtasite. In fact, if anything Boston had a very surprising type of "homecoming" show vibe. As Bbop said Jeff did check in with the crowd a few times to ask us if we were getting tired. (btw it was 85 degrees during the day so maybe people were feeling tired to begin with.) I think he even joked that they could come back and said that they would come back. (I think they'd come back in a few years. Not every tour.)

Holy Shit There's A Rarity Or Two In My Ears: Why Would You Wanna Live? followed by Cars Can't Escape was simply amazing. I had to get up and show love for those songs. I mostly got up so that I could see them perform the songs. (A weird pattern of people standing/sitting during the acoustic portion.)

I think I gave my last drops of energy for Misunderstood (HIGHLIGHT for me) and Can't Stand It also was a culprit in energy drainage.

Both nights were amazing and a treat to see how different a show can be due to a crowd. I'm very fortunate to have seen them twice on this tour. Plus, getting to and from both shows were simply simple. No big headaches. My friend and I parked on the bottom level of the parking garage of the Capitol Commons near the exit. And it was as I stated in the Just A Fan thread: free. :thumbup

Did anyone try any eateries in Concord before or after the show?

PS Not sure why I feel compelled to post this observation but it gave my friend and I some good laughs. Sitting in the row in front of us were some younger dudes who looked like a Mini-Me version of Stillwater from Almost Famous. They even had their own Kate Hudson. Well, not exactly like her but you know for symmetry.

RE: Preferred B's Conquered NH: I definitely feel like that's an easy go to play on words for the local newspapers. I thought of that when I bought the tickets on January 6th. :pirate

Oh yeah!! John singing lead on In The Street was so amazing. Great to hear him sing 2 nights in a row.

Only show of the swing so I sure have nothing to complain about .....loved it. My seat was Row J seat 105 dead center right beside Mike who was taping (have not checked but will be up soon I'm sure) who also came over from VT for the show. His best friend was 5 rows back in the same seat so I switched so they could sit together....nice move on my part because I sat with some other friends from VT - Grace Potter & The Nocturnals (minus Christine).

I hope that this wasn't me, since I seem to remember that we were supposed to be in the same row. I know that there was a guy behind me who was standing like me and his poor girlfriend/wife sat most of the show. Were you in Row R? I had the aisle seat facing Pat.

i was row R, seat 104...center section, 4th seat in on the right. i guess if i drew a straight line from my seat to the stage, it would land between John and Pat. there was a guy w/ a shaved head on my left, and his wife/partner/lover/insert fave term here. i wasn't sure if you were there or not, but by the time i got to my seat after shooting, the concert was obviously in full swing so introductory talk wasn't possible.

i was row R, seat 104...center section, 4th seat in on the right. i guess if i drew a straight line from my seat to the stage, it would land between John and Pat. there was a guy w/ a shaved head on my left, and his wife/partner/lover/insert fave term here. i wasn't sure if you were there or not, but by the time i got to my seat after shooting, the concert was obviously in full swing so introductory talk wasn't possible.

Yep, I had the aisle seat 101 and my friend had seat 102. You know it didn't even occur to me when I sat there to ask if that was you because the show started a bit earlier.

I'm thinking that the Stillwater looking folks were actually Grace Potter & The Nocturnals. I don't really know what they looked like until I just googled them and it's pretty damn close. If it is her then that Grace Potter is a very attractive woman indeed. :stunned