Wilco -- 4/7/10, Concord, NH

I know its a few days late but I wanted to give a brief review of my hometown experience in "Cahn-Cahd", as I was screaming so intently to Jeff that he could hear it. That was my funniest moments as he couldn't hear me the first time but then someone onstage clued him in and he got it right after a couple tries. "you guys can just change the name of a town whenever you want?", of course Jeff its New England where nothing sounds as it looks! But anyways, the sound, the sound, the sound...the abosulte goddam best sound quality show I have heard other than Shelburne for some reason. Not even Tanglewood comes close. The theatre looks as good as ever after being completely remodeled and the staff are all super nice as I know several. The opening set knocked my socks off as I was expecting this feeling after the acoustic set. Ashes>BBN with Nels wavering above the guitar like a Theremin was heaven-sent, he needs to bust out one of those if he hasn't done so yet. Because of this I am really looking forward to the guitar clinic with Nels at Solid Sound. Anyways, Summerteeth>Misunderstood, Radio Cure were other highlights, I absolutely loved the transition into and out of acoustic, its so cool to see that. Acoustic set was as expected, I love the Wilco expansion/experimentation sound (krautrock as others here call it, which i can't stand cause it ain't even close) of Spiders as we have seen this version before at Jeff solo shows, but Cars Can't Escape, Hesitating Beauty and Lammy Cat were all a surprise and took awhile to figure it out! I haven't seen A Wheel closer for a while so that was a sick way to end it.

Just a couple comments on the crowd which is what I expected at this venue. Alot of the patrons were older members who had no idea who Wilco is, seeing as how its Cahn-Cahd the artsy community had to check them out. So, what we had was a full house for 3-4 songs and then the purple hairs left, which opened things up nicely. I do feel the weather played a role as even I was tired after prepping well for the show. As much as I love Wilco, I do feel that 3+ hours of constant music is a bit much with no breaks at all. I'd rather see two 1.5 hour sets with a hour between. Anyways, I didn't stop rocking the whole show, I never do even as others around me look at me like a freak and I look back at them like a freak for not dancing. Let your FREAK FLAG FLY is my motto, within reason of course! If I am doing anything it takes just to see a band, I am sure as hell going to enjoy myself. But as always, it is New England so you really have to be too cool for school to go wild at a concert like a little girl, YOU are always better than the person next to you, right? Then there are the dad's draggin their kids to the show to show them how cool he is still, but can't go crazy in public so as to set a good example which is all fine with me. Bummed at the lack of weed during this show WTF? It is NH though where its a felony possibly.

All in all, Me and my buddy had a blast. Wished I went to Boston to hear I Must Be High as I requested it in Cahnk (as we affectional call it). FYI, according to Wilco base this was the 3rd time playing in NH, I swear they played UNH in the late 80's early 90's. My favorite shows; Shelburne, Tanglewood, Cahn-cahd, Newport, Missoula, Portland, Lowell,

being a local myself I have to say the best part was being able to wlk home after the show instead of an hours long drive. :) And to those out of town looking for a decent pre-game bar: skip The Draft (it's across the street, always avoid those!), ask a local for walking directions to Penuche's (you'll need them), and for dinner, walk the four blocks to the Barley House.

Hope to see more shows at the Cap Center, and hopefully a blackout to season tix holders unless they agree to stand up.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

i ran a copy from the 8th row

should be ready in a week or so on etree

sorry for the delay

life has gotten in the way again....

dave

That's fantastic news! My kids, who were at the show, are anxious for a bootleg. As a result its had me obsessively checking bootsdaily.com and the Roadcase for a copy. Your work is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff

• 3 weeks later...

sorry for the delay all

i just gave the files to a buddy

hes putting them up onto etree

please contact me if you want to put up on another tracker

sounds great

hes also upping my hartford

run from the front row balcony

i ran a copy from the 8th row

should be ready in a week or so on etree

sorry for the delay

life has gotten in the way again....

dave

Thanks for putting that together Dave. It sounds great!

Edit: Removed offer... sorry

Thanks for putting that together Dave. It sounds great! If anyone is interested I've converted the FLAC to MP3 (192kbs) for my wife's car. I can zip and post it to a file sharing service if anyone wants 'em.

Thanks so much to the folks responsible for putting this up, it sounds really good. It always brings a smile to my face to hear myself sceaming while being recorded.

If anyone is interested I've converted the FLAC to MP3 (192kbs) ... I can zip and post it to a file sharing service if anyone wants 'em.

That's not really a cool thing to do.

Thanks so much to the folks responsible for putting this up, it sounds really good. It always brings a smile to my face to hear myself sceaming while being recorded.

lol...i can hear myself dropping my flask of whiskey twice! Kind clumsy I guess. I had a robocop usher at the end of my row and I had to try to be real discreet. lol

So....was it you yelling 'DOWN IN FRONT" during the acoustic set? j/k that was kinda lame. The whole place was on their feet.

The recording was well worth the wait. Thanks Dave! Great mix. I haven't heard all the shows from this tour but this one might be the best sound quality wise.

That's not really a cool thing to do.

hmm, I'm curious as to why? There are plenty of people out there who would prefer a direct download rather than a torrent. Maybe the kbps could be bumped to 320 or something but FLAC is unecessarily huge for the casual listener.

look at the Boston thread and how many people enjoyed a direct download rip of that set

anyways maybe I'm missing something?

hmm, I'm curious as to why? There are plenty of people out there who would prefer a direct download rather than a torrent. Maybe the kbps could be bumped to 320 or something but FLAC is unecessarily huge for the casual listener.

look at the Boston thread and how many people enjoyed a direct download rip of that set

anyways maybe I'm missing something?

Yes.

One of the reasons The Wilco Live Show Archive was created was so people who can not do Bit Torrent can get the lossless FLAC or SHN files, the very say files that those who do Bit Torrent are getting.

Bit Torrent is no big deal - once you get the hang of it. If you simply can not do it, then that is how it goes. I am able to do BT - that may change, who knows.

You also have to know that I am a collector, and I am attempting to provide for those who will come looking for a show down the road.

At the bottom of a lot of torrent pages you will often find the following:

Please do not sell this show, or spread it around in a lossy [Mp3] format.

Now, if a taper decides to pass Mp3 files around, I can't very well say anything. It's their work, right? I don't agree with it, and I don't like it - but, it is their decision.

When lossy files get introduced into the trading pool - it is really not good.

Last year, I was sent some Wilco shows (by way of someone not on Via Chicago) and I was unable to share them. Why? Because they were mp3 files burned to a disc. I tossed them in the trash.

I use to waste my time going on about this - I don't usually bother anymore. I am probably wasting my time now.

I must say, this is still the only message board I am on that people ask for and/or pass around Mp3 files of live shows.

Basically, it is a general protocol of the tape trading community. Wilco fans have it pretty good. As I said, they can grab the Wilco shows form Bit Torrent or Direct Download - the exact same lossless files.

Then you can take the files, turn them into Mp3s, and do whatever it is that people do with those files.

i'm not a big live tape collector, so one can probably ignore my post...but...some of the recording quality of shows i've heard via Dime and others don't mandate FLAC formats for sound quality...they are thin, tinny, etc...not what you would call a paragon of audio excellence, to be preserved in the highest audio quality setting.

now, i do see the danger of continual compression, but do people really do that? i guess that requiring FLAC does eliminate that sort of thing from happening.

lol...i can hear myself dropping my flask of whiskey twice! Kind clumsy I guess. I had a robocop usher at the end of my row and I had to try to be real discreet. lol

So....was it you yelling 'DOWN IN FRONT" during the acoustic set? j/k that was kinda lame. The whole place was on their feet.

The recording was well worth the wait. Thanks Dave! Great mix. I haven't heard all the shows from this tour but this one might be the best sound quality wise.

No, I would never yell such a thing, and screw those who did. I started the "Cahn-cad" yelling when Jeff messed up the pronounciation after Radio Cure. Basically, Chicago and West of the Mississippi have trouble pronouncing our locales just like we (not me) can't pronounce their's. Like retards who say OR-A-GONE instead or Orugun!

i'm not a big live tape collector, so one can probably ignore my post...but...some of the recording quality of shows i've heard via Dime and others don't mandate FLAC formats for sound quality...they are thin, tinny, etc...not what you would call a paragon of audio excellence, to be preserved in the highest audio quality setting.

now, i do see the danger of continual compression, but do people really do that? i guess that requiring FLAC does eliminate that sort of thing from happening.

All I can tell you is that you may want to read some stuff about live show trading, and lossy verses lossless files.

We are not talking about sound quality, and I disagree with your view on that anyhow.

Yes.

One of the reasons The Wilco Live Show Archive was created was so people who can not do Bit Torrent can get the lossless FLAC or SHN files, the very say files that those who do Bit Torrent are getting.

Bit Torrent is no big deal - once you get the hang of it. If you simply can not do it, then that is how it goes. I am able to do BT - that may change, who knows.

You also have to know that I am a collector, and I am attempting to provide for those who will come looking for a show down the road.

At the bottom of a lot of torrent pages you will often find the following:

Now, if a taper decides to pass Mp3 files around, I can't very well say anything. It's their work, right? I don't agree with it, and I don't like it - but, it is their decision.

When lossy files get introduced into the trading pool - it is really not good.

Last year, I was sent some Wilco shows (by way of someone not on Via Chicago) and I was unable to share them. Why? Because they were mp3 files burned to a disc. I tossed them in the trash.

I use to waste my time going on about this - I don't usually bother anymore. I am probably wasting my time now.

I must say, this is still the only message board I am on that people ask for and/or pass around Mp3 files of live shows.

Basically, it is a general protocol of the tape trading community. Wilco fans have it pretty good. As I said, they can grab the Wilco shows form Bit Torrent or Direct Download - the exact same lossless files.

Then you can take the files, turn them into Mp3s, and do whatever it is that people do with those files.

OK I understand. Within the collector community, there are rules to keep quality control at its highest. I can appreciate that, and the work you do to compile all this stuff for everyone.

That said, to someone not involved you could see how this might seem a tad rigid no? The quality of mp3 encoding has improved substantially over the past years.

I mean no offense, it just sounds weird to tell someone that it's not cool for sharing a show in a certain way. The internet is a democracy!

I appreciate and respect your opinion, Analogmoon. I think it goes back to the days of trading Dead tapes. Those shows were only meant to be shared and tape recorded if anything. It was respectable and familial to do so. Great recording job since the Webfeed went out, doubt we will ever see the SB for this one.

All I can tell you is that you may want to read some stuff about live show trading, and lossy verses lossless files.

We are not talking about sound quality, and I disagree with your view on that anyhow.

so what do i need to learn about live show trading? i know plenty about mp3/FLAC.

if i were to send you a FLAC file of a Billy Childish song, and then a VBR version of the same (say at APX), do you think you could really tell the difference by just listening, w/o having to resort spectrum analysis?

Dudes -

I have no idea who that is, and I am not interested in taking any audio file test.

I am going to say this again - there is a difference between lossless and lossy files.

One of the protocols that they we are usually asked in follow when we decide to participate in live show trading, is that we pass the shows around as lossless files. As they were originally shared.

If someone wants to take the FLAC files and turn them into Mp3 files for their own personal use, they are free to do so. It is not hard to do, if people want to do that, they can do it themselves.

If you do some research, you will see what I talking about.