The Black Keys new album - "Brothers"

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The way I read it sounded like a fair criticism. Padding an album with decent songs brings down the overall quality.

That wasn't the criticism though. Quality of songs is not the issue the reviewer has. It's simply a length issue, and that's just flat out insane.

How about we wait until the next album to worry about that?

You aren't aware that Pitchfork can also predict the future?

That wasn't the criticism though. Quality of songs is not the issue the reviewer has. It's simply a length issue, and that's just flat out insane.

No it isn't, though. I like all these songs, and I don't think there's a "bad" one on the album. But I think a little bit more editing would have made this an even more stunning album.

I think an album can have no bad songs but still feel too long. And length is a perfectly reasonable criticism of an album. I'd rate this much higher than a 7.7, but my criticism would be the same as the Pitchfork review's.

I haven't heard the record yet, so I won't comment on quality of the songs, but the whole album length issue is legit in my mind. Back when there were true constraints on how much space was available it was part of the artistic process to sequence a record worry about flow from two sides of an lp, which is why a double album was such a freaking experiment. It could be the difference between artistic vision and over bloated pretentiousness. The fact that a good majority of bands these days think that they are capable of pulling off what is esentially a double album every time out is ludacris. How bout I not skip through the songs that don't hold up. How about musicians make some decisions on how to make an ideal two sided 35-40 minute listening expierence so we can get back to the record album as art concept. In today's world, use the extra for free digital eps, b-sides, 12 inch spin offs, free downloads. geez? I can think of alot of average records in the last few years that by the end of the 55 minutes were starting to become unlistenable. Conor Oberst & TMVB, Monsters of Folk, just off the top of my head.

except for my obessession with Ryan Adams who can put out a triple album for all I care.

The fact that a good majority of bands these days think that they are capable of pulling off what is esentially a double album every time out is ludacris.

ludacris.jpg

I know he rapped on Blakroc's "Coochie", but how does this guy have to do with The Black Keys, Brothers, and album lengths?

• 4 weeks later...

and did you hear they supposedly have 2 more albums finished and may even release one of those later this year??

sleepy.gif

Tell me more. I've heard they have blakroc 2 in the bin.

Just picked it up at Electric Fetus yesterday. I wowed and amazed the family and friends with the neat special effect on the CD.

:huh what's this?

saw their set at Bonnaroo last month. i can't verbalize how the show was without sounding like an 8th grader. fucking awesome!

:huh what's this?

saw their set at Bonnaroo last month. i can't verbalize how the show was without sounding like an 8th grader. fucking awesome!

Check out the actual CD before and after playing it. Should be quite different.

My favorite thing about Brothers is that it's made me obsessed with a band that I only liked casually before. I love when that happens. I just received copies of The Big Come Up and the Crystal Ballroom DVD in the mail the other day, and I'm thinking about going to Amazon.com to fill in the last couple gaps in my collection. Unfortunately that would blow the rest of my music budget for the month of July.

I'd really like to see these guys live, but I missed them earlier in the year and their next show near me is as an opener for Kings of Leon . . .

My favorite thing about Brothers is that it's made me obsessed with a band that I only liked casually before. I love when that happens. I just received copies of The Big Come Up and the Crystal Ballroom DVD in the mail the other day, and I'm thinking about going to Amazon.com to fill in the last couple gaps in my collection. Unfortunately that would blow the rest of my music budget for the month of July.

I'd really like to see these guys live, but I missed them earlier in the year and their next show near me is as an opener for Kings of Leon . . .

brothers is doing that for me too. really making me appreciate their previous efforts. can't wait to dig into attack and release after this as well as dan's solo record.