Wilco -- 4/10/10, Philadelphia, PA

Out of the many Electric Factory shows I have seen, the sound last night was superb (though I was in the front row on the slight left of Tweedy). The only strange thing was that the barriers between the people and the stage were moved up about 2-3 feet, so there was a slight obstruction of the stage (that footage would usually be reserved for security). Maybe they moved it up for the selling of more tickets; I bet an extra 100 or so could fit in the space allocated. Again, it was superb and it was also fun to chat with those in line with me early (as I got there around 12:15).

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a blast at the Electric Factory last night! I consummated my relationship with several Wilco songs in Philly: You & I, That's Not The Issue, Laminated Cat (full band), and In The Street. (I also hadn't seen/heard I Must Be High or Outtamind/Outtsite live since 1998, so it was essentially secondary virginity for those two.) I was blown away by how hard Dreamer In My Dreams rocked. I hope that becomes a regular part of the setlist rotation because it was a blast. What a great way to start that rocking encore!

It's hard to choose highlights because it was so much fun all around. I don't know if there's any credence to the story that the noise portions of Via are supposed to sound like the L passing overhead, but last night I closed my eyes during the noise to try to imagine it, and it was powerful. Reminiscent of the L? I can see that. But it was powerful without any associations at all.

I do know that "I Must Be High" was never as real for me as it was last night. I had just told Brianne I was fairly certain I was experiencing a contact high when Jeff made note of all the pot in the air. WOW. (Thanks, those of you who donated.) The blue SG--was that for Theologians? (Paul? Help?) God, what a nice sound on that last night! I know Nels is truly a Guitar God , but I still love hearing/watching Jeff solo. And the rainbow SG made an appearance. :cheers Love that one.

So the rave version of I'm A Wheel... Whoa! I was so confused at first! But then it was pure fun. I wish the crowd could have kept it going longer--that is my all-time favorite closer. Next time we'll know what we're doing.

I heard a lot of negative reviews of the Electric Factory, and my neck would have appreciated the stage being about a foot lower, but I had a great time. The talkers were annoying, but I could ignore them for the most part. As was said earlier, when you corral the drinkers in one area, it's bound to get noisy.

It doesn't matter how many songs they play, Wilco shows simply go too fast. Thanks for another great night!

*Maybe "we" can start a Pittsburgh thread and move all the bullshit posts from here to there? WTF people? (And I don't mean Wilco Tango Foxtrot, which I had for the first time last night.)

Yeah, this thread needs more posts unrelated to the show.

It's related because if the prinicpal in a band doesn't like a specific city, that could influence what they play, how they feel about the crowd and generally effect the overal performance.

Don't lump us in with that other asshole; christ, it's the 3rd page of a thread where just about everything that could be said about the show has been. Thanks for the input.

It's related because if the prinicpal in a band doesn't like a specific city, that could influence what they play, how they feel about the crowd and generally effect the overal performance.

Don't lump us in with that other asshole; christ, it's the 3rd page of a thread where just about everything that could be said about the show has been. Thanks for the input.

Walk it off.

*Maybe "we" can start a Pittsburgh thread and move all the bullshit posts from here to there? WTF people? (And I don't mean Wilco Tango Foxtrot, which I had for the first time last night.)

I think I won the "race". :cheers Bottle is sitting on my amp now in Illinois.

I think I won the "race". :cheers Bottle is sitting on my amp now in Illinois.

Indeed, you did. :cheers Well done. I almost threw in the towel near the end, but I eventually finished mine, too. I think even bbop finished one.

The blue SG--was that for Theologians? (Paul? Help?) God, what a nice sound on that last night!

Yep, you got it! :thumbup

So great that you were able to make it out for this show! I had a blast up front with you and B, despite the craning of necks. Sorry I was such bad company for most of the day (and that goes out to H&R from EC, MD as well).

And ah, Wilco Tango Foxtrot: You were very hoppy. :ninja

I had a sip. Not the biggest fan. (Since it was a sip of yours, Tamala, does that disqualify you from the contest?)

Because all of this has a lot to do with the show.

I'm so happy you could come, T! We missed Rob, though. Next time. And next time, maybe they'll opt into "Sonny Feeling."

Best show ever, including Wilmington with the Total Pros. Absolutely loved their song choices in Philly.

I have to say that the EF looks like a dump, but the sound 7-10 rows back from center was perfectly fine to me.

Anyone know what the deal was with the "rave"? It seemed like it caught them by surprise.

I had a great time on Saturday. I've been pretty sick for the last few weeks, so we went up to the bar and got stools in the second tier, about even with the stage. It was a nice bird's eye view, which was a perspective I'd never seen them from before. When I realized how high the stage was after the show, I'm glad I wasn't down there craning my neck all night! The setlist was top-notch. Ashes was a huge surprise, since I doubted they'd play it three shows in a row. It's my favorite song and somehow I'd only heard it performed once prior to Saturday, so it was definitely special. I was also thrilled to get to hear the original version of Sunken Treasure, and it was the first time I'd heard That's Not the Issue, I Must Be High, and the full band version of Dreamer In My Dreams. And the rave remix of I'm A Wheel was so funny, especially that they all stayed on stage for it! :dancing

For the most part, the crowd around us was great, except for two couples in front of us who did nothing but talk and drink the entire night. It was really rude, but it's to the point that I've just come to expect people to act like that at shows and can mostly drown them out. I'm glad Jeff called out the talkers, though obviously they weren't paying enough attention to realize he was dissing them.

This was the first time I got to see the entire new lighting and stage design, since they didn't use the backdrop in Scranton (I'm guessing it probably didn't fit). It's really beautiful, and I hope they keep using it. I spent a good chunk of the night watching Jeff and Nels' shadows.

I wish I could've made it to a few more of these shows, but I feel lucky that I managed to squeeze in two during the school year. That should be enough to hold me over until August!

So great that you were able to make it out for this show! I had a blast up front with you and B, despite the craning of necks. Sorry I was such bad company for most of the day (and that goes out to H&R from EC, MD as well).

It's okay--we had Edgar Allan Poe's legacy to keep us company.

And ah, Wilco Tango Foxtrot: You were very hoppy. :ninja

:pirate

And next time, maybe they'll opt into "Sonny Feeling."

Yes. And indulge a Candyfloss request. :)

An incredible setlist to an incredible night. After being pleasantly suprised by the standard fare over at the standard tap in NOLib, and surviving the walk down springarden street, we made our way up to our closest vantage point yet in seeing the band. (We may have been closer at the Wiltern in LA during Ghost tour but anyway)

Boom lights go down within 30 seconds and the band proceeds to tear our face off for over 3 straight hours.

I have been dying to hear some of their slower numbers live for many years, as I always missed out on Tweedys solo runs.

sunken treasure and California Stars were particularly spectacular.

But what a treat to hear some of the older acoustic numbers.

Tons of Chatty cathy's which is beyond me, especially since this show was a sellout in under three minutes and either you really wanted the tickets or paid(like I did)double face value for the tickets. So why in gods name would you talk when the rare opportunity of acoustic wilco is live and in your face.

There were two drunk chatty cathy's behind me that hilariously began belting out off key bars of via chicago and then screamed in horror when the sonic explosion measures that they have been doing at live shows for over five years came. The girl goes "what the fuck" loud and in my ear. Real nice!

Anyway What an incredible show. So glad I paid the legit scalper twice face for an evening with Wilco.

An incredible setlist to an incredible night. After being pleasantly suprised by the standard fare over at the standard tap in NOLib, and surviving the walk down springarden street, we made our way up to our closest vantage point yet in seeing the band. (We may have been closer at the Wiltern in LA during Ghost tour but anyway)

Not that this is Wilcoesque, but my husband and I were also at Standard Tap before the show, around 5. We were in line at EF by about 6:30. We love that place.

We thought the show was possibly (probably) the best we've seen out of 15, including EF in 2002, our first. Can't wait to get a recording!!!!

No problem, at least you warned us beforehand. Our field trip to the market helped pass the time, as well as the soundcheck, albeit through metal doors. But it was pretty splendid!

What a show for us to end on. That is the closest to a rave I will ever get, and a Wilco one at that. And I got to see the whisk again - for Poor Places. It is fun at the GA shows to be close and see some things you wouldn't normally see back in the seats.

And as the comments continue about the chatters, I will add that it is hard to believe folks can carry on conversations while Wilco is performing Sunken Treasure in a "living room" set and trying so hard to shut them up and bring them in. They are missing out.

This was an awesome run of shows and nice to see so many of you again and meet some new folks too. :cheers See you all again in August!

Anyone know if this was recorded? Haven't seen it on any of the usual sites yet. Such a great show would be great to hear again.

besides bt.etree.org, what other usual sites are you talking about?

there were definitely tapers there as i saw two stands with 3-4 sets of mics set up on them (and i didn't even get the greatest look, so there could have been more)

Sites where Wilco shows are most likely to appear:

bt.etree.org

Dime A Dozen.org

Sometimes, a new show will appear here:

The Trader's Den.org

Other sites:

Hunger City.org

Pure Live Gigs.com

Zomb Torrents.com