Best sounding recent show?

I'm looking for a couple great sounding shows from the current tour but so far everything I've downloaded sounded pretty bad. No offense to any tapers out there. I thank you for your efforts. I'm a taper myself, and I know that sometimes in spite of your best efforts, the sound just isn't that good and the tapes don't sound that great. Great mics can't make bad sound sound good.

Do any of the recent shows sound really great? Which ones?

I respectfully disagree with your opinions. I am more than satisfied with all of the recordings that I downloaded. There wasn't one show where I was like "Shit, I need to get a different recording than this shitty one." If I were to pick one that made me pray to Baby Jesus, it would be the 04-02 one from NYC Taper.

What I Downloaded:

3-22

3-23

3-27

3-29

4-02

4-06 (& Webcast)

For the purpose of comparative analysis: There were a few shows from the Minor League Ballpark Tour that sounded distant and tinny and/or metallic sounding.

Thanks for the reply. I'll track some of those down.

Which version of 3-29 do you have. I have 2 different ones (of the three I've seen) and both sound (to me anyway) like they were recorded from the closet of the venue. Everything sounds muffled and dull.

3-27 sounds better but still seems like someone left the dolby button pressed down. (For you kids out there who have never seen a cassette deck, but have heard of these mythical beasts, if you hit the dolby button it would cut the high end off the play back and I always thought it left the music sounding muffled like you were listening through a blanket). That's how I feel when I listen to this one....I want to hit the button that makes it less muddy and boosts the high end.

Thanks for the tip on 4-2. I'll check that one out. I've grabbed some of his stuff before.

I respectfully disagree with your opinions. I am more than satisfied with all of the recordings that I downloaded. There wasn't one show where I was like "Shit, I need to get a different recording than this shitty one." If I were to pick one that made me pray to Baby Jesus, it would be the 04-02 one from NYC Taper.

What I Downloaded:

3-22

3-23

3-27

3-29

4-02

4-06 (& Webcast)

For the purpose of comparative analysis: There were a few shows from the Minor League Ballpark Tour that sounded distant and tinny and/or metallic sounding.

Is your 4/2 show this source

Wilco

April 2nd, 2010

Wellmont Theatre, Montclair, NJ

Master/Conversion:

Neumann KM150's>Oade M248>SBM-1>D8, D8>Tascam CDRW2000>CD

by Jon Pasternak

Extraction:

CD>xACT 1.71 (cdparanoia)>WAV>FLAC, all tracks extracted with no errors

Also I like Durham 3/27 George Wang Recording picking up mostly Stage amps since he

was in 3rd row.

Here's the specs on nyctaper's recording:

An acidjack master recording

Recorded and produced by acidjack for nyctaper.com

Equipment: DPA 4021 + Beyerdynamic MC950>Edirol R-44 (24/44.1)

Position: DFC, directly behind the board, DPA’s at 10′, Beyers at 6.5′

Mastering: 2×24bit/44.1kHz WAV>Audacity (mixdown, EQ, set fades, tracking, amplify channels)>FLAC ( level 8 )

3-29

I got it off of bttree, since I don't have access to Dime A Dozen.

Info:

Wilco

March 29, 2010

The National

Richmond, VA

**16 bit source**

Source: B&K4022(ortf) > Sonosax > 744T

Transfer: 744T>soundforge 7.0 (fades)>cd wave>wavelab (resampling/UV22)>flac

Taped & transferred by: Craig Davis

I can't find this link on the VC forum. It's not the same as the thread for this specific show in In A Future Age.

Edit: The link is actually in the After The Show thread.

CBD's LINK

CBD is Craig Davis and he has Ric Flair as his avatar.

Finally, the NYC Taper link.

NYC Taper 04-02-10

Here's the first of multiple sources. None of these are my recordings.

http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=533861

Wilco

Durham Performing Arts Center

Durham, NC

March 27, 2010

Source: Schoeps MK4 (ORTF) > KC5 > CMC6 > Lunatec V3 > Marantz PMD-671 at 24/44.1

Conversion: 24 bit 44.1 k wav files dithered to 16 bit with Sound Forge 6.0, split into tracks with CD Wave, fades at beginning & end of sets with Sound Forge 6.0, FLAC files generated with FLAC front end.

Recording & conversion by Robbie Dunn

This is in reference to George Wang's 16 bit recording...

Thanks for the heads-up! This is the "pit rig" recording I was hoping to see on etree. As expected, there's a bit more audience chatter in this one, including a few rude remarks directed towards JT during "Jesus, etc."

I'm not a big fan of tweaking bootlegs, but this one needs a minor volume adjustment and a little more high-end. Having said that, I think this might turn out to be the best of the three so far. (after adjustments)

The one recorded from the balcony has incredible sound. Highly recommend it :thumbup And thanks again to the taper.

The one that Central Scrutinizer is referring to is that of Robbie Dunn's the one that I have.

New York tapers recording is as good as it gets.

Yeah, I just listened to his sample of Thank You Friends. To me, it sounds so much better than what I have so far (3-27 and 3-29). The high end comes through loud and clear. I wrote to him for a download, but I haven't heard back yet. Probably out taping.