Dawes on with Craig Ferguson

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll see your wow and raise you a whoa. That was the most intense version of that song I've heard them do.

Thanks for posting that.

Sorry I didn't post a reminder yesterday. I have been looking forward to it all week long.

I am well over the age demographic these guys want to bring in...but I LOVE THIS BAND. Discovering great new bands is what makes music appealing. It Keeps me feeling young.

I ran across these guys listening to KXT, the new public radio station in DFW. The radio was on in the background and "That Western Skyline" came on. At first I thought it was a THE BAND song that I hadn't heard before. Great lead vocals, great harmonies and playing that fits the song. No ego driven overplaying.

These guys call themselves Americana Soul. I wish I had discovered them a couple of months earlier...D-man and I would have taken in their Dallas show.

my god. that was amazing.

I feel like I am an unofficial Dawes street team member. I am turning all my 50 year old guy friend onto this band. And the great thing is that discovering them has been serendipity.

as great as that performance is, last time i saw them a few months ago they just slayed that song... with the crowd all singing along at the end.

check out their old band Simon Dawes as well, 2 of the same members (one being the singer). some of the songs on North Hills actually started out as Simon Dawes songs:

http://www.daytrotte...134-110748.html

Sorry I didn't post a reminder yesterday. I have been looking forward to it all week long.

I am well over the age demographic these guys want to bring in...but I LOVE THIS BAND. Discovering great new bands is what makes music appealing. It Keeps me feeling young.

I ran across these guys listening to KXT, the new public radio station in DFW. The radio was on in the background and "That Western Skyline" came on. At first I thought it was a THE BAND song that I hadn't heard before. Great lead vocals, great harmonies and playing that fits the song. No ego driven overplaying.

These guys call themselves Americana Soul. I wish I had discovered them a couple of months earlier...D-man and I would have taken in their Dallas show.

man every time i listen to KXT they're playing world music. i must be missing out on the good stuff.

Thanks for posting the clip...

I saw them in February when they made a stop at The Monkey House in Burlington... I had been listening to North Hills for a bit and liked the record, but after seeing them live - I jumped on the bandwagon. These guys are really good and their songs are terrific. We chatted with the bass player for a while after the show and he said that they will be on the road for a good while. I see they are opening for Edward Sharpe this spring and summer.

If they come your way -- give them look and a listen.

Yep, definitely great. Thanks for the link.

It looks like they are going to bypass Chicago in June, but they will be at Lollapalooza in August...I wonder if this is part of the insane Lollapalooza deal that bands (all not just the big ones) can't play around Chicago before or after their Lollapalooza performance unless the organizers "allow" it. A whole month in half seems extreme, though. It would be nice to see these guys at a club.

Edited by calvino

I feel like I am an unofficial Dawes street team member. I am turning all my 50 year old guy friend onto this band. And the great thing is that discovering them has been serendipity.

Same boat here. Took 3 such old people to a show last month...they are all big fans now.

• 4 weeks later...

I want come back and say thanks for posting this video.

I'm listening to North Hills for the first time and really enjoying it. As it turns out Dawes will be playing a free show near me next month, and I now plan on going. I would have missed out on some great music if not for stumbling upon this thread.

I want come back and say thanks for posting this video.

I'm listening to North Hills for the first time and really enjoying it. As it turns out Dawes will be playing a free show near me next month, and I now plan on going. I would have missed out on some great music if not for stumbling upon this thread.

I was really excited when I saw they were going to be on with Craig Ferguson. They really brought the goods...

• 4 weeks later...

Last night I saw Dawes play a free show at Hartwood Acres, near Pittsburgh PA. They sounded great and truly seemed happy to be headlining an outdoor show with a decent sized audience. I have to say that the live performance puts their recorded music to shame - and that's saying a lot, as I quite enjoy the record.

Immediately after the show all the band members came out to sign autographs (many of them going to small children who wanted their hands autographed). Interesting note: apparently the band had just come from Bonnaroo, where they had sold out their stock of CD's. As a result they sold quite a few vinyl records last night (including the copy I purchased).

On a Wilco related note, the opening act, 1/2 of a local band called 28 North, played a decent rendition of California Stars.

Dawes1.jpg

Dawes2.jpg

vinyl.jpg

it's great to see this thread! there is a pic on the rolling stone site of the singer during one of their bonnaroo sets. GREAT to hear they sold all their cds!

i think of them as a neighborhood band b/c some of them live in glendale and they play l.a. often. i got to see them at sasquatch for their "first festival appearance". so exciting. really something to see the crowd all singing along.

go, dawes, go!