Dawes on with Craig Ferguson

What a great show last night. I can't believe a band like that was playing in such a tiny club but at least the place was packed. Dawes has to have one of the more entertaining drummers in all of music right now. I really liked how Peace in the valley sounded live, very spare and powerful. I thought the new stuff was sounding good, he said the album won't come out until around May I think. I also thought Fire away waspretty good, sounded kind of like Springsteen. Both opening bands were pretty good. I like the Romany Rye, more Black Crowes than Fleet Foxes but that was a good description sonicshoulder. I have to imagine next time they come to town it will be in a bigger place.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the reason the new album isn't coming out until May is because Taylor has an album he recorded with the lead singers of Delta Spirit & Deer Tick called 'Middle Brother' that is coming out in March. all 3 bands are going to tour together in March/April as well.

the drummer for Middle Brother is Griffin from Dawes too :D

the reason the new album isn't coming out until May is because Taylor has an album he recorded with the lead singers of Delta Spirit & Deer Tick called 'Middle Brother' that is coming out in March. all 3 bands are going to tour together in March/April as well.

the drummer for Middle Brother is Griffin from Dawes too :D

Very cool, had not heard that. I noticed they were playing Delta Spirit over the PA before the first band hit the stage. I sure hope they come back through here. I will be looking forward to that Middle Brother album.

On another note, there is just something so cool about seeing bands like this humping their own equipment and hanging out in the crowd between sets (not much option, there was no backstage at this place). Will be a bit different from the Roger Waters concert I am going to see next week.

• 2 weeks later...

I just got home from seeing them in L.A....a great show with a warm & receptive hometown crowd. Several of the new songs mentioned were played, including (of course)"Time Spent in L.A." Taylor & Griffin's dad was also in attendance, singing along to himself with every song, back by the soundboard. They were joined onstage for several songs by Jonathan Wilson and Dave Somebody (sorry, didn't catch it) and then wrapped up the encore with a big happy singalong with members of all three bands onstage. (Romany Rye/Moondoggies opened)

I went with Brennan, and he got a very nice-sounding soundboard recording that we have just been skimming through. He'll be putting it up for your downloading pleasure sometime soon, on bt.etree.org...I'll post when it's up. Good stuff! :)

After the show we gave in to the pot with which those behind us had been flooding our airways, and went to Canter's Deli for a terrific 2 a.m. dinner. :eat

Did I mention that Brennan's car lost a key automotive part late late Thanksgiving night, which couldn't be purchased in time for today's show? What fun to pull up to the El Rey's valet parking and hand the valet the key but explain that it doesn't do anything, and please please don't shut off the engine until it's valet parked, or Brennan would have to hotwire it again (in front of all the lined-up concertgoers 5 or 6 feet away) to restart the engine. Life is such a fun adventure! :lol Of course the next valet hopped in and cut the engine, not having heard Brennan's explanation to the first guy. I have a great mental photo of 4 valets moving the car as we headed into the venue...1 driving, 3 pushing. hahahaha

Since last night, Brennan has learned to hotwire a car and also how to start it by popping the clutch in second gear. One of the valets taught him that.

• 3 months later...