Sun Kil Moon - Admiral Fell Swoop

http://www.sunkilmoon.com/welcome.html

The new album by Sun Kil Moon, entitled Admiral Fell Promises, released July 13 on Caldo Verde Records. This 60 minute, 10 song album of original material will be released on CD, digitally and vinyl. The vinyl version includes liner notes and 2 bonus tracks recorded live in St. Malo, France

All direct purchases through the Caldo Verde website will receive a free, limited 4 song Sun Kil Moon EP entitled I'll Be There. The EP includes covers of Stereolab, Casiotone for the Painfully Alone, the The Jackson 5

can this year honestly get any better musically? sleepy.gif

i found sun kil moon while listening to pandora a couple years ago and grabbed up ghosts of the great highway and the ep that went along with that. then april came out, i grabbed it, loved it, and decided to check out the red house painters...with not as much luck. the thing about it is, in sun kil moon, mark's voice sounds more elegant, less nasal to me. there are some good rhp tracks that i've found i like, but i don't dig it near as much as skm.

those of you more seasoned rhp fans, what do you think?

anyway, this is great news.

i found sun kil moon while listening to pandora a couple years ago and grabbed up ghosts of the great highway and the ep that went along with that. then april came out, i grabbed it, loved it, and decided to check out the red house painters...with not as much luck. the thing about it is, in sun kil moon, mark's voice sounds more elegant, less nasal to me. there are some good rhp tracks that i've found i like, but i don't dig it near as much as skm.

those of you more seasoned rhp fans, what do you think?

anyway, this is great news.

I'm glad I'm not the only one.

I've actually disliked what I've heard of Red House Painters. I found the songs themselves to be kinda average/boring, and I agree the vocals are pretty nasal.

The album I own is Ocean Beach. Can anyone give me an idea as to weather you'd consider that one to be a good representation of what Red House Painters did?

To get back on track - I love Sun Kil Moon and can't wait to hear the new album!

I'm glad I'm not the only one.

I've actually disliked what I've heard of Red House Painters. I found the songs themselves to be kinda average/boring, and I agree the vocals are pretty nasal.

The album I own is Ocean Beach. Can anyone give me an idea as to weather you'd consider that one to be a good representation of what Red House Painters did?

To get back on track - I love Sun Kil Moon and can't wait to hear the new album!

i would say redhouse painters can be broken down into different categories. the first three albums (colorful hill, I, II) are their own thing. they sound like late 80s acoustic shoegaze with lots of reverb etc. songs are okay, but too long for me and no real riffs. Ocean Beach has much better production and a few great songs, but still not a masterpiece. Songs for a Blue guitar is mark finding his RHP voice. all songs are incredible as is the production. could do without the avant solo at end of paper. Old Ramon i see as the first Sun Kil Moon record. focused, riffage, bad ass!! don't forget mark's solo stuff. much more akin to sun kil moon in the song writing and arranging i think.

i would say redhouse painters can be broken down into different categories. the first three albums (colorful hill, I, II) are their own thing. they sound like late 80s acoustic shoegaze with lots of reverb etc. songs are okay, but too long for me and no real riffs. Ocean Beach has much better production and a few great songs, but still not a masterpiece. Songs for a Blue guitar is mark finding his RHP voice. all songs are incredible as is the production. could do without the avant solo at end of paper. Old Ramon i see as the first Sun Kil Moon record. focused, riffage, bad ass!! don't forget mark's solo stuff. much more akin to sun kil moon in the song writing and arranging i think.

This was VERY helpful. Thanks!

RHP were great and I always dug them, but Sun Kil Moon is definitely the vastly superior project thumbup.gif

Fair enough I suppose. I always find myself going back more often to RHP albums than to SKM albums. Now both incarnations are wonderful, don't get me wrong. Maybe it's because RHP came along and filled a musical gap for me at an important time and they "mean" slightly more to me. All subjective I reckon but no doubt all great.

This is Sun Kil Moon's fourth album but only the third of original material after 2003's 'Ghosts of the Great Highway' and 2008's 'April'. Additionally it is the first that is all acoustic, played entirely by Mark Kozelek on nylon string guitar.

found this little piece of info at glidemagazine.com. don't know if i want a totally acoustic solo album by mark. that could get boring pretty quick. would miss his riffs and arrangements.

:ohwell

This is Sun Kil Moon's fourth album but only the third of original material after 2003's 'Ghosts of the Great Highway' and 2008's 'April'. Additionally it is the first that is all acoustic, played entirely by Mark Kozelek on nylon string guitar.

found this little piece of info at glidemagazine.com. don't know if i want a totally acoustic solo album by mark. that could get boring pretty quick. would miss his riffs and arrangements.

:ohwell

hmm.gif

I absolutely love Sun Kil Moon, and I am surprised no one has brought up Tiny Cities, their album of Modest Mouse covers. It just might be my favorite album, by any artist. Though I do have to say I was a little meh on April. It seemed to drag in spots. With that being said I am super pysched about a new Sun Kil Moon record.

I absolutely love Sun Kil Moon, and I am surprised no one has brought up Tiny Cities, their album of Modest Mouse covers. It just might be my favorite album, by any artist. Though I do have to say I was a little meh on April. It seemed to drag in spots. With that being said I am super pysched about a new Sun Kil Moon record.

I was going to say something about this. I am not a big "fan" of any of these groups (need to break out the RHP LP I bought a dogs age ago), but I really like Tiny Cities.

LouieB

Just today got around to buying Tiny Cities vinyl. (Underground Sounds in Ann Arbor. Thought maybe I'd run into Obama. Ran into Tweedy there a few years ago)

Just now listening to his gorgeous version of Space Travel Is Boring, when I came across this thread.

April has really grown on me.

Look forward to the new release.

• 1 month later...

listen to 'Australian Winter'

http://stereogum.com...urce=mp3streams

pretty gorgeous stuff

gosh. agreed!

just found this link and have listened to this stream twice now. at first, when i found out it was just mark and some nylon strings, i was a little turned off. after listening to this track, however, it appears my initial disdain was unfounded...

looking forward to this! anybody heard anything else?

• 3 weeks later...

got my copy yesterday, but didn't get around to it until earlier this afternoon. great stuff...initially kinda bummed when i heard that it was more of a solo effort, but it is solid either way. it definitely has a time and place, but a hot (mid 90s) summer day isn't exactly the best context for this album. i want it to be cold and dreary outside.

that sounds kinda negative, i guess, but i don't mean it to be because i really like it. mark sounds great picking on his nylon strings here.

i suggest a good set of headphones.

got my copy yesterday, but didn't get around to it until earlier this afternoon. great stuff...initially kinda bummed when i heard that it was more of a solo effort, but it is solid either way. it definitely has a time and place, but a hot (mid 90s) summer day isn't exactly the best context for this album. i want it to be cold and dreary outside.

that sounds kinda negative, i guess, but i don't mean it to be because i really like it. mark sounds great picking on his nylon strings here.

i suggest a good set of headphones.

yeah, from what i've heard, his guitar playing is virtuostic!