Yep. The ATL Lollapalooza. I can't remember if they made it to the 2nd stage or not. I do remember that it was supposed to be Sinead O' Connor, but we got Pavement instead! Also, I remember the rain of plastic bottles during Cypress Hill. Haha, good times.

Yep. The ATL Lollapalooza. I can't remember if they made it to the 2nd stage or not. I do remember that it was supposed to be Sinead O' Connor, but we got Pavement instead! Also, I remember the rain of plastic bottles during Cypress Hill. Haha, good times.

Really? I remember Sinead was originally on the bill, but I didn't know Pavement was the substitute act. That's a great trade. Sinead would have been terrible in that setting. I've seen her before, and she was good, but Lollapalooza isn't the place for her.

We also got Mike Watt w/ Nels Cline on the side stage that year.

• 1 month later...

From Matablog:

The return of Gary Young

The rock world has seen all sorts of momentous reunions no one would’ve predicted recently. Sammy Hager and Michael Anthony. DRI. The Faces with original vocalist Mick Hucknall and bassist Glen Matlock (hey, look it up!). But I feel very safe in saying none of the above pack the punch of the following newsflash: Original Pavement drummer Gary Young (above) will be behind the kit, accompanying SM, Spiral, Mark Ibold, Steve West and Bob Nastanovich on Thursday, June 24 at Stockton, CA”s Bob Hope Theatre. You know, the same Stockton concert somebody who may or may not edit this blog used as a cheap excuse to pick on a hardworking reporter who was just trying to do his job. Tickets are still available, but they won’t be forever. You might wanna think about flying in.

• 2 weeks later...

It's important to not expect exactly Pavement when considering Malkmus' solo material, he's wanted to get jammy for awhile and Pavement is, admittedly, not a great vehicle for that. That out of the way, Malkmus' solo material is pretty rad (it will never match Pavement, but I'm ok with it).

If I had to rank the records in terms of being purely good, chances are I'd go chronological. But more recently, given my listening preferences here's probably how it goes:

Brighten the Corners

Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain

Wowee Zowee

Slanted & Enchanted

Terror Twilight

I'm ok with ranking Pavement songs because somehow they separate from their albums really easily and are easily interpretable and enjoyable outside of the album context:

1. Here

2. Gold Soundz

3. We Dance

4. Shady Lane

5. Grounded

6. Spit On A Stranger

7. Range Life

8. Trigger Cut

9. Father to a Sister of a Thought

10. Loretta's Scars

Something like that. After 5 or 6 it gets really messy.

Favorite Pavement Record-Brighten The Corners

Favorite Pavement tune-Range Life

I would definitely suggest checking out Preston School of Industry (Spiral Stairs' project) He has a new solo album out or coming out. The last PSOI album featured the members of Wilco on various tracks.

I've been watching the Slow Century again tonight. I have a ticket for the Philly show with a day off of work. I am really looking forward to this show, but have no expectations.

• 3 years later...

I'll come right out and say that Pavement's "Slanted and Enchanted" is the best album released in the 90s (this is based on a scientific sample of my listening history). Way better than "Smells Like Teen Spirit", which while a fine album, I havent listened to in over 10 years.

I'll come right out and say that Pavement's "Slanted and Enchanted" is the best album released in the 90s (this is based on a scientific sample of my listening history). Way better than "Smells Like Teen Spirit", which while a fine album, I havent listened to in over 10 years.

THAT'S JUST NOT TRUE AND YOU KNOW IT YOU SON OF A FISH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

Malkmus actually pulled out a few Pavement tunes last night.  Father to a Sister of a thought and Box Elder.  Pretty cool.

Flaked out on getting tickets for his next week Chicago show and it's sold out.

Will be in the St. Louis area this weekend, so, if all goes well, I will catch him there this Saturday.

did you see his european set lists?

holy christ. the covers (both non-Pavement and Pavement) were epic.

Yeah I knew I was likely to hear something based on the Neil young, zep, Sabbath stuff. To be fair, the set list for Denver will say he did Come sail away but it was really his band playing the chorus for 20 seconds while he left the stage. He did do a passable Swingtown though.

• 2 months later...

Stephen Malkmus was on the WTF podcast last week.  Frankly it wasn't one of Maron's better episodes, as he spent the whole time just geeking out over his guest.  But Malkmus comes across as a decent fellow, and he talks a little bit about the making of the Pavement records.

I just bought the Wowie Zowie 33 1/3 book.  Hoping it's a good read, since the books in this series range from really good to absolute fucking garbage.

• 1 year later...

http://floodmagazine.com/21047/vices-torn-scott-spiral-stairs-kannberg-and-bob-nastanovich-take-a-slanted-look-back-at-the-enchanted-early-days-of-pavement/

Pavement bump.

“There wasn’t a whole lot of sex in there, but there was plenty of drugs and rock and roll.”—Bob Nastanovich

Referring to Gary Young, thou sums up my 90's perfectly...