11. She's a jar

12. Handshake drugs

13. Impossible Germany

14. California stars

15. Poor places

16. Spiders

17. Hummingbird

18. Sonny Feelin'

19. Magazine called sunset (for the airport guy)

20. Heavy Metal Drummer

21. You never know

22. Jesus, etc

23. Theologians

24. Hate it here

25. Walken

26. I'm the man who loves you

---

27. Thank you friends

28. Late greats

29. I'm a wheel

OMFG

Terrific show, of course. Way more ROCK than the last gig here. Nice to get the contrast.

Jeff was in fine form. Excellent banter that kicked off with him asking a girl why she was talking through the show - she made the mistake of talking back. He then introduced the next song (She's a jar) as coincidentally being a song about hitting women - which sounds quite wrong in type, but was delivered in good spirits. Replacement of the bass rig after it failed during You Never Know gave Jeff plenty of time to chat, which was great.

What a band! What a show.

Got to admire their stamina - they gave it their all and they had a 4am lobby call to look forward to for their flight to Sydney.

Thanks wilco. I really mean it. Thanks for coming all this way and giving us all a great night. It will take a lot to kill this post-gig buzz.

What a show! Thanks for the setlist!!! Of special note, Jeff threw the microphone in the air and it hit John in the head. John's amp stopped working and he threw his bass across the stage, and Jeff did a pretty good job of stage banter while it got fixed up. And one poor (but annoying) fan got a heavy dose of dissing from Jeff after talking throughout the set. She was front row balcony and he kept referring back to her throughout the night, and by the end she looked pretty miserable.

And of course a lot of Wellington vs. Auckland references from "frontman 101", but Jeff insists we sing better than Auckland!

Replacement of the bass rig after it failed during You Never Know gave Jeff plenty of time to chat, which was great.

Really?!?!? What's with John's gear these days? His bass rig was blown out in Bethesda back in March, although it crapped out mid-song and was replaced in about two minutes and the show went on...

Great news from the land of the LWC! Wilco....heading over this way....I can feel the buzzz coming our way.

Don't mess with Jeff when he is on stage....I love it. For me, I pay to hear them, not YOU. And if he takes up our cause, well, good on him.

WIlco.....wilco!

Kudos to Mahinty and Californiastar for the reviews and setlist. Knew you guys would come through. :thumbup Has whetted my appetite for this weekend's double-header here in Sydney.

What was the reference to Magazine Called Sunset being for the 'airport guy' all about?

To add a bit of color, the conversation went something like this:

(queue scene: End of "Misunderstood", crowd gives a huge ovation, and just as the applause settles down)

female fan (standing up, arms in the air): "Understand Me!"

Jeff: "No, I don't understand you. Wasn't that you talking through the entire set? I don't understand why somebody pays good money to see a band and talks through the show..."

fan: continues to yell things at Jeff [peeps please help me out if you heard any of this]

Jeff (staring at his shoes while waiting for her to finish): "please just be quiet... funny thing, we just happen to be playing a song about hitting women next... don't take that the wrong way, but that's what it says here on my setlist."

(queue opening chords to "She's A Jar")

Kudos to Mahinty and Californiastar for the reviews and setlist. Knew you guys would come through. :thumbup Has whetted my appetite for this weekend's double-header here in Sydney.

What was the reference to Magazine Called Sunset being for the 'airport guy' all about?

They met a fan in the airport who requested for them to play it, and they were nice enough to oblige

Thanks for the setlist and info, Clint! And californiastar as well. Welly definitely wins for best reportage so far on this tour. I'm glad they played "Thank You Friends!" How well-known is Big Star in New Zealand?

Hey B - I can't speak for all of New Zealand, but I don't know any of their stuff. I only know what I've read on VC and the like. I actually had to look up an older setlist to get the title of the song right.

Hey B - I can't speak for all of New Zealand, but I don't know any of their stuff. I only know what I've read on VC and the like. I actually had to look up an older setlist to get the title of the song right.

Admirable setlist-keeping, Clint! (Can I call you Clint, though we've never met? Don't want to assume a first-name basis or anything. ;))

Glad you guys got a good show. The general admission standing shows are always better, aren't they? I mean, I had a fun time the last show in Welly (and will always hold a special memory of that show since I think that was where Wilco's involvement with the Finns and 7 Worlds Collide originated), but it was a pretty formal room. Jeff didn't say anything about the quality of the crowd's dancing, did he? :lol

And you've got to track down some Big Star! Such great, great stuff. :thumbup

Airport dude, Bruce, steller guy. Works at the airport saw em come through and had a wee chat with em.

Amazing show i was 2nd row smack in front of Tweedy. My face is still sore today from smiling for 2 1/2 hrs straight. Amazzzinnggg.

Nice work Wellington, you have put Auckland to shame on the reportage.

You've also given us the Phoenix Foundation (I'm enjoying me some Buffalo at the moment) and Jerry Collins, so we'll forgive you for Welly-dub and Kerry Prendergast.......

My bro went to the Wellington show last night, his first Wilco experience and loved it...

John's amp stopped working and he threw his bass across the stage, and Jeff did a pretty good job of stage banter while it got fixed up.

Other stories that Jeff shared:

• He spent some of his time in Wellington in a cemetery. Apparently we have cool headstones. Made him "want to die"!?!
  • They no longer have the rugs on stage as they were ruined by flooding at Red Rocks. They have since discovered they are better off without them and everything sounds better now ;)
  • It was apparently easy to spot the Americans at the Japan shows as they were taller than everyone else - like whack-a-mole

I also have heard of one confirmed sighting of Pat post-gig at the best bar in town, Mighty Mighty.

Out.

Admirable setlist-keeping, Clint! (Can I call you Clint, though we've never met? Don't want to assume a first-name basis or anything. ;))

Glad you guys got a good show. The general admission standing shows are always better, aren't they? I mean, I had a fun time the last show in Welly (and will always hold a special memory of that show since I think that was where Wilco's involvement with the Finns and 7 Worlds Collide originated), but it was a pretty formal room. Jeff didn't say anything about the quality of the crowd's dancing, did he? :lol

And you've got to track down some Big Star! Such great, great stuff. :thumbup

Yo Paul, I will definitely track down some Big Star. It's a pity that I didn't meet you guys when you were here in '08 - I would have enjoyed showing you the sights - although it sounds like you found plenty of cool stuff all by yourselves. Next time. Or perhaps I should visit the States? May be see a few wilco shows.....

What an awesome show!!

I'm so glad I decided to go to Wellington instead of Auckland (from Taranaki, would've done both if I could!). I really didn't want to be sitting down and front row in front of Jeff was great:) She's a jar was my online request so I really was HAPPY, (sad songs make me happy lol) and I came home with one of Glens drumsticks,YAY.

Thanks for doing the setlist Mahinty.

Can't wait til they come back, next year;)

Well, as far as reporting goes, it's very clear why Wellington is the capital city of NZ. Great reports, guys! Not meaning to stir the pot from halfway around the world, but c'mon Aukland- not even a setlist! Having seen two of the 'Evening with...' shows in March, it is great to see that they are still playing long sets, plus you got JT Earle to boot- Nice!

Of coincidence is that I purchased my Crowded House tickets during a presale yesterday for their August show in ATL. Yes, we can show the Kiwis some love over here.

Yo Paul, I will definitely track down some Big Star. It's a pity that I didn't meet you guys when you were here in '08 - I would have enjoyed showing you the sights - although it sounds like you found plenty of cool stuff all by yourselves. Next time. Or perhaps I should visit the States? May be see a few wilco shows.....

Yeah, why not? :thumbup

Of course, give a holler if you ever make it to this side of the planet. And I'll do the same if I ever get back your way...

Anyone know if this was recorded? I went to both shows and got to meet them on the plane, and make a request (which got played), so it'd be awesome ot have a recording as a souvenir (since I couldn't get a setlist).