Wilco Sydney (Marrickville) 2/5/10

Fritz you summed it up perfectly! Even with all those rarities thrown in my highlight was ALTWYS.... That kicked some serious arse. Outtamind outta sight was there, sorry I missed that in my set list. Think that's when the vocals may have disappeared. At the end it was relentless, just hammering one song after another. Loved watching Glenn sing along as he plays, he just looks so happy.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Though mildly miffed no one believed my set list!

I'm sure it was nothing personal--it just seemed too good to be true. :thumbup I mean, Kicking TV? That's definitely an "Are you sure you aren't shitting me?" item. Now that it's confirmed, Are you fucking kidding?! Nice! :cheers

I have witnessed one of the finest shows I have ever seen. It has lead me to taking the day off from work today. I can't hear a thing and can't talk but I'm not calling it a sick day. I'm calling it a Wilco day. I need this day to think about what it was that I saw taking place before me last night.

I probably shouldn't be writing this now as these thoughts are only partly-formed but I'll throw a few of them out there.

The Factory is only a small venue in Sydney's inner-west. I think it'd hold around 400 people (?) so being a sold out gig, there was electricty & anticipation in the air. Overheard many discussions beginning with, "Hey, do you think they'll play...?"

OK, some thoughts:

* First up, my memory isn't good for order but that setlist looks spot on. And, yes, I'm pretty sure Outtasite was in there after I Got You.

* Got a great spot down the front on the barrier, directly in front of John.

* Wonderful to hear Ashes of American Flags as an opener. Beautiful way to start the night.

* I haven't been listening to Wilco of late. So when I heard the intros to songs I had "forgotten" - Company in My Back, War On War - well, it felt like coming home.

* I will never tire of hearing ALTWYS live. Never.

* Sunken Treasure went to some far out beautiful sonic places.

* It was one of the greatest privileges of my concert-going life to stand in front of John Stirratt and watch/listen to him sing the harmony to Less Than You Think.

* Pat gave a nice little Feisty call & response on You and I. In fact, the band were really letting loose/fooling around last night. A fair degree of Nels falling down on stage, Jeff and Pat doing those little Bonnie Prince Billy one legged kicks in the air during solos. Lottsa fun.

* Opening chords to Box Full Of Letters rang out and I melted. I don't really analyse set-lists from previous shows so I don't know how often this is played but it is a fine, beautifully crafted song. And it rocks out, too.

* Shot in the Arm - little funny looks & smiles between Jeff and Pat as Pat played some variation on the piano riff during the outro. A mistake? It probably was but sounded great. Pat looked sheepish but wore a huge grin.

* Whole crowd sing-a-long to Jesus etc. sounded nice. Must be a buzz to have a room full of people singing your song back to you.

* Business end of the set was relentlessly powerful. They just kept it coming. Guitar duelling on Hoodoo Voodoo allowed for some great hamming it up from Pat & Nels. Nels may be more technically proficient but Pat's playing is just so sooulful and damned elegant.

* The encore may have been the highlight for me. When I heard guitar riff for Thank You Friends...well, I still don't know what to type here. Alex Chilton was channeled in some way. Would've loved to have heard It's Just That Simple but was rewarded with hearing John sing this song (well, sharing the singing with Pat & Jeff). Big Star probably not so well known in Australia but I was in heaven. So for that to be followed up with In the Street (John on lead vox again), my night was made.

That's all I've got. I'm sure more will come in the next few days or so but I've been floored by this wonderful band yet again.

nice post

I can't believe you guys thought I was shitting you with that set list... Where's the trust now days? I did looove me some kicking television. You have to remember every person at that gig had been at the state theatre concert, the only way to get in was buy a premium ticket. They couldn't double up on much, just a few key songs that we never get tired of hearing. And I AM having a fabulous holiday. Though mildly miffed no one believed my set list!

I sincerely apologize for not believing :). I had no reason to think it wasn't true, other than that it seemed WAY too good to be true. And here's to hoping they keep this up until, oh, i dunno, August 13-15 maybe? Hopefully they feel the need to pump out epic shows like these in order to match the great shows that were the Evening with shows here in the states. Whenever i think the bar has been set, Wilco somehow seem to raise it. It really is remarkable.

Wow, what an astonishing show. That was my 9th Wilco show over 5 different tours and it would be number 1 or 2 on the list, maybe shaded just by the 03 show at the Palace in Melbourne. Just an amazing setlist and I was blown away to hear songs that I haven't seen them play before like Box Full Of Letters and also happy that they left out a few songs they generally play that I think are just middling like IATTBYH. Being a massive Big Star fan and still pretty sad about the passing of Alex Chilton I was really hoping they would roll out Thank You Friends after hearing that they'd played it in N.Z. The band obliged and I was in ecstasy. Well I thought I was. To then follow it up with In The Street and a fucking good version of it too with John on lead vox, well I just couldn't wipe the smile off my face. Just brilliant.

Anyone been to The Forum in Melbourne? It looks to be a great place.

its a nice place. the ceiling is awesome - it looks like its just before dark with a dark blue sky and the stars shining. you get the feeling that its an outdoor show, with no clouds, wind or rain!. if (or when) they play California stars, look above!

Nels may be more technically proficient but Pat's playing is just so soulful and damned elegant.

and he's the keyboard player! :D

Seriously though, Pat is always there lurking off to the side on his tele. His licks during Voodoo last night were awesome. It was like he just wanted to step up and say "I can do that too...."

Wilco definitely are 6 of the most talented musicians I've ever had the pleasure of seeing - I can't think of a better live act.

Lucky me.

Another 6 hour drive, but home. Pity I can't make the 6 hour drive to Melbourne too. The last two nights were certainly something else.

Was on the rail in front of Nels, next to the woman with the freaky voice. There is nothing elegant about Nels, but my god he is brilliant.

THe band did seem very relaxed last night. A lot of by-play between Nels, Mike and Glenn. Mike dropped the stuffed toy he uses to create some noise on the keyboard, Nels picked it up, finished the song with it and threw it back at Mike, smacking him in the head. Mike was throwing shakers at Glenn during ITMWLY.

I enjoyed Liam Finn infinately more last night. He seemed a lot more comfortable, despite the technical problems. Probably the proximity of the audience.

What can I say, I was blown away by last nights show! I was up the front for once and standing just off to the right end of the stage. I normally hang back to tape but last night I borrowed some duct tape off Stan and taped my mics to the crowd barrier. The recording came out pretty well and I'm stoked to have a recording of such an amazing show!

The band seemed on great form last night, lots of interplay between the guy's. As commented above the Guitar battle on Hoodoo Voodoo between Pat and Nels was immense, great fun.

Somebody should have warned the poor security guy at the front how long the show was going to be, from about halfway through he was checking his watch and by the 2 hour mark he was outta there :D

Lastly, It was a huge pleasure to meet Stan. I wandered back to see if I could get some duct tape from the sound desk and ended up having a good chat with him about the way the sound is mixed and about taping. He is a true artist with sound and one of the reasons Wilco manage to sound so consistently wonderful. He asked me my opinions on the sound in the State theatre on the first night and was quite concerned when I commented the bass was a little thin where I was. Oh yeah and he saved a setlist for me after the show :thumbup

The guard on the 'Cline' side was so funny. He looked bored before Liam started. He had his head resting on his fist, leaning on the bins most of the night. Funny stuff. Contrast that to Saturday night, during Spiders, one of the Theatre attendants was 'rocking' while stopping everyone on the Mezz from standing up.

The guard on the 'Cline' side was so funny. He looked bored before Liam started. He had his head resting on his fist, leaning on the bins most of the night. Funny stuff. Contrast that to Saturday night, during Spiders, one of the Theatre attendants was 'rocking' while stopping everyone on the Mezz from standing up.

Yeah we had one guy there during Liam who seemed to be enjoying the show. In fact I saw in watching the Wilco show later on, seemed to have got himself off duty for the main event!

Here is the MP3 of last nights show for anyone who wants a momento, I'll be posting the Flac on Dime later for anyone who wants lossless.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=HZRZBJJR

Yeah we had one guy there during Liam who seemed to be enjoying the show. In fact I saw in watching the Wilco show later on, seemed to have got himself off duty for the main event!

Here is the MP3 of last nights show for anyone who wants a momento, I'll be posting the Flac on Dime later for anyone who wants lossless.

Nice...thanks in advance for the FLAC. Looks like the show of the year so far and that is saying a lot.

Very nice recording, thanks a lot for taping this great show.

Crazy that they would pull out three super-rare songs in one night. I don't think they've played the original arrangement of "Sunken Treasure" since the '08 residency. I hope this means it will get played more often -- I remember back when it used to alternate with "Via Chicago" and get played all the time. "Kicking Television" hasn't been played since '05! And when was the last time they played "Outtasite", "I Got You" and "Monday" at the same show? Nice to see that they can still surprise, even after the great "Evening with" shows.

Wow. I'll approach this from a different angle and then get to the obvious: "I'll Fight" "Sonny Feeling" "Country Disappeared" and "You and I" all in the same show? That's amazing considered how much restraint they exercised in showcasing those songs on the February tour when I saw them (and all I really wanted to hear were the new tunes).

And "Kicking Television"?!?!? I requested this a comically offensive amount of times for the February shows I attended and thought maybe I had a shot at hearing it, as I personalized each request with weak attempts at humor, and was none too surprised when they didn't play it. But now! Wow. Honestly this set just makes me feel even worse about the west coast tour earlier this year, like they were just getting started. Probably my fault for having high expectations, maybe I should just hope and pray for a west coast residency sometime.

"Laminated Cat", wow! I'd been avoiding the Evening With sets but I guess this was played then, too. Wow. Great year for midwest, east coast, and overseas Wilco fans apparently. :lol

This show's on dime already, btw...

i know it downloaded but when i go to open it it says windows can't find it, only zip files seem to work,..i don't know what im doing apparently, makes me so mad, i would be all over owl and bear and dime and whatever others there are if i only knew how!!!

i know it downloaded but when i go to open it it says windows can't find it, only zip files seem to work,..i don't know what im doing apparently, makes me so mad, i would be all over owl and bear and dime and whatever others there are if i only knew how!!!

I've pulled files from Megaupload before, but clicking on this one brought up a prompt from Google Chrome that said it detected malware...

It's not hard to learn - and it is better than messing with all of those download links.

(Note: Check to see where you have your downloads set to download. You will also need Winzip, and/or WinRAR installed on your computer.)

It's not hard to learn - and it is better than messing with all of those download links.

(Note: Check to see where you have your downloads set to download. You will also need Winzip, and/or WinRAR installed on your computer.)

i don't even know where to go to check where they are set to go,(don't laugh)..i recently downloaded the friday 4/2 wellmont show and the boston show that was linked...it had that zipper folder and when it finished i clicked on it and it went to my itunes, so i guess itunes is where i have it set?...but i had to quick make a cd of the shows and then reinstall it to my itunes because if i didn't that exclamation point would suddenly appeared next to the songs if i tried to play it after i would log out of itunes and then go back in and it said it couldnt be found!!!! its all too much for me, i can't take it anymore!

i don't even know where to go to check where they are set to go,(don't laugh)..i recently downloaded the friday 4/2 wellmont show and the boston show that was linked...it had that zipper folder and when it finished i clicked on it and it went to my itunes, so i guess itunes is where i have it set?...but i had to quick make a cd of the shows and then reinstall it to my itunes because if i didn't that exclamation point would suddenly appeared next to the songs if i tried to play it after i would log out of itunes and then go back in and it said it couldnt be found!!!! its all too much for me, i can't take it anymore!

I don't know shit about iTunes. So if you have that going on, you know more than me.

I use Firefox - so it is Tools>Options>Downloads>Save Files To_________________.

Hmmm, bit worried people are gettig a malware message from megaupload, I've used them lots previously with no issues but there's always a first I suppose.

As was stated above you would need a program like 7zip or Winzip to open the zip file, it should then just be a folder of MP3's on your desktop. I recommend 7zip as its free (and what I used to zip the folder).

I normally put up a zip of my tapings in MP3 quality as alot of people dont have the bandwidth to download big torrents or dont belong to Dime where I post them.

On that note, I'm super excited to see a recording up on Dime already, it sounds like it was recorded from the sweet spot so I look forward to grabbing it when I get home!

One thing I've noticed from listening to the show is Jeff's voice seemed to be on the way out by the last few songs, that could be why people were struggling to hear him in the mix towards the end.