i can't search this site for shit. sorry to start a new thread, but i wanted to post neil's setlist from last night in ny. looks good.

maybe put links to the other neil young threads like the grateful dead one?

2010-05-18, Palace Theatre, Albany, New York, USA

Solo

1. My My, Hey Hey (Out Of The Blue)

2. Tell Me Why

3. Helpless

4. You Never Call

5. Peaceful Valley

6. Love And War

7. Down By The River

8. Hitchhiker

9. Ohio

10. Sign Of Love

11. Leia

12. After The Gold Rush

13. I Believe In You

14. Rumblin'

15. Cortez The Killer

16. Cinnamon Girl

---

17. Walk With Me

18. Hey Hey, My My (Into The Black)

• Replies 917
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Listened to recording from DIME...sounds really good.

Hitchhiker was epic.

Set could have been longer for the amount of the ticket prices...but overall I wish he would come down to South Florida soon.

i can't search this site for shit. sorry to start a new thread, but i wanted to post neil's setlist from last night in ny. looks good.

maybe put links to the other neil young threads like the grateful dead one?

2010-05-18, Palace Theatre, Albany, New York, USA

Solo

1. My My, Hey Hey (Out Of The Blue)

2. Tell Me Why

3. Helpless

4. You Never Call

5. Peaceful Valley

6. Love And War

7. Down By The River

8. Hitchhiker

9. Ohio

10. Sign Of Love

11. Leia

12. After The Gold Rush

13. I Believe In You

14. Rumblin'

15. Cortez The Killer

16. Cinnamon Girl

---

17. Walk With Me

18. Hey Hey, My My (Into The Black)

I used to see movies at the Palace in Albany when I lived there back in the early 60s (I was a kid then...).

18 songs? Was there an opener or did he talk whole lot? That seems like a kind of short show.

Louie B

I used to see movies at the Palace in Albany when I lived there back in the early 60s (I was a kid then...).

18 songs? Was there an opener or did he talk whole lot? That seems like a kind of short show.

Louie B

bert jansch opened up. i guess there was quite a bit of dicking around and sound issues too. i'm a bit disappointed by this set up. i was really hoping for his classic solo show setup with him sitting in the middle of a semi-circle of acoustics and just knocking out the songs. at least 25 songs. he's standing up and doing a bunch of stuff electric. and both versions of hey hey my my(?)

If you look at the Neil tours recently he starts off short then it grows.

When I saw the 1st Greendale show...he did Greendale and only 3 "old songs"....as the tour went he was up to 10 or so "old songs".

Time will tell.

The show was around 95 minutes according to the recording.

bert jansch opened up.

Oh yea, that's right. I remember telling SarahC she needed to make sure to see him. He is Bert is playing club dates (one in Chicago) which is pretty amazing since he rarely tours.

The show was around 95 minutes according to the recording.

Well that's not too bad, but considering what Neil charges it still seems kinda short.

LouieB

Oh yea, that's right. I remember telling SarahC she needed to make sure to see him. He is Bert is playing club dates (one in Chicago) which is pretty amazing since he rarely tours.

if you are interested, i've got an audience recording of the show i saw in '06, which was a great show.

• 2 weeks later...

saw neil in atlanta last night. bert jansch opened up. both were great. i was actually trying to sell my tix before the show as the setlist and reviews looked a little touch and go to me. alas, the internet fails me again. neil was excellent. stood tall and looked like he could play for another 30 years. 3 classic acoustic songs were great. then 3 new songs on an acoustic with effects. great lyrics and kinda swampy. the rest of the guitar songs were on electric. very nice deconstructed cortez the killer and a killer hitchhiker. new songs too. 3 keyboard songs. a nice pop ditty on tack piano, after the gold rush on organ and i believe in you on grand piano. the latter was excellent. all in all it was a very warm show and i actually like the short and sweet of it. the new songs are among his best in the last 3 decades (he'll never top the 70s:-)

as an aside, tix were ridiculously expensive. i'd say most people there couldn't afford them, including me. neil could tour for free the rest of his life and still make millions off the sales of Harvest alone. really sick about he ticket prices.

as an aside, tix were ridiculously expensive. i'd say most people there could afford them, including me. neil could tour for free the rest of his life and still make millions off the sales of Harvest alone. really sick about he ticket prices.

That's what is keeping the wife and I at home instead of seeing him in Spartanburg tonight. I really want to go but it's just too damn expensive. If I went it would have blown my entire summer concert wad. I am bummed as hell because he might not ever make it down this way ever again and to have him play in my back yard practically is depressing.

That's what is keeping the wife and I at home instead of seeing him in Spartanburg tonight. I really want to go but it's just too damn expensive. If I went it would have blown my entire summer concert wad. I am bummed as hell because he might not ever make it down this way ever again and to have him play in my back yard practically is depressing.

yeah, i meant to say, most folks there couldn't afford a ticket. i will never buy a ticket for that much money again. i don't think i'll buy a ticket period for a while. petty is coming to town in august. may go down and try to get a cheap seat if i feel like it. but over $50 for a concert ticket is completely and utterly ridiculous. music lovers are such suckers

Seriously. My wife and I paid a good bit to see Bruce last year and after that experience we said "no more" to high tickets. I'm going to see Modest Mouse, Broken Social Scene and Built to Spill this summer and all for less than one Neil Young ticket.

agreed that ticket prices for Neil were super steep, but at least he played pretty small venues (~2500 ppl capacity or less). if bruce, petty, (insert 70s FM Radio Superstar here) played a similar-sized venue, i can't imagine that the tickets would be priced much differently. if he sold 'em for $50, scalpers would eat that shit up and sell 'em for the price Neil set to start...

The ticket prices for neil almost have to be steep, if he wants to play at anything other than an amphitheater. He sold out the 5,000 seat Fox theater in atlanta, with the cheap seats at a face of 70, and the expensive ones at 250. This tour wouldn't have worked in a bigger venue, it was too intimate.

If the tickets were cheaper, even more scalpers would've invested in them.

The problem is he has a large block of people that only own harvest and harvest moon, and due to the size of that block, there are people that dont even realize he has put out anything new in 18 years that will see Neil Young listed on an upcoming events list and say "that Neil Young fellow will be playing soon, didnt he sing that wonderful song "teach your Children" we should go see him." and then those people end up buying tickets.

At these prices, the only people that will go will be the rich version of the people described above, and mega fans. Unfortunately for the mega fans, the high prices are necessary.

I felt like it was worth my 90 bucks or whatever it ended up costing after fees and all. It was much better than paying 50 bucks and seeing him in a 20,000 seat venue and watching him on two big screens while people yell for "Southern Man" all night.

The ticket prices for neil almost have to be steep, if he wants to play at anything other than an amphitheater. He sold out the 5,000 seat Fox theater in atlanta, with the cheap seats at a face of 70, and the expensive ones at 250. This tour wouldn't have worked in a bigger venue, it was too intimate.

If the tickets were cheaper, even more scalpers would've invested in them.

The problem is he has a large block of people that only own harvest and harvest moon, and due to the size of that block, there are people that dont even realize he has put out anything new in 18 years that will see Neil Young listed on an upcoming events list and say "that Neil Young fellow will be playing soon, didnt he sing that wonderful song "teach your Children" we should go see him." and then those people end up buying tickets.

At these prices, the only people that will go will be the rich version of the people described above, and mega fans. Unfortunately for the mega fans, the high prices are necessary.

I felt like it was worth my 90 bucks or whatever it ended up costing after fees and all. It was much better than paying 50 bucks and seeing him in a 20,000 seat venue and watching him on two big screens while people yell for "Southern Man" all night.

good points Rob.

btw, i was bummed that neil didn't play teach your children. damn it!!

Thrasher's Wheat

"Cortez The Killer" - Washington, DC, May 24, 2010 (video)

It's totally weird to hear him play that song solo on electric guitar. I suppose I am so use to hearing the Rust Never Sleeps version - as it was the first one I ever heard - way back in the day.

Thrasher's Wheat

"Cortez The Killer" - Washington, DC, May 24, 2010 (video)

It's totally weird to hear him play that song solo on electric guitar. I suppose I am so use to hearing the Rust Never Sleeps version - as it was the first one I ever heard - way back in the day.

yeah, in this solo version he doesn't really strum chords, but plays feedback and sings over that. kind of interesting, but glad it wasn't any longer than it was. he did down by the river like this two, but more strumming. didn't work too well. that was the only dud of the night for me.

I have been listening to the Buffalo Springfield boxset today. Neil and his team did a heck of a job on the sound. I wish they would have done the same for all of the albums and re-released them. (Only the first two were re-mastered.)

I have been listening to the Buffalo Springfield boxset today. Neil and his team did a heck of a job on the sound. I wish they would have done the same for all of the albums and re-released them. (Only the first two were re-mastered.)

yes, i would much rather have good remasters of the albums rather than the box set. the remasters of those albums sound pretty bad and nothing like the recent remasters of neil's first four albums.

yes, i would much rather have good remasters of the albums rather than the box set. the remasters of those albums sound pretty bad and nothing like the recent remasters of neil's first four albums.

I need to get those also.

I need to get those also.

yeah, the neil solo remasters are great. still some volume issues between tracks, but way better than before.

btw-i love interstate. so good. not a huge fan of ordinary people. i preferred it acoustic.

Please tell me your joking...if you are that is funny if your not that is weird.

do i really have to admit that i'm joking:)