That would be cool. There's also a couple of 'Life' which sound good solo acoustic; We Neve Dance and When Your Lonely Heart Breaks.

right. maybe a double album of solo acoustic select cuts from the 80s. that would be amazing!

• Replies 917
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've always found this sort of research pretty cool:

After the Gold Rush by Neil Young - Album Cover Location

I like the original photograph better than the one used.

That's pretty cool. I noticed that blog is done by a guy named Bob Egan. Wonder if it's the ex-Wilco/Blue Rodeo guy.

That's really cool! I love that stuff. I have a copy of "Fodor's rock and roll traveler USA" that I keep track of all this stuff in. Every time I see something like this I write it in the book. It's really quite amazing how many notes I have accumulated over the years on where various rock and roll events have occured and where album covers were shot. And who new Graham Nash was just out of the frame on that?

Thanks for the addition.

This is an excellent reference for this kind of stuff:

61H5NQDGW8L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

That was pretty stinking cool. And the original with Graham Nash in it is pretty nice too.

I just happened to catch the replay of this and I laughed so hard. I couldn't believe it when Crosby & Nash did bgv's. He's also done The Fresh Prince of Bel Air theme song as Neil and Pants on the Ground. Fallon did Whip My Hair with Springsteen, too.

I think I like the one with Bruce the best. I still think Neil should get him to open some shows.

• 2 months later...

I guess this is why he canned the Buffalo Springfield tour:

Neil Yound Releasing Autobiography Nex t Year

Neil Young is the latest A-list rock star to decide to write a memoir: His book Waging Heavy Peace will hit shelves in the fall of 2012. "I felt like writing books fit me like a glove," Young said in a statement. "I started and I just kept going. That's the way my Daddy used to do it on his old Underwood up in the attic. He said, 'Just keep writing, you never know what will turn up.'" The book is being published by Blue Rider Press, a new imprint of Penguin.

"This promises to be a revealing, intimate book that will provide the window into Neil's life and career that fans and admirers have always wanted," said Blue Rider President David Rosenthal.

Young's father Scott Young was as prominent sports journalist in Canada. In 1984 he published Neil And Me, which chronicled his sometimes turbulent relationship with his son. In 2003, Jimmy McDonough released Shakey: Neil Young's Biography, based around extensive interviews the writer conducted with Young, his family, friends and numerous bandmates. Despite the access that Young provided, he later sued McDonough in an attempt to stop the book's publication. Legal wrangling held up publication of the book for three years.

Young joins a long list of rock stars – including Eric Clapton, Keith Richards and Steven Tyler – who have released memoirs in recent years.

• 4 months later...

Looks like Old Neil is out to kill the Mp3 again:

Neil's Plan To Make Digital Music Sound 20 Times Better

There is no doubt that the move from vinyl to CD and now MP3 has compressed and degraded the quality of music we listen to on a daily basis. Neil Young is hoping to change this. In an interview at the D: Dive Into Media conference yesterday, Young was quite vocal and realistic about where the music industry is and where he’d like it to go. The singer/songwriter claims that MP3s only offer about 5 percent of the true sound bands and artists like him make when recording in the studio. CDs aren’t much better either, as he claims they only reproduce about 15 percent of the true sound of a record.

“My goal is to try to rescue the art form that I’ve been practicing for the past 50 years,” said Young. “We live in the digital age and, unfortunately, it’s degrading our music, not improving it … It’s not that digital is bad or inferior, it’s that the way it’s being used isn’t doing justice to the art. The MP3 only has 5 percent of the data present in the original recording. … The convenience of the digital age has forced people to choose between quality and convenience, but they shouldn’t have to make that choice.”

His plan is to try and get “some rich guy” or a music/tech company to develop a new audio format and device that can deliver audio files that are about 20 times more accurate than today’s digital music. Unfortunately, he admits that the process is difficult, as it would take about 30 minutes to download a single hi-fidelity song in his format, and a top device may only be able to hold 30 albums (360 or so songs), but he’s got a solution for that too: download while you sleep.

“Sleep well,” said Young. “Wake up in the morning. Play some real music and listen to the joy of 100 percent of the sound of music.”

At one point in the interview, Walt Mossberg and colleagues did argue that even in the golden age of vinyl, many people were still listening to his music on crappy stereo equipment and through crappy headphones, which he admitted was true, but countered by saying that we’ve had a lot of innovation in headphones and such, but things like Beats can only do so much to enhance audio that is inherently of low quality.

High quality audio recordings could actually help curb piracy by offering something of better quality than the pirated versions available, said Young, though he has no real problem with piracy as it exists. “I look at the Internet as the new radio,” he explained. “I look at radio as gone … Piracy is the new radio, that’s how music gets around.”

So how does a device like this get made? Young said he was working with the late Steve Jobs: “I talked to Steve about it. We were working on it.” Unfortunately, not much has happened, he admits, since the Apple co-founder’s death in October. Still, that isn’t stopping Young.

“Steve Jobs was a pioneer of digital music and his legacy is tremendous, but when he went home he listened to vinyl,” said Young. “You’ve got to believe that if he would have lived long enough he would have eventually done what I’m trying to do.”

i watched this video. the interviewers seem a bit dense and combative. what happened to that CODE thing that he was working on with john mellencamp and TBone burnett i wonder.

20 times better. Wow. He actually said that. 20 times better. What digital music sounds like now, times itself, then times that, then times that, then times that, then times that, then times that, then times that, then times that, then times that, then times that, then times that, then times that, then times that, then times that, then times that, then times that, then times that, then times that, then times that, then times that. That would sound like... Hell, who knows? Fidelity of that kind could bring about world peace, end the need for sex, elicit the Second Coming, raise the dead, cure cancer, be an Armageddon weapon, bring the mole people to the surface, fix Phil Spector's hair. Fuck. That would be some truly scary sound. Just thinking about it is making me nervous. Current digital sound to the 20th power. Is vinyl 20 times better sounding or is Neil a visionary who envisions some ultra-mega-super sound? Are human ears capable of discerning 20 times better digital sound? Or could Neil be engaging in hyperbole?

We now know the reason for his ticket prices. HE will be "some rich guy" and develop audio files that are 20 times more accurate than today's digital files. Gouge away, Neil.

20 times better. Wow. He actually said that. 20 times better. What digital music sounds like now, times itself, then times that, then times that, then times that, then times that, then times that, then times that, then times that, then times that, then times that, then times that, then times that, then times that, then times that, then times that, then times that, then times that, then times that, then times that, then times that. That would sound like... Hell, who knows? Fidelity of that kind could bring about world peace, end the need for sex, elicit the Second Coming, raise the dead, cure cancer, be an Armageddon weapon, bring the mole people to the surface, fix Phil Spector's hair. Fuck. That would be some truly scary sound. Just thinking about it is making me nervous. Current digital sound to the 20th power. Is vinyl 20 times better sounding or is Neil a visionary that envisions some ultra-mega-super sound? Are human ears capable of discerning 20 times better digital sound? Or could Neil be engaging in hyperbole?

We now know the reason for his ticket prices. HE will be "some rich guy" and develop audio files that are 20 times more accurate than today's digital files. Gouge away, Neil.

i know it's early, but...post of the year!

ultra mega super sound...awesome. neil's becoming a bit tiresome. i think i get into him for ten year cycles and one is coming to an end. however, if that new memoir comes out, it might be another story.

btw, i just noticed AMan has over 40,000 posts. Jesus Christ! that can't be real.

20 times better. Wow. He actually said that. 20 times better. What digital music sounds like now, times itself, then times that, then times that, then times that, then times that, then times that, then times that, then times that, then times that, then times that, then times that, then times that, then times that, then times that, then times that, then times that, then times that, then times that, then times that, then times that. That would sound like... Hell, who knows?

X times 20 is not equal to X^20

unless X = zero, of course.

X times 20 is not equal to X^20 unless X = zero, of course.
Regardless of my alleged error, 20 times better still means not twice as better, not three times as better, not 4 times as better, but twenty times better. Seriously? Imagine the ugliest person on Earth. Saying that they could be 20 times uglier or 20 times better looking is just silly. It is equally silly to want something to sound 20 times better. Also, A-man, when you say that he is right about the sound, do you mean that it can be 20 times better, that vinyl is now 20 times better so upgrade digital to that lofty standard or just simply that digital sound isn't as good as it could be?

in that interview, i think neil and the interviewers were just talking past each other. i think the best we can expect at some point is lossless downloads with high res art as well as ipods that can carry it all and some how playback in a warmer, audiophile fashion. counter to neil, some would say we've come a long way in only needing 5% of the whole for music to sound fairly good. unfortunately, it's not really how big the sound document is, i think it has more to do with production, mixing and mastering. a rip of a a 70s vinyl album at 128kbs still is much easier to listen to than a compressed to shit green day album. i don't know the bitrate of that recent crazy horse video, but it sounds so warm to me, even though it's basically sludgy distorted noise...which i love from neil.

I think he was working on something like that a few years ago. I believe he was just putting a number out there, like when people say something cost a "gazzillon dollars". I just meant I am one of those old dudes who believes analog sounds better than digital. And tube amps, and drum sounds, etc. All the old stuff sounds better to me. It's just Neil doing what he does. It's all about sound, cars, and trains.