Pono looks very interesting. i'm curious if the music will be mastered. if it's still mastered to brick wall hell, then what's the point? i would still miss artwork. i do like the idea of just a music player and not a bunch of other stuff. this might bring music back into stores if they sold the giant files in flash drives that came with gatefold sleeves. now that would be amazing!

• Replies 917
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Listening to the Chrome Dreams boot again this evening - great record.

I look forward to the Chicago show - the United Center is not ideal - I got floor seats (GA), hopefully it sounds good on the floor.

;

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I got the book Waging Heavy Peace the other day. It's pretty funny that he states in the book if you don't like the way I am doing this, pass it on to someone else.

I almost took him up on that offer. The first third of that book was rough. I dont really care about his love of trains or electric Cadillacs or his challenged children. I'm glad I stuck with it though. Neil is an unrepentant hippie and I like that.

I like it just fine. I can relate to some of his trips.

He is really just giving a more personal take on some of the stuff that was in the Shakey book. I am down with his ideas about sound, but I will be surprised if the method he is trying to sell ends up going anywhere.

It's cool that he mentions Wilco is one of his favorite bands.

It's a song where Neil's recent lyrical style works well. It's quite poignent and moving. However, the lyrics to Driftin Back really grate on me. I think Neil should have combined the two Crazy Horse releases this year and we would have had one great album. Ramada Inn, Walk Like a Giant, She's Always Dancing along with tracks like Oh Susanna and High Flyin Bird etc.

As for the book. I thought it was shocking. I got so frustrated with the endless chatter about sound quality and his mission to save music. There were some touching moments in it but the negatives outweighed the positives. The comparable book I suppose is Dylans Chronicles which, in contrast, was a work of genius and really well crafted. Raging Heavy Peace was sloppy and slap-dash.

I am curious about Neil's current tour. I have seen him once before back in 1996. Was going to go to a show in NY soon. Saw his recent setlist He only playes 14 songs??? Is this true? :uhoh

A 14 song set for Neil and Crazy Horse could still last about a week if the latest album an anything to go by. Expect full-on jams with endless feedback.

It's a song where Neil's recent lyrical style works well. It's quite poignent and moving. However, the lyrics to Driftin Back really grate on me. I think Neil should have combined the two Crazy Horse releases this year and we would have had one great album. Ramada Inn, Walk Like a Giant, She's Always Dancing along with tracks like Oh Susanna and High Flyin Bird etc.

As for the book. I thought it was shocking. I got so frustrated with the endless chatter about sound quality and his mission to save music. There were some touching moments in it but the negatives outweighed the positives. The comparable book I suppose is Dylans Chronicles which, in contrast, was a work of genius and really well crafted. Raging Heavy Peace was sloppy and slap-dash.

although it had a cool cover, i think Americana was kind of a joke album a la Fork in the Road. it should've been a free download. i wish the tunes on psychadelic pill were a bit shorter and 'fixed' a bit. driftin back is good through verse three and then it blows! the songs just seem kind of not done or done on the fly. still some gems though. as for the book, yeah, it sucked. of course i read the whole damn thing and immediately gave it away...unlike shakey which i've read several times. the only great chapter in the memoir was the Zuma days one.

no joke, dylan's Chronicles was amazing. it read like a long ass dylan song! unfortunately, i'm not a huge dylan fan. i wish i was because he has been putting out some of his best work in the last two decades, unlike neil.

I don't get all the hatred. I have read and/or own hundreds of rock star books. I think Neil's book is certainly a cut above what is out there.

I understand he goes on about the music player too much, but other than that I think it is just Neil being Neil.

I wonder how many people go to that Home Depot just to see his son.