• Replies 917
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saw the show in Ottawa last night. It was amazing, like watching a lightning storm from a plane amazing. If you can make it, go. Too long song finishes be damned. If you get to see Billy Talbot audible a song to Neil, who then reacts immediately and heads to his pedals instead of receiving the guitar his tech is delivering to him, and that song turns out to be Cortez the Killer which is then played with as much energy and passion as i've ever seen put into a song by anyone (followed by a punk Mr. Soul and chest vibrating Hey Hey!), well that is a once in a lifetime musical moment during a show by one of the most legendary, solid and worthy bands of rock and roll. I witnessed that and it was so fun to see after listening to these guys for 30yrs.

IMG_2498_2.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

My kid got me the book for Xmas. Opened it up and the next thing you know it's 2 AM and I'm 300 pages into it. LIKE.

• 2 weeks later...

I watched "Journeys" this weekend.  Pretty enjoyable.  The guy can still belt out a tune at his age.  I was less crazy about some of the cinematography, but what the heck.

LouieB

yeah, that was a pretty good movie.  i saw that tour.  the one before that, trunk show, has not been released on dvd yet.  i got to see it and it really isn't that good.  i wish neil would just take a project and really work on it to make it good rather than releasing half assed ideas every six months.  unfortunately. psychedelic pill is not holding up for me.

yeah, that was a pretty good movie.  i saw that tour.  the one before that, trunk show, has not been released on dvd yet.  i got to see it and it really isn't that good.  i wish neil would just take a project and really work on it to make it good rather than releasing half assed ideas every six months.  unfortunately. psychedelic pill is not holding up for me.

Half assed is the order of the day for him I think.  After the beautifully rendered Heart of Gold, Journeys was a letdown.  Even the wandering around his old boyhood haunts wasn't all that enlightening, although I did enjoy it.  The performance, not so much. 

So why hasn't Trunk Show been released on DVD?

I have not bought a new Neil for myself in years, but I do buy them for my wife, who may listen to them once and never again.  I bought her Ameriana this year and it is interesting, but that's about it.

LouieB

• 7 months later...

Rolling Stone reprint their original damning review of After the Goldrush from 1970.  Wow.  Is it possible for a reviewer to be so wrong about everything?

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/albumreviews/after-the-gold-rush-19701015

It was really interesting...the reviewer apparently hated Deja Vu also.

The song "After The Gold Rush," for instance, reminds one of nothing so much as Mrs. Miller moaning and wheezing her way through "I'm A Lonely Little Petunia In An Onion Patch." Apparently no one bothered to tell Neil Young that he was singing a half octave above his highest acceptable range. At that point his pathos becomes an irritating bathos. I can't listen to it at all.

This really captures the snarky, cooler that thou and very often clueless wonder that Rolling stone was in the early years.

Now they simply rate everything at three stars other than releases from the favored ones.

This really captures the snarky, cooler that thou and very often clueless wonder that Rolling stone was in the early years.

Now they simply rate everything at three stars other than releases from the favored ones.

Yep, basically true. And a "favored one" for sure is none other than Neil. Without doing research, it seems like nearly everything Neil has done in the last 20+ years gets at least 4 stars, if not 5. Same with someone like Petty. Or Bruce. Hey, I'm glad these guys are still doin' it, they sure as hell don't have to, but not everything they put out is destined to be a 'classic'. Especially with Neil, and I consider myself to be a big fan.

• 1 month later...

By way of Rolling Stone:

Neil Young's ongoing Archive Performance Series will continue on November 26th with the release of Live at the Cellar Door, recorded during Young's six-show stand at Washington D.C.'s matchbox-sized Cellar Door between November 30th, 1970 and December 2nd, 1970. The two-disc set will be available on CD and 180-gram vinyl.

The solo acoustic shows came about four months after the release of After the Goldrush, Young's best selling album to date that featured "Tell Me Why," "Don't Let It Bring You Down," "Birds" as well as the haunting title track. Those songs are all on Live at the Cellar Door along with older favorites like "Down by the River" "Cinnamon Girl" and Buffalo Springfield classics "Expecting to Fly," "I Am a Child" and "Flying on the Ground Is Wrong." 

The six Cellar Door shows marked Young's first concerts after a nearly five-month break. He spent some of that time writing new material, and the shows featured the debut performances of "Old Man," "Bad Fog of Loneliness" and "See the Sky About to Rain." It's also one of the few concerts where he played "Cinnamon Girl" on the piano.  

He played two shows per evening at the Cellar Door, and they essentially served as a public rehearsal for his two-night stand at New York's Carnegie Hall on December 4th and 5th, 1970. Nobody knew it at the time, but Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young quietly broke up after their summer tour wrapped that July. The success of After the Goldrush demonstrated that Young was a genuine superstar outside of the short-lived supergroup, and his fame would only grow as the decade went on.  

The Cellar Door was likely on his mind when he wrote "The Needle and the Damage Done," which he debuted in concert just one month after playing the venue. The song begins with the line, "I caught you knocking at my cellar door."

Live at the Cellar Door is the third volume of Young's Archive Performance Series to spotlight a show taped between March of 1970 and January of 1971, the others being Live at Massey Hall 1971 and Live at the Fillmore. In 2009, he released his long-anticipated box set The Archives Vol. 1 1963-1972, but fans are still awaiting any information about the second box set, which would likely cover the remainder of the 1970s.  

Here is the complete track listing for Live at the Cellar Door

Side One:

"Tell Me Why"
"Only Love Can Break Your Heart"
"After the Gold Rush"
"Expecting to Fly"
"Bad Fog of Loneliness"
"Old Man Birds"

Side Two:

"Don't Let It Bring You Down"
"See the Sky About to Rain"
"Cinnamon Girl"
"I Am a Child"
"Down by the River"
"Flying on the Ground Is Wrong" 

A handful of those tracks already appeared on the "Live at Massey Hall 1971" solo acoustic release from 2007. I wonder how different they sound here, if at all.

I was wondering the same thing, but I'll get it anyway. If it's even close to as good as the Massey Hall show it'll be worth it.

This looks interesting.  I would like to see something a little different than what's come before.  Not sure what I expect from this dude anymore.  I would much rather see Homegrown, Toast, Oceanside/Countryside or Archives II.  Maybe these mythical releases are not that good and that's why  Neil keeps releasing stuff from Archive I era.  Don't forget Pono :)

http://neilyoungnews.thrasherswheat.org

Thrasher has some interesting info.  The version of Sky About To Rain is the same from Archives I.  

• 2 months later...

Last night's setlist:

(some great songs in this set)

Neil Young at Carnegie Hall in New York City January 6, 2014

1. From Hank To Hendrix (acoustic guitar)
2. On The Way Home (acoustic guitar)
3. Only Love Can Break Your Heart (acoustic guitar)
4. Love In Mind (grand piano)
5. Mellow My Mind (banjo)
6. Are You Ready For The Country? (upright piano)
7. Someday (upright piano)
8. Changes (acoustic guitar)
9. Harvest (acoustic guitar)
10. Old Man (acoustic guitar)

11. Goin' Back (12 string acoustic guitar)
12. A Man Needs A Maid (piano/synthesizer)
13. Ohio (acoustic guitar)
14. Southern Man acoustic guitar)
15. Mr. Soul (pump organ)
16. Needle Of Death (acoustic guitar)
17. The Needle And The Damage Done (acoustic guitar)
18. Harvest Moon (acoustic guitar)
19. Flying On The Ground Is Wrong (upright piano)
20. After The Gold Rush (upright piano)
21. Heart Of Gold (acoustic guitar)

22. Comes A Time (acoustic guitar)
23. Long May You Run (acoustic guitar)

It's nice he threw in A Man Needs A Maid so everyone could to the restroom, but so soon after a break sort of defeats the purpose.

Why Neil insists on still playing that song is a mystery to me. It sucked back in the day and hasnt gotten any better.