He must have an interesting record deal - that allows him to release something like that through Jack White's company.

God Bless Tim Hardin - but Rod Stewart did the best version of Reason To Believe. At least - that is the way I look at it.

• Replies 917
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

God Bless Tim Hardin - but Rod Stewart did the best version of Reason To Believe. At least - that is the way I look at it.

He did a good one, but Tim's version is pretty world weary and good I think.

LouieB

Neil Young set list Monday, 4/21/14 at the Chicago Theatre:

1. From Hank to Hendrix

2. On the Way Home (Buffalo Springfield)

3. Only Love Can Break Your Heart

4. Love in Mind

5. Mellow My Mind

6. Reason to Believe (Tim Hardin)

7. Someday

8. Changes (Phil Ochs)

9. Harvest

10. Old Man

Set 2

12. Pocahontas

13. Cortez the Killer

14. A Man Needs a Maid

15. Ohio (Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young)

16. Southern Man

17. Mr. Soul (Buffalo Springfield)

18. If You Could Read My Mind (Gordon Lightfoot)

19. Harvest Moon

20. After the Gold Rush

21. Heart of Gold

Encore:

22. Thrasher

Of all the great songs he can play and he still sings "A Man Needs A Maid". Someone needs to have a sit down with Neil and set him straight. Other than that, a great set that I wish I saw.

i hope that new album comes out on CD at some point.  anyone found a rip of it out there?

btw, those sets do look pretty good.  i could do without the hits, but he's got to play them i guess.

A bunch of musicians talking about how great Pono is. . .

I thought it was interesting to see T. Bone Burnett in the video. As I recall - he and John Mellancamp tried something like this a few years ago.

Looks like he got the bucks:

That was a great video.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, Neil continues his recent trend of releasing a joke album before/after each serious album.  A Letter Home is basically unlistenable.  It's 'out there' if you're interested.  I wish Neil would do a well produced album of obscure covers.  

I've heard this album a couple times now, and just ordered the 12". I definitely love the lo-fi approach. This might be my favourite NY album since the 90s... Maybe....

http://neilyoungnews.thrasherswheat.org

Neil was on Fallon last night and recorded a tune in that booth he recorded A Letter Home in.  I just find so damn ironic that for months Neil went on and on about sound quality and then puts out an album recorded in the most primitive way possible.  Of course, you can get the ultra hi def vinyl version of this album so you can hear it in all it's shitty glory.

• 1 month later...

Finally got around to "A Letter Home". Listened to 3/4s of it and never got back to it. Returned to the library unnripped. I shant return to this flop.

Finally got around to "A Letter Home". Listened to 3/4s of it and never got back to it. Returned to the library unnripped. I shant return to this flop.

I just checked it out on Spotify...hard to listen to.  I always have respect for Neil but this is really some shit, worse than the CH record he made with all of the lullibys.

The song choices are interesting, but the whole thing is just a mess.  Aside from the sound quality, it sounds as if Neil didn't rehearse any of these songs before recording.  

That being said, Neil's on tour with Crazy Horse now and the set lists look fun.  Billy Talbot had a stroke so Rick Rosas is sitting in.  I wonder what's next for Neil?  Maybe something in the late fall?

The song choices are interesting, but the whole thing is just a mess.  Aside from the sound quality, it sounds as if Neil didn't rehearse any of these songs before recording.  

That being said, Neil's on tour with Crazy Horse now and the set lists look fun.  Billy Talbot had a stroke so Rick Rosas is sitting in.  I wonder what's next for Neil?  Maybe something in the late fall?

Neil just announced 2 Evening With shows in Boston in early October, at the Wang Theater. In usual Neil fashion, tickets top out at $350 plus service charges.

Neil just announced 2 Evening With shows in Boston in early October, at the Wang Theater. In usual Neil fashion, tickets top out at $350 plus service charges.

yeah, absolutely ridiculous.  i'd still like to see him with the horse or solo before he's done.

I just checked it out on Spotify...hard to listen to.  I always have respect for Neil but this is really some shit, worse than the CH record he made with all of the lullibys.

I have a copy of the audiophile verson of the record that was included with the vinyl set. It sounds much more listenable. The regular version sounds no better than a folkways-era field recording.

• 1 month later...

I wonder if Neil had a problem with Pegi's  budding musical career?