• Replies 917
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is a good point.

I am really shocked with this.

I wonder what the divorce rate is for 70+ year olds with over 30 years married. 

It will be interesting to see if he has another relationship and what kind of girl.  Would be funny if he hooked up with some young girl....or maybe not so funny.

I heard he was coming on Stern soon.....looking forward to that interview.

The divorce rate among old folks is surprisingly high, although it seems to be more common that the women initiate it than the men.  

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/22/fashion/weddings/divorce-after-50-grows-more-common.html

I learned about this a few years ago when my 65-year-old mom divorced my 67-year-old dad out of the blue.  That sucked.

I learned about this a few years ago when my 65-year-old mom divorced my 67-year-old dad out of the blue.  That sucked.

If you don't mind me asking, what were their reasons?

My 80 year old grandmother in-law divorced her 70ish second husband a few years ago.  Her first husband died of cancer in the early 90's, and she remarried pretty fast.  She jumped the gun because she didn't want to be alone, and soon figured out the dude was a creep.    

I've always said that it takes at least 10 years or so for a marriage to really settle in.  After 10 years, you have experienced a good bit of the shit that comes with marriage.  So I'm pretty baffled when two people have been together for 20 or 30+ years and then call it quits.  It has to be infidelity, or something else involved...  "We just got tired of each other" is a bunch of bullshit.  Again, I think you would have gotten tired of each other within the first 10 years.. 

Nope it isn't just about infidelity. It can very much be about boredom, growing apart, or just being tired of being in a coupled living situation. It can also be about substance abuse, mental health issues, no longer having children at home, or any number of other things.  Shit happens and cheating may not be what finally ends a marriage.  Who knows in this case, but really what do any of us know about any other relationship.  (Remember Al and Tipper Gore?  There seemed to be no reason for them to give it up, while the Clinton's keep on truckin.)

LouieB

My mom got involved with her bridge partner (also married) and decided that she'd rather not stay married to my dad. I can't say they ever seemed all that happy together but they also never seemed particularly unhappy, and other than the affair (which I found out about after the fact) there was no obvious precipitating event. She just decided not to be unhappily married any more.

An elderly couple walks into a therapist's office. They are very slow to settle into their chairs, and the husband, who is on a walker, actually requires help from his wife sitting down.

The therapist says, "Well, what can I do for you two?"

The elderly woman says, "We want a divorce!"

The therapist can barely keep a straight face. He thinks it must be some kind of prank someone is pulling on him. "Um, may I ask how long you have been married?"

"Seventy-one years," the husband says.

"Seventy-one...." the therapist's voice trails off. He can barely remember his last marriage, much less comprehend being married that long. "And may I ask how old you are?"

"I'm ninety-one," says the wife, "and he's ninety-three."

The therapist nods and asks, "And you say you want a divorce. This is what you both want?"

The man shakes his head yes, and the woman as well.

"You know," the therapist says, "seventy-one years is quite a long time to be married. May I ask what took so long for you to decide you want a divorce?"

The wife says, "We had to wait for the kids to die."

He's also rumored to be recording an orchestra for an upcoming album called Storytone.  I'll probably pass on the new book.  Last one was not that great.  I wish McDonough would revise Shakey to cover the last 10 years.  

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2014/sep/01/neil-young-prepping-orchestral-album-storytone

He's also rumored to be recording an orchestra for and upcoming album called Storytone. I'll probably pass on the new book. Last one was not that great. I wish McDonough would revise Shakey to cover the last 10 years.

I'm with you on both points. I found WHP to be a bit of a slog. Shakey, on the other hand, was a great read.

i love neil, but over the last decade he has just made a fool of himself.  not to mention the lemmings that LOVE everything he does.  see: Thrasher's Wheat.  I really can't listen to much of him any more.  I'm much more inclined to listen to people I really respect like Patterson Hood and Tweedy.

i love neil, but over the last decade he has just made a fool of himself.  not to mention the lemmings that LOVE everything he does.  see: Thrasher's Wheat.  I really can't listen to much of him any more.  

I agree.  I thought Prarie Wind was super dull, and Living With War was pathetic (even though I agree with the spirit of it.)  Neil at one time was probably my favorite artist, but I've checked out and probably won't buy anything else that he releases.

Le Noise is one of my favorite NY albums. Probably in the minority there.  Psychedelic Pill was ok. Still mindblowing in concert, whatever the format, along with good films. Some nice parts of his book. Probably not much else to speak of in the last 15 yrs. 

Le Noise was an interesting project, but the songs were not there.  Good points though.

I agree.  I thought Prarie Wind was super dull, and Living With War was pathetic (even though I agree with the spirit of it.)  Neil at one time was probably my favorite artist, but I've checked out and probably won't buy anything else that he releases.

Yeah, I tried to re-listen to PW recently and couldn't get past song 2.  LWW is laughable at times.  His 70s stuff and early 90s stuff is excellent imo.  Not so much in the 80s or the last decade.  I bet he's got one more good acoustic album in him though.  

Le Noise was an interesting project, but the songs were not there.  Good points though.

I like all the songs. Maybe they are aided by the direct intensity of the performances/arrangements. Just Neil and heavy guitar throughout. Walk with Me, Love and War, and Hitchhiker all seem like classics. Peaceful Valley Blvd is a masterpiece: http://youtu.be/FUgUZex2n7M

http://youtu.be/wU5B53b9ntQ

I like all the songs. Maybe they are aided by the direct intensity of the performances/arrangements. Just Neil and heavy guitar throughout. Walk with Me, Love and War, and Hitchhiker all seem like classics. Peaceful Valley Blvd is a masterpiece: http://youtu.be/FUgUZex2n7M

http://youtu.be/wU5B53b9ntQ

Yeah, I like most of those songs.  Really don't care for Love and War, Rescue You or Rumbling.  And, I'd much rather have an acoustic Hitchhiker as I think it was originally intended.  

• 2 weeks later...