• Replies 917
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Tinnitus for posting that.  I guess it would be silly to think his remarks about Darryl Hannah was the cause of the issues but the interview was very ambiguous on the subject.  I’m sure it didn’t help the relationship but there has to be some baggage built up over the years.  I always thought Young and Stills had all the issues so it was a surprise to hear all the nice words about that relationship.

Howard Stern really is one of the best interviewers around.  He consistently asks the types of questions you want him to and has just the right amount of respect without being too ass kissing.  He clearly does his homework too.

“You have to choose 1, who are you going to record with, Crosby or Manson?“ :lol 

no worries, glad you enjoyed it.

It's absolutely horrid!  I've lost all respect for the man.  Comparing him to Dylan at this point is laughable.

at least Neil can still sing and play guitar.

so he's got that going for him.

• 3 weeks later...

So I caved and bought the box set yesterday. It was the only thing my record store had left over form Record Store Day that I was interested in.

As someone who grew up with these albums on CD, and a bootlegged copy of Time Fades Away, these albums look awesome and sound even better. Especially On The Beach and Zuma. There's something about how everything's packaged and the artwork that comes with the albums that is undeniably cool. It really feels like you are a part of a secret. Like you and Neil are taking your own personal journey through the past. 

The box sets are going for $500 on eBay now, so can't complain too much about the price I guess.

Does the new release of Time Fades Away have the lyric poster inside the record jacket?

I bought an original pressing of that album several years ago on Ebay and it had the poster. I was surprised. It wasn't ripped or anything.

Actually it does! And all of the albums come with the original paper sleeves with the artwork printed on them, although the records themselves come in a separate high quality sleeve. On The Beach even has the floral pattern printed on the inside of the jacket. I was very pleasantly surprised with the amount of effort that went into making them.

Bit the bullet and ordered the boxset off the Neil Young official store (no indie record stores in rural Canada, I'm afraid), though apparently it's on backorder for a month?? Hopefully they get here soon. 

You won't regret it. Especially if you've never experienced these albums on vinyl before. There's so much cool stuff printed on the LP jackets and on the inserts. It's like listening to the album for the first time again. And they sound amazing, obviously.

Actually you can just go on Discogs or GEMM or eBay if you don't care to wait. There are tons of copies of al these albums.  While some are harder to find than others, it is not like Neil Young was/is an unknown artist who pressed up a few hundred or a thousand copies, There were tens maybe even hundreds of thousands of these albums, particularly On the Beach and Tonight's the Night that were sold.  I find it ridiculous that Neil thinks he can charge people that much for some of these albums, since even the metal parts probably still exist to repress this stuff. 

It is crap like this that makes record collecting kind of stupid. 

LouieB

I guess I get a thrill from finding a relative rarity in good shape that I've been looking for and only paying a buck or two for it.

Looking for stuff at garage sales and thrift stores is a kick. Did it for years and still do. But you can go decades and never find what you really want and spend tons of time and money looking.  I am not saying don't keep looking, but because there is so much greater a market for used vinyl it is harder to find things now than it used to be. 

I found a cut out copy of On the Beach years ago for $2 but that was when records wee being remaindered at enormous rates.  Not knowing I had one I bought another for about $8 or 10 a few years ago.  Now the cost of such things is much higher because everyone wants one. 

LouieB

Doing the rummage thing is fun for finding odd ball stuff, but if you are dying to find a particular album, most of the time you are out of luck.  Go with low expectations and you will find something fun.  Go looking for something you want or something of high value and you will probably be disappointed.  There are now people who make their living doing this and they are  usually the first in line,

LouieB

Yeah - a really cool guy opened a vinyl shop a few years ago. He buys big lots and storage, collections, etc.

You take him a huge stack of records and he may ask $25.

When it first opened, I would see just about any Neil Young or Dylan album.

As more and more people found out about it, stuff thinned out.

People bought the Young/Dylan so much that he had to increase the price on them.

He also started selling the ones that are probably worth more on eBay and Discogs.

Just went for the first time the other week and I think the only Young I saw was the one I have seen the most in my crate digging - Re-ac-tor.

The last 5 years with the vinyl 'boom' has made it much harder.

That is what I liked about the format 10 years ago - I could get albums by artists I liked in the most popular format of the time and for cheap.

Now vinyl for a 2014 album is ridiculously priced at $25-$35.

I will keep buying mostly CD's. I would rather get a few albums on CD than 1 album on vinyl.

The way to really get me to go for vinyl of new things is to have exclusives.

To really, really get me, would be to have an additional CD copy included for little to no extra cost.

I guess it is ok to younger kids because they are so used to the free/download culture. They just buy a few albums they really like on vinyl and have the rest digitally.

Trying to think what Young albums I have on vinyl:

On the Beach - I think $1 or so. It was in a cheap bin. I'm guessing because the jacket had water damage and the sleeve was for another album. The record is in great shape though.

Re-ac-tor - These are usually pretty cheap since I guess no one wanted them.

Everyone Knows This is Nowhere - don't remember what I paid for this or the quality. Been a while. I imagine $5 or less.

After the Gold Rush - same as Everyone

My other problem with the vinyl format is the players themselves - or at least the ones I have. Now that it is popular again I don't think it's very easy to go and by a decent used one anymore.

• 1 month later...

Wondering if anyone knows if After the Goldrush's organ and melody was lifted or influenced by the Stones' You Can't Always Get What You Want intro with the horn? Just recently noticed the similarity. Did Neil consciously or unconsciously borrow it? Or no real relation between the two?

Lyrically, thematically some similarities as well - the end of the sixties and what not.