• Replies 917
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is only in post post WWII era that anyone has goes out of their way to sue anyone over a similar song.  In the old days they consciously tired to sound like another song because the first song had sold.  Answer songs were common in the early rock era with no one even caring. 

I am listening to a clip bbop posted from the AV club regarding how close the Petty/Smith songs are.  While they are pretty darn close a case could be made that they are not really the SAME song.  They are similar for sure, but so are lots of songs.  (Actually both songs kinda suck anyway.) And yea, My Sweet Lord is clearly based on He's so Fine. So what? 

LouieB

I've got no beef with Neil being influenced by the Stones. Actually think it would be kinda cool - Goldrush came out about a year after YCAGWYW. Dylan and Robert Hunter have updated the American songbook by rewriting old songs. I'm pretty familiar with that practice.  

I don't think Led Zeppelin owes anyone money. But I do think the Byrds and Dylan should sue Petty for doing such a shit job of blatantly ripping off their sound, style, and persona. 

I don't think Led Zeppelin owes anyone money. But I do think the Byrds and Dylan should sue Petty for doing such a shit job of blatantly ripping off their sound, style, and persona. 

:lol

I got in trouble with the Petty fans around here a while back for saying that Neil was a poor man's Dylan and Petty was a poor man's Neil.

It's all true.  You think anyone is really that original?  I remember when Being There came out and I wish I had written up my thoughts then.  There was more homage in there than you could shake a stick at and it was cool as hell.

LouieB

Young borrowed the tune, even talked about it in the song, and still didn't credit them?

Wow. Unless the Wikipedia entry is incomplete, it only lists Young.

Mick: This is bullshit!  We're gonna sue the britches off ol' Neil!

Keef: Aww, lighten up, Brenda.  I mean, he admits he's all fucked up.  He's alright in my book.

:lol

I got in trouble with the Petty fans around here a while back for saying that Neil was a poor man's Dylan and Petty was a poor man's Neil.

Apples and oranges. Dylan could never light up a guitar like Neil, and Shakey's better lyrics are still not as good as Dylan's.

• 3 months later...

You are scaring me. (I'm at work so I can't really check this out.)  At some point these guys need to acknowledge that their better years are behind them and mine their back catalogue and keep their old and young fans happy.  There is no real need for crappy material out of Neil. He has written great songs, lots of them.  These recent efforts are just not worth the time.

LouieB

He's one of my top 5, but I've come to really dislike the man, causes and music since his ridiculous post 9/11 album. One could probably pull together a mediocre, yet listenable ep or lp from the shit put out since silver and gold. His pono project is so misguided that it's not worth talking about. His first archive set was a big fuck you to fans. Finally, his political escapades are commendable, but it's just neohippie posturing. I wish Neil would just take a break and spend five years writing 10 good songs surrounded by 'no men'. Then reemerge at age 75 with a real comeback.