I think Neil does it as a means to spread his message. I doubt he makes very much of off album sales these days. I suppose this one might be grabbed by people curious about what he is putting down. I am down with his message - but that music is terrible.

• Replies 917
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Creativity research shows that there is a peak in the 20s that wanes in the mid to late 30s.  This could be for academics, artists etc.  To me it pans out.  Look at all the great bands from the late 60s, 70s.  Their initial stuff was okay and then moved into classic art.  This seems to last about 10 years and then falls off into lack of productivity or lack of quality.  All the great ones struggled in the 80s, right?  Anyway, the caveat is that these creative types can have a resurgence later in life.  An example to me is Dylan.  He loses it around 1980 (earlier?) and then, bam, Time Out of Mind in 1998.  Whether you're into him or not, it's a solid, good album.  Everything that's followed that has been original material has been great (maybe not classic though).

The thing about Neil is that he's just driven to create whether it's crap or not.  He also has no one around that tells him that his work is shit.  That's not to mention the lemmings that have no critical ear and think everything the man does is magic.

I think it can be stated that the quantity of creativity lessens with age. I'm not sure the same can be said about the quality, as that is more subjective.

I guess I'm wondering something along the lines of late in life development leading to wisdom, an embracing of cliches as reality, resolution of irony, and lessening of smugness. Probably a discussion for another board, but I think there is some alternate explanation than simple or cynical ones that are often times offered.

That is truly laughable. Writing a listenable political song about about a very specific topic/corporation/etc. can't be easy and should rarely be attempted. Neil Young supposedly "doesn't give a shit" and all of that, but it doesn't make him any less delusional.

What I would like to know is Lukas and Micah Nelson's true opinion of the song. Also, what does Willie think about it? I can imagine the conversation: "When Neil said that he wanted us as his band, we were psyched! Neil Fucking Young! But Jesus H. Christ, Dad! These songs suck. What do we do? And don't say get high because even you couldn't smoke enough to tolerate this crap."

Okay, I finally listened to this. Honestly it isn't the worst song ever, but the lyrics could use some serious help. 

Remember this is the same guy who supported Ronald Reagan.  I guess he is still trying to make up for that.

And I must be totally out of it, I have no idea what Starbucks has to do with Monstanto.  I try not to go to Starbucks anyway (can't drink coffee). 

LouieB

You can read about that in the Shakey book. 

I read that book - it's been awhile though.

I haven't listened to the Psychedelic Pill  release in awhile - but I thought the tunes he played off of it when I saw him with Crazy Horse were great in a live setting.

Since Greendale, I think I only bought Psychedelic Pill and Americana. Have the vast majority of his prior to Greendale releases, though. Listened to Weld , again, this past Memorial weekend - I always get a kick out of Farmer John.

Didn't realize Neil supported Reagan at one time --- yeah I heard worst Neil songs - but that's not saying much.

At the time I thought this was parody because he was doing the country music thing and that's expected of country musicians.

On a completely unrelated note I just picked up a Canadian pressing of Comes A Time for like $5, and it sounds excellent. I feel like I've always underappreciated this album but the vinyl version sounds so much warmer and alive than the CD version did.

It's like listening to the album for the first time again. :)

On a completely unrelated note I just picked up a Canadian pressing of Comes A Time for like $5, and it sounds excellent. I feel like I've always underappreciated this album but the vinyl version sounds so much warmer alive than the CD version did.

Love that album but could do without motorcycle mama.

I think it can be stated that the quantity of creativity lessens with age. I'm not sure the same can be said about the quality, as that is more subjective.

I guess I'm wondering something along the lines of late in life development leading to wisdom, an embracing of cliches as reality, resolution of irony, and lessening of smugness. Probably a discussion for another board, but I think there is some alternate explanation than simple or cynical ones that are often times offered.

This seems very applicable to me as a 38 year old who tries to write songs now and then, especially the embracing cliches as reality part. 

As far as Neil, he is in my top 5 also, but in all fairness, i feel he has been good for one essential album per decade since the end of the 70's.  Maybe 1 1/2.  I loved Psychadelic Pil, but mostly he just annoys me these days.  And let's not get started on the cost of his vinyl. Oh well. 

This seems very applicable to me as a 38 year old who tries to write songs now and then, especially the embracing cliches as reality part.

As far as Neil, he is in my top 5 also, but in all fairness, i feel he has been good for one essential album per decade since the end of the 70's. Maybe 1 1/2. I loved Psychadelic Pil, but mostly he just annoys me these days. And let's not get started on the cost of his vinyl. Oh well.

I'm curious, what are your picks are for each decade. For the 80s, it's obviously Freedom, but Trans was an important album. The 90s have a few good albums including Ragged, Harvest Moon, Sleeps With Angels, Silver and Gold. The 2000s have been rough. Excluding Amercana and the last 3 albums you could pull together an okay comp. I wouldn't call any of albums since Live Rust as classic though. That's due precisely to smugness, narrcicism, shitty production and very spotty song writing. This compared to Dylan and Springsteen who have put out some arguably classic albums ( Time Out of Mind, The Rising).

I've studied wisdom too. That's a slippery slope because of differing operational definitions. Pat of it can be no longer giving a shit. I don't think Neil has ever given a shit. He's smug though. And, does anyone ever resolve irony ? :-)

The 80's:  ???? I swore both Ragged Glory and Harvest Moon were in the late 80's, oh well.  Fuck, I liked two songs a lot on Hawks and Doves (of course they were leftovers from aborted 70's albums.  

Alright 90's:  Good decade,  Harvest Moon, Ragged Glory, but I LOVE Sleeps With Angels.  Broken Arrow is ok and Mirror Ball is not okay.  I like Silver & Gold.   Harvest Moon is essential probably.

2000's:  Oh here we go down the stupidity rabbit hole.  Prairie Wind is not as good as it should be.  What else is out there?  I didn't think Greendale was very good.  Terrible decade.

2010's:  I really like Psychadelic Pill .  I found Americana interesting.  Chrome Dreams II was a joke, I never understood the love for Le Noise.  

The 80's:  ???? I swore both Ragged Glory and Harvest Moon were in the late 80's, oh well.  Fuck, I liked two songs a lot on Hawks and Doves (of course they were leftovers from aborted 70's albums.  

Alright 90's:  Good decade,  Harvest Moon, Ragged Glory, but I LOVE Sleeps With Angels.  Broken Arrow is ok and Mirror Ball is not okay.  I like Silver & Gold.   Harvest Moon is essential probably.

2000's:  Oh here we go down the stupidity rabbit hole.  Prairie Wind is not as good as it should be.  What else is out there?  I didn't think Greendale was very good.  Terrible decade.

2010's:  I really like Psychadelic Pill .  I found Americana interesting.  Chrome Dreams II was a joke, I never understood the love for Le Noise.  

Very good points nodope.  90s were sort of a comeback.  Ragged Glory suffers from some production issue, but has some classic tunes, two of them being from the 70s, go figure (White Line, Country Home).  Harvest Moon is great, but not on par with 70s output.  Sleeps With Angels is a masterpiece, except for maybe Piece of Crap.  Mirrorball was missed opportunity.  Some potentially good tunes on there.  Broken Arrow is good too, but a bit sloppy.  Big Time and Music Arcade are classic tunes to me.  Also, don't forget Looking Forward with CSNY.  Slowpoke and Looking Forward are great tunes that were supposed to be on Silver & Gold (which was initially going to be called Slowpoke).  

Below is my playlist for Neil in the 00s.  Although S&G came out in 2000, I'm not counting that since it's solid all the way through.

Going Home (Are You Passionate)

Falling From Above (Greendale)

Bandit (Greendale)

The Painter (Prairie Wind)

After The Garden (Living With War)

Roger & Out (Living With War)

Beautiful Bluebird (Cream Dreams II)

Ever After (Cream Dreams II)

Light A Candle (Fork In The Road)

Walk With Me (Le Noise)

Hitchhiker (Le Noise)

Ramada Inn (Psychedelic Pill)

Twisted Road (Psychedelic Pill)

Honorable mentions:

Love And War (Le Noise)

Peaceful Valley Blvd. (Le Noise)

Driftin' Back (Psychedelic Pill)

It's funny, Neil has been my favorite for awhile.

I saw him for the first time excluding Farm Aid in Chicago in 07 I believe, during the trunk shows. Of all the songs he played, Mellow My Mind, Cowgirl in the Sand, Bad Fog of Loneliness, Ambulance Blues....one of the songs I remember most was No Hidden Path. Absolutely blew me away.

On a completely unrelated note I just picked up a Canadian pressing of Comes A Time for like $5, and it sounds excellent. I feel like I've always underappreciated this album but the vinyl version sounds so much warmer and alive than the CD version did.

I'd say that one is one of my favorites. It occupies that critically respected but not overly discussed spot like Dylan's Desire. There's something extra satisfying about slightly lesser known albums by huge career artists. "Deep cuts" or whatever they call it.

It's funny, Neil has been my favorite for awhile.

I saw him for the first time excluding Farm Aid in Chicago in 07 I believe, during the trunk shows. Of all the songs he played, Mellow My Mind, Cowgirl in the Sand, Bad Fog of Loneliness, Ambulance Blues....one of the songs I remember most was No Hidden Path. Absolutely blew me away.

Same here.  Neil has been a huge part of my music universe for 25 years now.

I saw him on the Chrome Dreams Continental Tour in 2007.  "No Hidden Path" was the highlight of the show.  And the set list wasn't too shabby:

His recent output does not hold up to his purple patch period, but he's released some great stuff in the past several decades.  It's spottier as of late, but I still look forward to a new Neil release.  I put together a Spotify playlist a few weeks ago with my favorite cuts from 2000 til now - 21st Century Neil.  Spotify doesn't have Chrome Dreams II, but if it did, I'd also include "Dirty Old Man" and "No Hidden Path".
  • 3 weeks later...

So Trump used Rockin in the free world at his presidential announce.  So Neil was not happy and then Trump people said they got clearance and paid the fee but will stop using it.  Trump is a Neil fan I guess.  Funny thing is that Neil has no idea he song was licensed out.  I am not sure how it works with publishing these days but would have thought they would have to ask his permission, I guess not.

The other thing is you should go on Neil's Facebook page for his reaction.  He must promote his own shit like 20 times in the "rant".  All he talks about is Pono and his new disc and other shit he is trying to push. 

The other thing is you should go on Neil's Facebook page for his reaction.  He must promote his own shit like 20 times in the "rant".  All he talks about is Pono and his new disc and other shit he is trying to push. 

Isn't it just marketers that write that stuff though? Honestly, I have no idea.