• Replies 917
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So Trump used Rockin in the free world at his presidential announce.  So Neil was not happy and then Trump people said they got clearance and paid the fee but will stop using it.  Trump is a Neil fan I guess.  Funnyhttp://ultimateclassicrock.com/donald-trump-neil-young/http://ultimateclassicrock.com/donald-trump-neil-young/ thing is that Neil has no idea he song was licensed out.  I am not sure how it works with publishing these days but would have thought they would have to ask his permission, I guess not.

The other thing is you should go on Neil's Facebook page for his reaction.  He must promote his own shit like 20 times in the "rant".  All he talks about is Pono and his new disc and other shit he is trying to push. 

To quote my own quote.

Looks like neil went to the Trump for $$$$ recently...lol.

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/donald-trump-neil-young/

So, because Neil went to Trump for money for a business deal, this somehow means Neil should automatically endorse the use of his music for Trump's political campaign. You can deal with someone on a business level that you have no political affinity with, it doesn't automatically make you a hypocrite.

So, because Neil went to Trump for money for a business deal, this somehow means Neil should automatically endorse the use of his music for Trump's political campaign. You can deal with someone on a business level that you have no political affinity with, it doesn't automatically make you a hypocrite.

There in lies one of the many irrationalities of capitalism.

Incidentally, Monsanto Years is much more listenable than Storytone.  However, Neil is losing his voice and is writing songs way to high for him.

Neil loses points for even wanting to do business with Trump. Gross. Guess he doesn't care where his seed money comes from.

That is the point.

The other point is (not sure if true) but Trump said he got the proper license and paid for the use.

Trust me, Neil has been my #1 guy since I was 12 and I heard Sugar Mountain but he turned into a money grubbing.......ticket prices are very high and all he does is talk about his products (this Pono things is a joke and he went out and got crowd funding). 

I can understand that an artist doesn't want to be seen as backing a candidate, even if the candidate validly paid for the rights to do so. I don't think Neil is a hypocrite for seeking to do business with Trump, while also telling Trump not to use his music. 

That is the point.

The other point is (not sure if true) but Trump said he got the proper license and paid for the use.

Trust me, Neil has been my #1 guy since I was 12 and I heard Sugar Mountain but he turned into a money grubbing.......ticket prices are very high and all he does is talk about his products (this Pono things is a joke and he went out and got crowd funding). 

We're all caught up in the same sick web.  We are aware of, abhor and critique the corporate system, yet we're all slaves to it.  

I'm a 1/2 dozen listens into The Monsanto Years and I really like it.  It has a bit of a Greendale vibe to it, which, IMHO, is his last "great(ish)" record.

Nice to hear somebody say that.  I really liked Greendale but it seems to get more negative than positive reviews.  I'll have to give this one a listen.

• 3 weeks later...

FUCKIN NEIL...WTF is wrong with this guy...it sounds great to my ears. 

Although I just checked my spotify and still streaming.

Call him a curmudgeon if you’d like, but Neil Young certainly isn’t sitting back on the veranda in his golden years. Hot on the release of The Monsanto Years, a sincere anti-corporate tirade backed up by blistering guitars, Young has now decided to pull all his music from streaming music services.

Neil made the announcement earlier today via his Facebook page, calling streaming music “the worst quality in the history of broadcasting or any other form of distribution.”

The full statement reads:

When this will all fall into place is uncertain. As of mid-afternoon, July 15, Spotify is still fully loaded with Neil’s music, old and new.

Streaming has ended for me. I hope this is ok for my fans.

It’s not because of the money, although my share (like all the other artists) was dramatically reduced by bad deals made without my consent.

It’s about sound quality. I don’t need my music to be devalued by the worst quality in the history of broadcasting or any other form of distribution. I don’t feel right allowing this to be sold to my fans. It’s bad for my music.

For me, It’s about making and distributing music people can really hear and feel. I stand for that.
When the quality is back, I’ll give it another look. Never say never.

Neil Young

Read More: Neil Young Says 'No' to Streaming Services | http://diffuser.fm/neil-young-says-no-to-streaming-services/?trackback=tsmclip

I believe him when he wrote it's not about the money, but rather quality of the stream.

Really?

$250 for concert tickets

Crowd funding for his Pono.

I agree to some extent but why is so obsessed with the quality. As far as I can hear in my car car when I crank up Cortez it sounds awesome. I don't get it. Compared to just about every medium that existed. 8 tracks cassette cd, the current steaming sounds pretty pretty good. He is nuts get over yourself it's only music

Really?

$250 for concert tickets

Crowd funding for his Pono.

I agree to some extent but why is so obsessed with the quality. As far as I can hear in my car car when I crank up Cortez it sounds awesome. I don't get it. Compared to just about every medium that existed. 8 tracks cassette cd, the current steaming sounds pretty pretty good. He is nuts

What it comes to the whole Spotify thing it isn't about the money --- everything else, sure.

I don't get it either - I use Spotify when I am at work -- through shitty computer speakers --- even his Pono system will sound sucky through typical computer speakers. I would say keep stuff on Spotify, which is easily accessible to many, who then may go out an purchase his Pono system stuff (I never head anything from Pono) if they enjoy his music.

I just read he got fined a bunch of money for going over curfew the other night. I always figured he knew everything there was to know about his business.

It's not because of the money, although my share (like all the other artists) was dramatically reduced by bad deals made without my consent.

Musings from a friend in Detroit

Bassist wanted to be in a rap rock band, drummer was all 2s and 4s using every limb at the same time so white like mashed potatoes white, one kid kept using his bow on everything but you couldn't even hear it they all had stupid hats, and the guitar-guitarist played his instrument ably like a super straight boring guitar teacher might -- also used his teeth like FOUR TIMES. Just horrible.

I still love Neil, but yeah he is reaching parody status in many ways.  Pono was a great idea, but the idea of people buying mp3s and storing them on a device is now ancient technology. It's so 2009!  It doesn't matter if it sounds great, streaming has made Pono as irrelevant as the cd.

Soon, streaming will offer much better sound quality and the issue is mostly resolved.