They think, "wow another way to get fans to cough up some money."  Nothing at this point matters.  Neil gets to put out whatever he wants because people continue to buy his music, maybe not as much as they did in the past, but they buy what is new and then think, damn that's not as good as the old stuff and go buy the old stuff too.

LouieB

• Replies 917
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a contingent of NY fans who just become more convinced of his on going genius with every successive shitty album he puts out. I really do wonder if we are hearing the same music. Check Thrashers Wheat blog if you want a taste. Crazy.

For me, even listening to vintage Neil reminds me of the cartoon character he's become over the last decade. I keep waiting for him to get to the end of the joke and quietly release the acoustic masterpiece he's been sitting on for the last 15 years. Then, like Dylan, go on the never ending solo acoustic tour. With stage banter about how bad Landing Water was.

The Landing on Water tour in 86 was pretty awesome though. I still listen to my tape from the Cow Palace of that tour.

I just read he played Down By The River for over a half hour the other night in Memphis. That would be something to see.

Neil & POTR getting in the groove is a massively good thing. I saw a 20+ minute version of DBTR last fall. You are correct, it was something to see. POTR are on Colbert Wednesday night. No Neil mentioned in promo but you never know...

At JazzFest he did what must have been a 15 minute outro to Love and Only Love. A lot of folks in attendance hated it and were calling out "this sucks" and "play some songs", but I loved every second of it.

Agreed.  Neil's set at Jazzfest was possibly one of the greatest sets of rock n' roll psychedelia that I've ever seen.  It was basically the concert I've been waiting to see my whole life - like what I imiagine it would have been like seeing Floyd, Zeppelin or Crazy Horse back in the 70's.  It was so unpredictable and they were really feeling it and creating some magic on that stage.  I read that he played so long over his time that Trombone Shorty was left with less than an hour.  I'm guessing Neil and POTR played for about 2:15 and only played 8 songs in all that time.  I personally loved every second of it - especially that Cortez The Killer (must have been at least a 20-30 minute version).  Also Powderfinger was amazing and the new songs about Monsanto really hit hard in a live setting.

I think The Monsanto Years is a very good album.  Is it as good as some of his classic stuff from the 1970's?  Of course not, but not much is.  Then again, as goofy as it is, I love Americana.  And that "Horse Back" video that was released a few years ago to drum up excitement for the return of Neil Young & Crazy Horse was excellent.

Agreed. Neil's set at Jazzfest was possibly one of the greatest sets of rock n' roll psychedelia that I've ever seen. It was basically the concert I've been waiting to see my whole life - like what I imiagine it would have been like seeing Floyd, Zeppelin or Crazy Horse back in the 70's. It was so unpredictable and they were really feeling it and creating some magic on that stage. I read that he played so long over his time that Trombone Shorty was left with less than an hour. I'm guessing Neil and POTR played for about 2:15 and only played 8 songs in all that time. I personally loved every second of it - especially that Cortez The Killer (must have been at least a 20-30 minute version). Also Powderfinger was amazing and the new songs about Monsanto really hit hard in a live setting.

Powderfinger is my #1 favorite of all my favorite Neil tunes. Given that they were already out of time I had no expectation for an encore, so when they not only came back but came back with Powderfinger I had one of those moments of sheer bliss that only live music can bring.

Ronnie and Neil

Church blew up in Birmingham
Four little black girls killed for no goddamn good reason
All this hate and violence can't come to no good end
A stain on the good name.
A whole lot of good people dragged threw the blood and glass
Blood stains on their good names and all of us take the blame

Meanwhile in North Alabama, Wilson Pickett comes to town
To record that sweet soul music, to get that Muscle Shoals sound

Meanwhile in North Alabama, Aretha Franklin comes to town
To record that sweet soul music, to get that Muscle Shoals sound

And out in California, a rock star from Canada writes a couple of great songs about the
Bad shit that went down
"Southern Man" and "Alabama" certainly told some truth
But there were a lot of good folks down here and Neil Young wasn't around

Meanwhile in North Alabama, Lynyrd Skynyrd came to town
To record with Jimmy Johnson at Muscle Shoals Sound
And they met some real good people, not racist pieces of shit
And they wrote a song about it and that song became a hit

Ronnie and Neil Ronnie and Neil
Rock stars today ain't half as real
Speaking there minds on how they feel
Let them guitars blast for Ronnie and Neil

Now Ronnie and Neil became good friends their feud was just in song
Skynyrd was a bunch of Neil Young fans and Neil he loved that song
So He wrote "Powderfinger" for Skynyrd to record
But Ronnie ended up singing "Sweet Home Alabama" to the lord

And Neil helped carry Ronnie in his casket to the ground
And to my way of thinking, us southern men need both of them around

Ronnie and Neil Ronnie and Neil
Rock stars today ain't half as real
Speaking their minds on how they feel
Let them guitars blast for Ronnie and Neil

(Hood / DBT)
  • 2 months later...

Recently picked up a brand new vinyl bootleg (at Half Price Books) of Neil's11/17/92 concert at the local public TV studio (wttw). Listened to sides 1&2 last night; fantastic recording, sounded like I was right there in the room with him. I did see him play the following night. I wish I saw more shows on that tour. Highly recommended recording.

Recently picked up a brand new vinyl bootleg (at Half Price Books) of Neil's11/17/92 concert at the local public TV studio (wttw). Listened to sides 1&2 last night; fantastic recording, sounded like I was right there in the room with him. I did see him play the following night. I wish I saw more shows on that tour. Highly recommended recording.

That's from the Center Stage show I think.  I saw him on that tour and it is probably my #1 concert experience.  I would love to see some archival releases from the solo 92 and 99 shows. 

I'm sure you know but there is "Dreaming Man" (a 1992 compilation CD) that he released a few years back.

The dvd/video from Nov. 17, 1992, WTTW studios, Chicago show and interview is still seeding on Dime. Do a search for %WTTW%.

Also,  heard Old King on the way to work this a.m. on the radio.

• 1 month later...

It would be nice to see the full 1976 Japan tour footage:

The recent releases of Neil Young's long-unavailable 1982 feature film Human Highway and the 1979 concert doc Rust Never Sleeps are just the beginning of a deep excavation into his film archives, according to longtime manager Elliot Roberts.

"Neil has a whole series of Shakey Films that we've done through the years," Roberts tells Billboard. "We haven't really had a chance to put a lot of them out. Either he tours or starts doing an album or moves on to the next one. But we have about six or seven full-length films that will be coming out over the course of the next two years. These are really the first two."

Among the offerings on the runway are Hal Ashby's film of Young's 1982-83 one-man Trans Tour, a Tim Pope chronicle of an early Young concert in England, and a full-scale rollout of 2003's Greendale, which has never been in wide release. And with vinyl reissues of four albums -- 1973's Time Fades Away, 1974's On The Beach and the 1975 albums Tonight's The Night and Zuma -- coming on Sept. 6, Roberts says Young has finally checked off on reissuing the oft-requested Time Fades Away, though no release date has been set, while Archives 2 is nearly completed and should surface in 2017.