Hello from a fellow musician

Hey Guys, I am relatively new here, so I know that means a few things:

a) I must be a complete moron and a hack musician since I only have 5 posts on this forum

B) most of the regulars are going to immediately attack me because I am the new kid on the block

c) I hope I am wrong about all of these things

I started a thread a few weeks ago in the "Someone elses song" section and I was immediately attacked for "Street teaming" my music, which is a term that I really don't understand. I can assure you, that is not my intention here.

I would love to be a productive member of your forum community and I hope that I am among peers here who appreciate listening to and creating meaningful music. I hope that along way, some of you guys will take the time to listen to some of the music that I have created, offer some suggestions, insight and general observations. I love to write detailed album reviews and I am pretty damn good at it.

IF you have an album that you created, I would love to hear it. If it is something I like, I will buy it for sure since I am constantly looking for new and interesting music. If you have music that would like to have reviewed, please let me hear and I will do my best to give you an accurate assessment of what I think of it.

Thanks for your time!

The basics: Im just about 33 years old from the Chicago area, been playing guitar for 20 years and writing songs for about 15. I have been carefully following Wilco's every move since Being There came out. The highlight so far: an acoustic Tweedy set in Kalamazoo MI in 2008 that was really intimate and incredible.

someone come on and say hello and introduce yourself to me! I know there are some people here that I can consider my "peers"! Dont make me sound desperate here!

Howdy!

I'm a 39 year old musician from the Chicago area, who saw Wilco's first-ever Chicago show (maybe their first-ever show, period?) -- at the Lounge Ax in 1994 or 1995.

Also saw Uncle Tupelo before they even released No Depression. So yeah, I've been a fan for a while, too.

Oh, and I also take some occasional heat for street teaming my own band. So, I guess that makes me something of a hypocrite. Sorry about that.

Anyway, welcome to the board. Looking forward to hearing more from you.

And... where in Chicago are you from?

I think that all the musicians on this board tend to shamelessly self promote. Especially right when we finish a record.

I think that we all just want to be heard.

I think that all the musicians on this board tend to shamelessly self promote. Especially right when we finish a record.

Speaking of "right when we finish a record", I received my new cds today! Those folks are discmakers are incredible!

I was just blown away with how nice they came out looking and sounding. If any of you guys have albums for sale, please let me know where to find them. Mine can be found here http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/BrownRecluse1 as a digital download..I sent a shipment of cds to cdbaby today, so hopefully soon, you can order the real disc.

I live in NW indiana in the town where the Indiana Dunes State park is. I know all you guys from Chicago know where the Dunes park is, because every single weekend in the summer, the entire parking lot is full of Illinois plates!

I got the disc and listened to it today.

It's a helluva accomplishment!

The songs are excellent and there is a great feel on there of some CSN/Grateful Dead/Wilco/Son Volt/Jayhawks, etc... Basically, yeah a solid Americana thing happening. I like the tunes and there is also some excellent guitar playing.

How did you meet your collaborator?

Oh, and also, on my record, I had some folks from far away record their bits without ever seeing them face-to-face. The internet is a beautiful thing, like that.

Thanks a lot Todd for the kind words!

My collaborator is my cousin Rick who lives in Western CO. I sent you a private message that explains how this project came to fruition.

I have been really enjoying Chicken on a Bicycle as well and I will be writing a full review of it for you soon.

Is there anyone else out there that would like to trade a cd with me? It has been a great experience so far, trading with Todd and hearing some cool new music that I would have other wise never heard.

I got the disc and listened to it today.

It's a helluva accomplishment!

The songs are excellent and there is a great feel on there of some CSN/Grateful Dead/Wilco/Son Volt/Jayhawks, etc... Basically, yeah a solid Americana thing happening. I like the tunes and there is also some excellent guitar playing.

How did you meet your collaborator?

Oh, and also, on my record, I had some folks from far away record their bits without ever seeing them face-to-face. The internet is a beautiful thing, like that.

This is just a vote for sticking around here. :thumbup

I have a band, but all we have available right now is a crappy demo we recorded six weeks after getting together (it's been a year now). We're saving up money to go into the studio this fall and do a more full-range demo / album.

BTW, my favorite track of yours is "Monsoon Season." The rest of it is potentially "grower" material for me, but a bit slow for my tastes. I think at your best points here it's reminiscent of Jay Farrar, which is a good thing. I can see any of these songs fitting well on a soundtrack or something though, good stuff and good luck.

fwiw my shitty demo is here: My link

Cool thanks! I am glad you like Monsoon Season; that song is very important to me for a number of reasons. I know the album is very mellow but it is a tribute album to a family member who passed away. Thanks for taking the time to listen to the tracks!

Cool thanks! I am glad you like Monsoon Season; that song is very important to me for a number of reasons. I know the album is very mellow but it is a tribute album to a family member who passed away. Thanks for taking the time to listen to the tracks!

welcome sir...shake the haters, street team away...

in regards to members' albums on this board, please see me sig

j

• 2 weeks later...

I'm Cam. a 20 year old musician from Portland, Maine. I've been following Wilco for about 3ish years now. Jeff Tweedy has slowly made his way to be my top influence.

I play drums mostly in bands, one is an indie pop band, we are releasing a record come the end of this month- early next month independently here in the states, and on Moor Works in Japan. Another group I'm in is based on blues and pop songwriting stuff, and more modern groups like Dinosaur Jr. and Smoking Popes. We're recording an EP in August and we'll release it independently when its done.

I also write stuff on my own.

myspace.com/musiccamjones

I have a few EPs you can download for FREE. I'm also working on a full length due out in the fall.

nice to meet ya!

Dan, here is my review:

Brown Recluse - A New Paradigm

This is a downer of a record. But not in a bad way. There are shades of both Jeff Tweedy's and Jay Farrar's quieter, more pensive moments on here. But it doesn't sound like an Uncle Tupelo record, rather it sounds like a record that the two of them made together, after they had moved on to Wilco and Son Volt, respectively. Some really excellent songwriting and good hooks. A good command of dynamics and jagged guitar lines punctuate the downer melodies and themes to draw the listener in. Kinda like those two guys that I mentioned earlier. A helluva accomplishment for a project made by two guys half a continent away from each other.

I like this record, Dan.

welcome sir...shake the haters, street team away...(bolding mine - kidsmoke)

in regards to members' albums on this board, please see me sig

j

Allow me to extend your spidery self an administrative welcome, brownrecluse! I hope you enjoy the many attractions of our little community, and I hope you musically-gifted types will give thought to taking part in one of our Wilco or Tweedy Tributes. (Details to be found in the Tributes Forum.)

Make yourself comfortable here, but please, a caution regarding "street-teaming" and self-promotion. Keep it to a bare minimum, and respect our rules on the subject: (I've quoted only the pertinent rules - for our complete Rules and Regulations, go here: http://forums.viachicago.org/topic/38190-via-chicago-rules-and-regulations/ )

From the Via Chicago Rules and Regulations:

Regarding Forum Etiquette

It is our intention at Via Chicago to foster an online community that is welcoming, all-ages friendly, and enjoyable for all our membership. Toward that end, we expect all posts, including signature lines, to be civil and respectful. The following will not be tolerated:

Spam and personal advertisements, including "street-teaming". Via Chicago is not your free advertising space.

We've had to institute this rule because otherwise we find that people join purely to use our forums to advertise their product. You can see how that would be a problem. There's no harm in mentioning your music, but please limit it to basic information and suggest that if people want more information, such as how/where to purchase your disc, they can contact you directly. Don't put this in a forum post. This works best for our entire membership. :thumbup

A bit of "street-teaming" history for anyone unfamiliar with the term:

Street Teamers

The position of street team representative was often filled by fans of an artist or young people looking for an introductory position in the music industry. In many cases, an influential teen referred to as a neighborhood "tastemaker" was sought out or pinpointed by a record label to be used as a conduit to their respective neighborhood, due to their stronger influence over other teens that looked to them for "what's hot" or "what's the next hot thing". The tastemaker was directed to create a team on the streets to make an unsigned music artist more popular through word-of-mouth and hype.

The concept for organized promotion teams in the music business can also be traced back to January 1975, when Starkey and Evans, two teenage KISS fans from Terre Haute, Indiana created the KISS ARMY as a group of fans determined to promote the KISS name. Although this could be more attributed to fan clubs, fans worked together outside of their homes, to promote KISS to other kids at school or while hanging out. This KISS army was quickly taken over by the band KISS itself and army recruits were offered limited edition merchandise and seating.

Usually unpaid, street teams for bands and artists are still often composed of teenagers who are rewarded with free band merchandise or show access in exchange for a variety of actions:

placing stickers and posters in their communities

bringing friends to the shows

convincing friends to buy band merchandise

phoning your local radio station to request their songs be played

bringing vinyl and CDs to local DJs in the clubs where they work

posting to band forums and bulletin boards online (bolding mine - kidsmoke)

maintaining zines or websites dedicated to the band

When people are too over-the-top and street-teamy-enthusiastic about a band, it tends to turn off & irritate other forum members, resulting in complaints for the moderators to field. So, please just don't street-team. Thanks in advance for understanding our position on this.

brownrecluse, good luck with your music. I'll have to give it a listen. :)

Apologies...i think i actually misinterpreted what the OP meant (I assumed his street teaming was being done elsewhere)...and was trying to encourage him in general...

In respect to the site rules, I dont personally think this is the proper forum to self promote, unless it happens to come up in conversation. Promotion is quite prevalent on VC, a few nameless members being especially vocal...but most folks here seem to be cool with it...

Promotion is quite prevalent on VC, PopTodd being especially vocal...but most folks here seem to be cool with it...

:rock

Thanks a million Todd for writing the review! I really do appreciate it.

Now where can I find a gang of teenagers to promote my music to all their uncool friends?

Not sure. But if you find one, could you share?

• 4 weeks later...

Speaking of "right when we finish a record", I received my new cds today! Those folks are discmakers are incredible!

I was just blown away with how nice they came out looking and sounding. If any of you guys have albums for sale, please let me know where to find them. Mine can be found here http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/BrownRecluse1 as a digital download..I sent a shipment of cds to cdbaby today, so hopefully soon, you can order the real disc.

I live in NW indiana in the town where the Indiana Dunes State park is. I know all you guys from Chicago know where the Dunes park is, because every single weekend in the summer, the entire parking lot is full of Illinois plates!

Nice work

Sounds great

An amazing feel, especially considering the two of you weren't even in the same room when you recorded it.

Keep at it.

• 2 weeks later...

yup.

http://johnnels.bandcamp.com/album/night-day