Summerteeth Vinyl

I'm really on the fence about this one, it's the only one i need,getting the digital dl and the bonus disc is almost enough, but i really like to own the lp, were all the lp's skipping? i've seen some complaints here and there. :hmm

I'm really on the fence about this one, it's the only one i need,getting the digital dl and the bonus disc is almost enough, but i really like to own the lp, were all the lp's skipping? i've seen some complaints here and there. :hmm

The difference in quality over the CD is significant. You don't need great headphones to hear it. Room speakers will do.

I agree with Sarah, if you enjoy vinyl, then get it. Surely not all skip, turn tables matter to the skipping, I guess the pressing too... Just enjoy it either way... if Summerteeth is the only one you need then you must get it to make a complete set of vinyl, I'm a ways off from having all on vinyl, but I will some day :)

get it. don't think, just get it.

mine didn't skip.... however my copy of A.M. does on "Too Far Apart" hoping it will fix after a few more listens

I will get it, thanks for your input :yes

I agree with Sarah, if you enjoy vinyl, then get it. Surely not all skip, turn tables matter to the skipping, I guess the pressing too... Just enjoy it either way... if Summerteeth is the only one you need then you must get it to make a complete set of vinyl, I'm a ways off from having all on vinyl, but I will some day :)

Thanks for your input as well :)

I bought this on Record Store Day and it skipped about ten times before making it through a verse of Can't Stand It. I chalked it up to me needing a new needle (which I haven't gone out and got)...hadn't read about the skipping issues. Wilco75, did you read about that on VC?

Yeah when it came out some people had skipping issues.

If you set up your turntable correctly with the correct tracking weight, it shouldn't skip. I played a copy through, all four sides, and I didn't get any skipping. The packaging and the vinyl are amazing, and it really does the album justice. Just buy it!!

I bought this on Record Store Day and it skipped about ten times before making it through a verse of Can't Stand It. I chalked it up to me needing a new needle (which I haven't gone out and got)...hadn't read about the skipping issues. Wilco75, did you read about that on VC?

i thought i read some of that here, and using google and seen some were saying it,and i think amazon.com i didn't know who to beleive lol

Yeah when it came out some people had skipping issues.

If you set up your turntable correctly with the correct tracking weight, it shouldn't skip. I played a copy through, all four sides, and I didn't get any skipping. The packaging and the vinyl are amazing, and it really does the album justice. Just buy it!!

I took the chance and ordered it,i can't get enough of that album,it never gets old.

they're sure expensive down here - i saw AM and Summerteeth going for $60 each in a record shop

What am I missing here?? summerteeth is for sale (on sale) for just over $17 American on wilcoworld. Why would anyone pay $60?? Don't we now live in a global economy?

Well even the vinyl record sales must be in a bit of a slump. I am sorry I bought copies of all these things a few months ago. If I had waited I could get 13% off the whole deal. (I am missing an album or two so I guess the time is now....) Even kicking Television which everyone was paniced about around record store day is only $60. I guess there just aren't THAT many Wilco fans clamouring for this "limited edition" box set. No one need buy these things as an investment. Just buy them and play them.

LouieB

I just bought ST on vinyl and I had serious skipping on Cant Stand It.

Sounds great, tho ...

You won't believe this, but i played my copy which i received yesterday,and there was a tiny skip,of course during can't stand it, but now playing it at least four times the skip is gone,don't,know what happened but glad the vinyl is okay now. so glad i finally picked this one up.nice packaging by the way.

New records can have very small invisible to the eye obstructions that can cause skips. You may have to slightly increase tracking weight on some new albums if they skip some.

Most skipping problems are do to improper setup.

very small amounts of dust on your needle can cause sticking as well.

Many people mistake problems with their setup with problems with their records.

I have around 300 new vinyl albums, and NONE of them skip. A few of them, including my copy of summerteeth had a skip or two that increased weight fixed. My system is more accurately setup now, and I havent had any skipping issues.

A lot of people are saying to adjust the weight on the tone arm, but I just want to point out that it wears records down faster and your stylus as well if you have the weight too heavy. Most of the skipping problems were on the first track, but just fyi if your records are skipping it could be the anti-skating settings on your turntable.

I didn't have skipping problems but my copy of ST is warped. It doesn't affect the sound but its not a very good pressing, in my opinion.

• 2 years later...

I received Summerteeth on vinyl for my birthday last month and I'm just breaking in a brand new record needle listening to it for the first time. It sounds so, so, so, so good. Now, I'm off to request Pieholden Suite for the Hollywood Bowl about a thousand times before Sunday...

Listening to Via Chicago right now... the sound is so great on vinyl.

EDIT: I can't express how much my appreciation for this album has grown since hearing it on vinyl. It's like a whole different world.

I received Summerteeth on vinyl for my birthday last month and I'm just breaking in a brand new record needle listening to it for the first time. It sounds so, so, so, so good. Now, I'm off to request Pieholden Suite for the Hollywood Bowl about a thousand times before Sunday...

Listening to Via Chicago right now... the sound is so great on vinyl.

EDIT: I can't express how much my appreciation for this album has grown since hearing it on vinyl. It's like a whole different world.

When I'm in the mood for Wilco vinyl, Summerteeth is usually my go-to record.

Just on the skipping thing, even new records can be "dirty". Careless handling in the plant and crap gets in the grooves. Skipping can often be eliminated by cleaning. Wilco75's experience above is probably a case of the grooves being "cleaned" by the stylus.

Now, if you want to get on the topic of cleaning vinyl, that's probably a whole other thread. Many many different opinions on the best approach.

My Summerteeth doesn't skip.

• 10 months later...

Just arrived today, all the way from Japan: An original 1999 Reprise pressing of Summerteeth. I can't wait to spin this thing tonight.

So did yours skip?  Hope not!

Summerteeth is the one studio recording I've never gotten tired of... I've had ELT in my head for about 3 days now!  Still love it after all these years.  :love