• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Me and my younger brother were chatting last week and he reminded me that he slept over night at Rosemont during the winter of 1986 for tickets to see Rush. Maybe the Power Windows tour? I cant recall. Anyways, the cops there orchestrated an orderly way to keep the line "fair" and my brother somehow ended up first in line and bought front row tickets for him, me and our buddies. I checked my stub and sure enough, there it was, front row. I had totally forgotten that I saw Rush that close up. Ok, carry on....

:lol

I have never been, but I have heard the stories about Rush shows...there must be a few young women with that 'deer in the headlights' look when they realize they are in a building with 16,000 men and only 5 other girls.

I threw an email to my wife who saw them in 92  (Sara is my wife's childhood friend and Steeleville is a one horse town in So. IL): 

I didn't feel that way. I saw Rush with Sara  and a group of three guys from Steeleville who were turned on to Rush by one of the guys older sisters.

I know my own older sister saw them a few times in the late 70s and early 80s too  --- she was the one who turned me onto them.

I have never been, but I have heard the stories about Rush shows...there must be a few young women with that 'deer in the headlights' look when they realize they are in a building with 16,000 men and only 5 other girls.

Oddly enough - all of the main staff who put on RushCon are women. 

I've seen them 2x once at the end if the Farewell to Kings tour, last show at Alpine Valley and then in 83 or 84 at Las Cruces NM. Fiest show was a blast. The band was energized and seemed to have a lot of fun. The second time kind of sucked. They were not the same band or even a close approximation of the same band, so I lost interest then. 30 years later I'm just starting to listen to them again, but not too much.

In s fairness though my Musical interests changed quite a bit between the age of 17 when I first saw them and 22 or 23 the second time.

i saw one of the first Van Der Graaf Generator shows in the US a few years ago, and before they started, Pete Hammill looked out into audience and said "there aren't any women here tonight, are there?"

I talked a couple friends (a man and a woman) into going to see Dungen a few years ago.  After the show, the female friend said she really enjoyed it, and that they reminded her of Van Der Graff Generator.  So, Van Der Graff Generator has at least one female fan.

• 3 weeks later...

Setlist:

Set 1

Intro video - The World is ... The World is

Clockwork Angels
The Anarchist
Headlong Flight (with mini drum solo)
Far Cry
Main Monkey Business
One Little Victory
Animate
Roll the Bones
Distant Early Warning
Subdivisions

Intermission

Set 2

Intro video - No Country for Old Hens

Tom Sawyer
Red Barchetta
The Spirit of Radio
Jacob's Ladder
Cygnus X-1 Book Two: Hemispheres - Prelude
Cygnus X-1 Book One - The Voyage: Part 1
drum solo
Cygnus X-1 Book One - The Voyage: Part 3
Closer to the Heart
Xanadu
2112 Overture/Temples of Syrinx/Presentation/Grand Finale

Encore

Intro Video: Mel's Rockpile starring Eugene Levy

Lakeside Park
Anthem
What You're Doing
Working Man (Garden Road riff at the end)

Outro Video: Exit Stage Left

Setlist:

Holy shit that setlist from Hemispheres to the end looks like Heaven on Earth, doesn't it?

It looks like they are changing some songs from night to night. 

Red Barchetta for The Camera Eye

Early Warning for Between the Wheels

One Little Victory for How It Is

The Anarchist instead of Clockwork Angels, then The Wreckers