• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

geddy sounds pretty good. so how was the show? not sure i like the slowing down of CTTH for the last verse.

I liked where they were going with the ending (even though they didn't really get there), but overall that was an unsatisfying arrangement of that tune.

I liked where they were going with the ending (even though they didn't really get there), but overall that was an unsatisfying arrangement of that tune.

yeah, i'm thinking about going to the show at verizon up in alpharetta, but not too sure. they are doing some goofy long version of la villa and it's quite a trip up there from decatur. i'm torn between the crowes, drive by truckers and rush for the next concert. concerts just aren't as amazing to me in my old(er) age and going to some huge show on the lawn might be a real hassle. :hmm

Yes - I think it the second half that is cut.

They are also doing a reggae version of Working Man. I have to say that is one of those songs I don't care to hear, really.

i heard the la villa from the rush in rio and they do all this goofy comedy stuff which i don't care for. a reggae version of working man doesn't sound too appealing. i think i'll wait on tix and see if the mood hits me as the show gets closer. it's at a big venue and probably wont sell out until the night of the show. i would like to hear camera eye live though :-)

• 2 weeks later...

I only saw them once when they had an opener. It was Mr. Big, and it was the now legendary show where their guitarist, Paul Gilbert got his hair caught in a power drill he was using for rapid fire guitar pyrotechnics ( :rock :omg ) and had to leave the stage.

http://www.truthinshredding.com/2009/08/paul-gilbert-drills-can-be-dangerous.html

Yeah, either Presto or Roll the Bones tour. Probably Presto. I was far enough back that I didn't see the drill get stuck, but I did see him leave the stage, followed immediately by a bass solo. That seemed entirely normal. It wasn't until some time later, when a friend who had really good seats told me about the drill incident, and it wasn't until fairly recently that I confirmed it on the internet.

i know the incident you speak of -- it was at the Omni in Atlanta, GA in '90.

[from the Digital Rush Experience review of 'Target Mass Appeal PE']

"...was quite a night for on-stage buffoonery. During Mr. Big's set, Paul Gilbert (lead guitar) did an extremely cheesy bit with a portable electric drill and his axe. At one point, he threw up the hand that was holding the drill dramatically... and the drill promptly got wrapped up in his hair. He stood up on the stage trying wildly to extract himself, then had to run off-stage and get a roadie to chop the drill out of his hair. Strange show."

nice to see so many people appreciating Rush, i got crucified a few years back here by some preening dildo for even bringing them up.

i don't worship every thing the band has ever done; in fact, they lost me for a while after RTB but i regained the love last tour.

caught two shows this time around (Shoreline then a legendary HST style road trip for the Irvine show that friday).

i could have lived without the 'i love you man' jagoffs end bit (in lieu of a 3rd encore) and the polka intro to La Villa Strangiato just didn't work (if they're back to finally playing the entire song and not a section of it in some corny medley then bust out that ambient Moog/xylophone bit).. and i'd have gladly traded CTTH, Overture/Temples of Syrinx and TSOR for Jacob's Ladder but they're always going to pander to the 2112/Tom Sawyer crowd.. so i guess they'll sandbag JL til next tour... hey, i'm splitting hairs here... they were soundchecking with Presto all last tour but never went to the well live, so it's kinda cool to hear live debuts of songs like that and Faithless...

still kinda hard to believe they finally brought back their St. Stephen (The Camera Eye).

i know the incident you speak of -- it was at the Omni in Atlanta, GA in '90.

[from the Digital Rush Experience review of 'Target Mass Appeal PE']

"...was quite a night for on-stage buffoonery. During Mr. Big's set, Paul Gilbert (lead guitar) did an extremely cheesy bit with a portable electric drill and his axe. At one point, he threw up the hand that was holding the drill dramatically... and the drill promptly got wrapped up in his hair. He stood up on the stage trying wildly to extract himself, then had to run off-stage and get a roadie to chop the drill out of his hair. Strange show."

nice to see so many people appreciating Rush, i got crucified a few years back here by some preening dildo for even bringing them up.

i don't worship every thing the band has ever done; in fact, they lost me for a while after RTB but i regained the love last tour.

caught two shows this time around (Shoreline then a legendary HST style road trip for the Irvine show that friday).

i could have lived without the 'i love you man' jagoffs end bit (in lieu of a 3rd encore) and the polka intro to La Villa Strangiato just didn't work (if they're back to finally playing the entire song and not a section of it in some corny medley then bust out that ambient Moog/xylophone bit).. and i'd have gladly traded CTTH, Overture/Temples of Syrinx and TSOR for Jacob's Ladder but they're always going to pander to the 2112/Tom Sawyer crowd.. so i guess they'll sandbag JL til next tour... hey, i'm splitting hairs here... they were soundchecking with Presto all last tour but never went to the well live, so it's kinda cool to hear live debuts of songs like that and Faithless...

still kinda hard to believe they finally brought back their St. Stephen (The Camera Eye).

hilarious! 'their saint stephen.' they're a great band with some of those classic songs that make me want to pump my fist in the air and just jump up and play air guitar. there was a pretty strong rumor that they were supposed to play jacob's ladder this tour. no luck. i too could do without the goofy movies, medley, and the messing with la villa. oh well. still not sure i'm gonna hit the show in atlanta in a few weeks.

fyi-i'm pretty sure the mr. incident was on the presto tour. saw that tour with mr. big opening.

hilarious! 'their saint stephen.' they're a great band with some of those classic songs that make me want to pump my fist in the air and just jump up and play air guitar. there was a pretty strong rumor that they were supposed to play jacob's ladder this tour. no luck. i too could do without the goofy movies, medley, and the messing with la villa. oh well. still not sure i'm gonna hit the show in atlanta in a few weeks.

fyi-i'm pretty sure the mr. incident was on the presto tour. saw that tour with mr. big opening.

yep, that was 5/1/90 at the Omni (i have a fantastic DAT master of that show, the crowd is on the verge of fainting the entire time they're so into it, but not in a way that's obtrusive to the recording).. Presto was a GREAT tour.

these days their shows are attended predominately by stiffs who sit on their hands the entire time and meatheads.

Jacob's Ladder wasn't just a strong rumor, there's an Alex Lifeson interview where he came out and said they'd be playing it; was kinda miffed that they didn't end up including it this tour and that Alex fully mis-repped, for ticket sale purposes i'm surmising.... my other guess is that they didn't play JL because they needed a centerpiece song for next tour and didn't want to wring the lemon dry.

most fans were likely pleased enough to have caught the The Camera Eye.

as for Analogman's desired setlist additions, hey, you never know, in recent tours they seem to break out a never-before-played-live gem (Entre Nous in 2007; Presto in 2010).

i'm a big fan of Caress of Steel... have strange memories tied to that tape in my Walkman... as a 16-yr old stoner i flew to Calif. with my parents to visit my brother, and only had CoS and Pink Floyd Animals to listen to.. oh, i took a micro-dot just before boarding, like that was some swell idea -- sure, who doesn't fly, w/ their parents, tripping on mescaline?

I think Alex has also spoke of doing a show where they play lesser known songs, or songs that never really got played. But I think that is really unrealistic, unless their is enough die hard Rush fanatics that would show up to make it worth their while.

I think when I saw them a while back the crowd definitely consisted of people who were very familiar with the band, and knew what was going on.

As far as I could tell, people seemed to be really into the show.

I am not really familiar with their albums past Moving Pictures, so a lot of the songs they played were new to me.

yep, that was 5/1/90 at the Omni (i have a fantastic DAT master of that show, the crowd is on the verge of fainting the entire time they're so into it, but not in a way that's obtrusive to the recording).. Presto was a GREAT tour.

these days their shows are attended predominately by stiffs who sit on their hands the entire time and meatheads.

Jacob's Ladder wasn't just a strong rumor, there's an Alex Lifeson interview where he came out and said they'd be playing it; was kinda miffed that they didn't end up including it this tour and that Alex fully mis-repped, for ticket sale purposes i'm surmising.... my other guess is that they didn't play JL because they needed a centerpiece song for next tour and didn't want to wring the lemon dry.

as for Analogman's desired setlist additions, hey, you never know, in recent tours they seem to break out a never-before-played-live gem (Entre Nous in 2007; Presto in 2010).

i'm a big fan of Caress of Steel... have strange memories tied to that tape in my Walkman... as a 16-yr old stoner i flew to Calif. with my parents to visit my brother, and only had CoS and Pink Floyd Animals to listen to.. oh, i took a micro-dot just before boarding, like that was some swell idea -- sure, who doesn't fly, w/ their parents, tripping on mescaline?

enjoying your posts buddy. so, do you like the Presto album? how about the most recent stuff?

i'd forgotten that alex spilled the beans about jacobs ladder. i think there was talk of them doing perm waves before the idea to do moving pictures was decided upon. that may have been where the jl comment came from.

these guys are pretty nice about throwing a bone to big fans. they always seem to play some random tune from the 80s as well as recent bust outs like entre nous. they also gotta keep the classic rock crowd happy with tom sawyer etc:)

When I first read this I thought you were wrong about the "centerpiece song" thing, but the more I think about it, the more sense it makes (although I disagree with you about them using Jacob's Ladder as part of a ticket sales ploy). There aren't any other rarely played songs that come to mind that could serve the "cenetrpiece" role, except for maybe Hemispheres or some of the Caress material, and they've never seemed too keen on playing that material.

They could continue pulling the full album gimmick if they're looking for carrots to dangle in front of their fans. I'd be more likely to go see aFly By Night themed show than Moving Pictures themed show. I would definitely go to a Caress of Steel show since I've never seen them do any of those songs (aside from the intro to Bastille Day during the R30 tour).

When I first read this I thought you were wrong about the "centerpiece song" thing, but the more I think about it, the more sense it makes (although I disagree with you about them using Jacob's Ladder as part of a ticket sales ploy). There aren't any other rarely played songs that come to mind that could serve the "cenetrpiece" role, except for maybe Hemispheres or some of the Caress material, and they've never seemed too keen on playing that material.

They could continue pulling the full album gimmick if they're looking for carrots to dangle in front of their fans. I'd be more likely to go see aFly By Night themed show than Moving Pictures themed show. I would definitely go to a Caress of Steel show since I've never seen them do any of those songs (aside from the intro to Bastille Day during the R30 tour).

who'd have thought one would find such refreshing Rush discourse on a Wilco forum, i love it.

i can't and won't go near any Rush forums -- the first thing that jumped out at me during my only recent perusal of the Counterparts board was some dickhole posting up "NEIL PEART KILLED IN MOTORCYCLE ACCIDENT!!"

thing is, i'm really embarrassed for most Rush fans and in some circles don't openly proclaim fondness for the band... who wants to be lumped in with that lot of troglodytes? on the way down to Irvine, a female acquaintance said, 'wow, you might be the 1 in 10 guys at this show who get laid tonight' and i was like, "riiight, more like 1/150"... she's a good egg, i kind of turned her on to Rush; thought she was one of these women who only liked a bunch of bands i never heard of then she brought me by her office one time and there it was -- a framed picture of the Grateful Dead, on the floor/corner of her office!

sandbagger...

i'm digressing.

enjoying your posts buddy. so, do you like the Presto album? how about the most recent stuff?

i'd forgotten that alex spilled the beans about jacobs ladder. i think there was talk of them doing perm waves before the idea to do moving pictures was decided upon. that may have been where the jl comment came from.

these guys are pretty nice about throwing a bone to big fans. they always seem to play some random tune from the 80s as well as recent bust outs like entre nous. they also gotta keep the classic rock crowd happy with tom sawyer etc:)

thanks dude... the Presto album has some dry spots for sure and i wouldn't consider it 'great' but good, and a most excellent tour.

as for the more recent stuff... i'm mixed; during the S&A tour i liked how they played Secret Touch and One Little Victory from Vapor Trails LP (liked the placement of OLV too, as first encore, kind of a big F-U we already played all the hits) but VT is not a very good album.

and the S&A album, meh... i like a couple tunes from S&A (Workin' Them Angels, 'moving picture' is mentioned in the lyrics so naturally they included it this tour, and i like Faithless) but talk about another big F-U last tour, the way the first FIVE songs of Set 2 were all from S&A was a bit much to digest... during that tour i was ok with the songs but it's not like i've listened to S&A since.. it's just not a very good album.

was NOT a big fan of either of the newest tunes BU2B and Caravan but by the time i got to Irvine they really grew on me...

("no new stuff, play Takin' Care of Business... now get to the 'workin' overtime' part!!!")

who'd have thought one would find such refreshing Rush discourse on a Wilco forum, i love it.

i can't and won't go near any Rush forums -- the first thing that jumped out at me during my only recent perusal of the Counterparts board was some dickhole posting up "NEIL PEART KILLED IN MOTORCYCLE ACCIDENT!!"

thing is, i'm really embarrassed for most Rush fans and in some circles don't openly proclaim fondness for the band... who wants to be lumped in with that lot of troglodytes? on the way down to Irvine, a female acquaintance said, 'wow, you might be the 1 in 10 guys at this show who get laid tonight' and i was like, "riiight, more like 1/150"... she's a good egg, i kind of turned her on to Rush; thought she was one of these women who only liked a bunch of bands i never heard of then she brought me by her office one time and there it was -- a framed picture of the Grateful Dead, on the floor/corner of her office!

sandbagger...

i'm digressing.

thanks dude... the Presto album has some dry spots for sure and i wouldn't consider it 'great' but good, and a most excellent tour.

as for the more recent stuff... i'm mixed; during the S&A tour i liked how they played Secret Touch and One Little Victory from Vapor Trails LP (liked the placement of OLV too, as first encore, kind of a big F-U we already played all the hits) but VT is not a very good album.

and the S&A album, meh... i like a couple tunes from S&A (Workin' Them Angels, 'moving picture' is mentioned in the lyrics so naturally they included it this tour, and i like Faithless) but talk about another big F-U last tour, the way the first FIVE songs of Set 2 were all from S&A was a bit much to digest... during that tour i was ok with the songs but it's not like i've listened to S&A since.. it's just not a very good album.

was NOT a big fan of either of the newest tunes BU2B and Caravan but by the time i got to Irvine they really grew on me...

("no new stuff, play Takin' Care of Business... now get to the 'workin' overtime' part!!!")

i'm with you. i think they are kind of in a rut. it seems like all minor riffs and melodies. what happened to the uplifting melodies of...well...roll the bones.

I could go for that, except for The Necromancer. I have never cared much for that epic.

you just need mescaline and a red-eye transcontinental flight.

i'm not a complete-ist by any stretch but i try to grab up 1-2 decent boots per tour + shows i've attended; Necromancer is one of those songs they only played for a handful of shows waaaay back in the day; a while back i found a boot that has a full show, Necromancer included, but since it's 1975 i didn't have my hopes up... the sound is surprisingly ok and the boot actually listenable at first until -- there's a shit ton of talkers nearby the taper... at first i was irritated but they end up being a hilarious sidebar... during the Necromancer's dreary serious fade in all you can hear is the one kid chortling, "HAHAHA, LOOK AT HIS NOSE!!"

then two mins later the head douchebag who was making fun of Geddy is telling them all to STFU, total comedy.

i'm with you. i think they are kind of in a rut. it seems like all minor riffs and melodies. what happened to the uplifting melodies of...well...roll the bones.

ironic you bring up RTB as i'm absolutely hooked on the 6/14/92 Charlotte, NC soundboard i just DL'd recently.

i hope Clockwork Angels will be better than S&A, lord willing.

i guess after 35+ years their best songwriting chunks are well behind them.

plus they're fat now (except for Geddy, who's actually kinda fit for a geriatric).

[pic from Irvine 8/13/10]

Irvine7.jpg

I don't need that.

I believe the song has been played a few times since then.

yeah, i should clarify, i meant The Necromancer in its entirety... Geddy said they were all 'really high' when they wrote/recorded Caress of Steel and the three of them were in love with it -- until the ensuing 'down the tubes' tour.

yeah, i should clarify, i meant The Necromancer in its entirety... Geddy said they were all 'really high' when they wrote/recorded Caress of Steel and the three of them were in love with it -- until the ensuing 'down the tubes' tour.

down the tubes tour?