"We called it the 'Down The Tubes Tour', we joked about it among ourselves. By the end of the that year we were unable to pay our crew's salaries - or our own." - Neil Peart, Classic Rock, Oct. 2004

Tour recap

love that site, so many tidbits:

Setlists

The only confirmed setlist is Rush's supporting set for KISS on Nov. 15, 1975; any other published setlists are false or unsubstantiated.

Before 1999, when a recording of the Nov. 15, 1975 show first began circulating, fraudulent recordings of this tour were circulated, which accordingly led to the circulation of false setlists. In addition, for many years rumors spread regarding the setlist of a rumored soundboard recording, supposedly in the possession of a Jean Weinrib, aka Geddy's cousin, of Rush headlining in Toronto on January 10, 1976. However, the existence of this recording is believed to be nonexistant and its setlist unsubstantiated, as Ian Grandy, a former member of Rush's road crew from that period, has stated that he never heard of any such cousin, and that the rumored soundboard recording does not exist.

November 15, 1975 (supporting set [note, no authentic headlining setlists have surfaced])

Bastille Day

Anthem

Lakeside Park

The Necromancer

By-Tor and the Snow Dog

Working Man->

Drum Solo

In The Mood

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"We called it the 'Down The Tubes Tour', we joked about it among ourselves. By the end of the that year we were unable to pay our crew's salaries - or our own." - Neil Peart, Classic Rock, Oct. 2004

Tour recap

love that site, so many tidbits:

thanks for the info. i've heard times were tough between steel and 2112. didn't really know the whole story though.

btw-i need to check out some 92 shows. i like to hear deep cuts from not so famous albums live.

thanks for the info. i've heard times were tough between steel and 2112. didn't really know the whole story though.

btw-i need to check out some 92 shows. i like to hear deep cuts from not so famous albums live.

just looked at that setlist. Where's My Thing would be cool to hear live. incidently, i guess there was talk in the band of doing an instrumental album of the previous instrumentals and maybe some new ones. the might be interesting.

btw-my main issue with the last several albums is neal's drums. just buried in the mix and the snare sounds like a piece of tin foil. now if the snare sounded like glenn kotche's....omg!

Neil just posted a new update on his News, Weather, and Sports site:

Cruel Summer

seems like a hell of a tour. glad he was enjoying the playing. can you imagine stopping on the highway only to find rush standing around as the tires were fixed.

As you probably know, he is not really into people bothering him. That is one of reasons that guy rides with him I think.

There is a photo on his site somewhere from the last tour that shows him standing outside a gas station in the town where I grew up.

were you at the Omni in '92, when the stars aligned (see signature)?

Grateful Dead was 3/3/92, Rush 3/4/92.

i think i was in FL at the time and theoretically could have made it but i blew it.

in my defense though, post-Brent Dead was [for me]... not so good.

i can hook up you or anybody else who'd like copies of some good SBDs... i'm not the guy with a trillion boots but what i do have is "top notch, top notch!"

s_3bb6b8805063fecf8527f11c2643013e.jpg

Thought I'd jump in here and ask for some guidance on Rush. I have three of their records and am looking to pick up some more. I have 'Roll the Bones', 'Permanent Waves' and 'Moving Pictures', all of which I love. Where do I go next?

Cheers.

i'm with you. i think they are kind of in a rut. it seems like all minor riffs and melodies. what happened to the uplifting melodies of...well...roll the bones.

Or the bouncy rhythms of New World Man?

Rush's newer music is almost never fun sounding. That's a shame.

Thought I'd jump in here and ask for some guidance on Rush. I have three of their records and am looking to pick up some more. I have 'Roll the Bones', 'Permanent Waves' and 'Moving Pictures', all of which I love. Where do I go next?

Cheers.

A Farewell to Kings

Hemispheres

were you at the Omni in '92, when the stars aligned (see signature)?

Grateful Dead was 3/3/92, Rush 3/4/92.

i think i was in FL at the time and theoretically could have made it but i blew it.

in my defense though, post-Brent Dead was [for me]... not so good.

wasn't there. cool story though:)

Or the bouncy rhythms of New World Man?

Rush's newer music is almost never fun sounding. That's a shame.

totally.

Cheers.

i second what jff said above. for me personally, i love everything from fly by night (2nd album) to grace under pressure. early albums have more of a hard rock bent where as the latter 70s and early 80s have a cleaner prog sound. just my 2 cents.

that being said, Hemispheres is my favorite rush album. one long, compelling epic, 2 tight rockers, and a nice instrumental.

Was that the tour Primus opened? I missed that, but I might have been at that Dead show.

yes, what a double bill THAT must have been...

i second what jff said above. for me personally, i love everything from fly by night (2nd album) to grace under pressure. early albums have more of a hard rock bent where as the latter 70s and early 80s have a cleaner prog sound. just my 2 cents.

that being said, Hemispheres is my favorite rush album. one long, compelling epic, 2 tight rockers, and a nice instrumental.

live Rush is where it's at (i mainly fiend on their bootlegs these days).

i hate to say this because i love them but (and a few people i know will disagree) don't go near any albums after Roll The Bones.

a good starting point, like what VH said -- Fly By Night thru GuP but i'll amend that an LP further and include Power Windows; that spans 11 years or so. Hold Your Fire ('87-88) is a bit of a fall off and marked the end of electronica Rush (which i actually like a lot of)... but hell, the eponymous debut is a good starting point too, Finding My Way? that might be one of my favorite songs of all time, by anybody.

FBN, Caress of Steel & 2112 are one 'era' of sorts; A Farewell To Kings with the Cygnus X1 continuation to Hemispheres is the next; Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures is an ambitious time (and widely considered the band's peak) with the final cut on MP, Vital Signs, a foreshadowing to the 'new'[at that time] Rush sound. Signals, a phenomenal album, i'd put it in my top 3 or 4... they went full-blown electronic with Grace Under Pressure, Power Windows and Hold Your Fire -- the synth-saturated albums that alienated most hardline 70s rocker types but it's the era i grew up on and still love.

Presto ('89) is a strange album, produced by Ruppert Hine (The Fixx) but i think it has two of my favorite Rush songs of all-time, Show Don't Tell (which was sorta the 'back to riff rock' Rush track) and Superconductor (friend of mine who is a Rush stalker and has literally seen them over 100 times ended up in that video).

Roll The Bones was an LP i didn't care for much when it came out but lately i am FIENDING on a bootleg from that tour. Counterparts and Test For Echo followed, but i didn't much care for those albums and still don't to this day -- in fact, i'd mark this era as the time i stopped subscribing (didn't catch a tour again from Presto until S&A first leg, 17 years!). Neil's wife and daughter tragically died after the T4E tour and they didn't do anything for 7 years until Vapor Trails, which was a bland effort but spelled the triumphant return of Peart.. as mentioned previously, i think S&A is meh.

so basically, '74-'75 thru '92 and you can't go wrong. : )

as somebody poignantly added earlier on, bouncy songs like New World Man are a thing of the past for whatever reasons...

sorry so long-winded : (

this is dated, not sure if this has already been posted up in this thread:

CONGRESS DEBATES COOLNESS OF RUSH

August 9, 2000 | ISSUE 36•27

WASHINGTON, DC–Continuing its long-running debate on the subject Monday, members of Congress argued the merits of Canadian power trio Rush. "'The philosopher and the plowman, each must play his part'?" asked House Majority Leader Dick Armey (R-TX). "C'mon. Neil Peart must be the most pretentious lyricist in arena-rock history. Gentlemen, forget these bloated, overrated '70s dinosaurs."

Countered longtime Rush loyalist Rep. Peter DeFazio (D-OR): "Keep talking, man, the tunes say it all: 'Passage To Bangkok'? 'By-Tor And The Snow Dog'? That part in 'Red Barchetta' where [Rush bassist/vocalist] Geddy [Lee] sings about the gleaming alloy aircar shooting toward him two lanes wide? Look me in the eye and tell me that doesn't rock, motherfucker!" The deliberations are expected to continue throughout the week.

yes, what a double bill THAT must have been...

I regret missing that one. Back then I was in a period in which I was in denail about my Rush fandom (I must've been hanging out with cool people, or something :punch ), and was more of a Primus fan. My brother was there. He wasn't familiar with them at the time, and when I asked him about the show his only comment about Primus was "way too much bass."

this is dated, not sure if this has already been posted up in this thread:

CONGRESS DEBATES COOLNESS OF RUSH

August 9, 2000 | ISSUE 36•27

WASHINGTON, DC–Continuing its long-running debate on the subject Monday, members of Congress argued the merits of Canadian power trio Rush. "'The philosopher and the plowman, each must play his part'?" asked House Majority Leader Dick Armey (R-TX). "C'mon. Neil Peart must be the most pretentious lyricist in arena-rock history. Gentlemen, forget these bloated, overrated '70s dinosaurs."

Countered longtime Rush loyalist Rep. Peter DeFazio (D-OR): "Keep talking, man, the tunes say it all: 'Passage To Bangkok'? 'By-Tor And The Snow Dog'? That part in 'Red Barchetta' where [Rush bassist/vocalist] Geddy [Lee] sings about the gleaming alloy aircar shooting toward him two lanes wide? Look me in the eye and tell me that doesn't rock, motherfucker!" The deliberations are expected to continue throughout the week.

I think this is the first Rush thread we have had around here.

What's that song Aimee Mann sings on? That video cracks me up.

I was surprised that Les Claypool was not in the recent documentary more - as I recall, there is only one or two clips of him talking about the band.

Time Stand Still from Hold Your Fire.

i've had several rush stages with the classic albums. my first show was presto. i'm kind of revisiting the classic stuff and will then dive into power windows and hold your fire with more attention. there's got to be some good stuff there. for some reason hold your fire seems to be more memorable to me b/c of the singe and force ten. however, i couldn't hum one tune from power windows.

btw-the first album is great. it's kind of in a category all its own. it's a competent 70s hard rock album as far as i'm concerned. it's funny to me that rush classic rock staples are working man then spirit of radio and tom sawyer.

Rush is a band that, numerous times throughout its history, has name checked various bands they were interested in. Early on, they were into Zeppelin, Yes, etc. Then in the late '70s/early '80s they started mentioning bands in their interviews such as XTC, Talking Heads, The Police, etc.

Unfortunately, in recent years you'll hear them talking about such bands as Our Lady Peace, Vertical Horizon, etc. Pretty uninspiring stuff, which surely has had an impact on their own output.

Rush is a band that, numerous times throughout its history, has name checked various bands they were interested in. Early on, they were into Zeppelin, Yes, etc. Then in the late '70s/early '80s they started mentioning bands in their interviews such as XTC, Talking Heads, The Police, etc.

Unfortunately, in recent years you'll hear them talking about such bands as Our Lady Peace, Vertical Horizon, etc. Pretty uninspiring stuff, which surely has had an impact on their own output.

hilarious! so right though. counterparts sounds like a bland, generic alternative album you'd hear on the old 97x.

Did anyone see the 2112/Moving Pictures Classic Albums documentary on VH1 Classic during RUSH Hashanah last week?

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=145145

I don't get that station, or I'd have watched. The Classic Albums series is excellent. Can't wait for this one to show up on netflix.

that sounds cool. especially 2112.