What albums are flawless to you?

Pink Floyd - Animals

Thank you, I knew I could not be the only one.

And I'm going to add:

Physical Graffiti - Led Zep

#1 Record - Big Star

My Aim is true - Elvis Costello

In it for the money - Supergrass

The Color and the shape - Foo Fighters

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and exile.

I definitely agree with London Calling, and as much as I enjoy Exile, it has 4-5 tunes on it I generally skip. It's been said before but I'll chime in again, it may have worked better as a long single Lp rather than a double Lp by jettisoning a fw tunes.

I'll add Appetite for Destruction, too. Yeah, it's a band that gets panned a lot, but it really is a fantastic album for a Rock band. I never considered them "Metal," per se. It's an album I can listen to all the way through and appreciate all of.

Led Zeppelin III

how could i forget iii?? this is a desert island record for me.

Bon Iver - For Emma, Forever Ago

i really got into this album big time for like six weeks. now when i try to go back, it just ain't the same.

The Color and the shape - Foo Fighters

forgot this one too! i'll go along with it! i really liked the early foos...but then they never really evolved, so i lost interest.

London Calling. Everything about that album is perfect. Greatest record that ever was or will be made.

Finally one i kind of agree with.

Pet Sounds is the greatest flawed album of all time. Sloop John B....puleez....

Highway 61 Revisited....but I suppose someone has said that...

LouieB

I'm also trying to think of a flaw with:

Layla & Other Assorted Love Songs

but I can't think of one, off-hand.

Probably the only Clapton album that I can still listen to, but what a helluva album! I've brought it with me today and will give the final verdict (my final verdict) on whether or not it is actually without flaw.

I could name very few 'flawless' records in my collection. Even my personal favourite album (Lambchop - Nixon) has two weak songs on it. That doesn't stop it from being my favourite though. In terms of flawlessness I would say:

Van Morrison: Veedon Fleece

John Coltrane: Love Supreme

Sparklehorse: Vivadixiesubmarinetransmissionplot

...and that's about it really. I wouldn't change a note of those three records.

But thanks to whoever mentioned Pink Floyd Animals. I haven't listened to that for a long time so I'll be giving it a spin tonight.

But thanks to whoever mentioned Pink Floyd Animals. I haven't listened to that for a long time so I'll be giving it a spin tonight.

:cheers

And I'm going to agree with PopTodd, I think I could put Layla on the list.

Really?

Yep. I just heard it too much and it's just not as visceral to me as Cherub Rock or Hummer.

I wonder what that would sound like ... :lol

hilarious! sorry about the typo. how about beatles doing hotel california:)

another vote for animals. Dogs is a masterpiece!

I'm also trying to think of a flaw with:

Layla & Other Assorted Love Songs

but I can't think of one, off-hand.

Probably the only Clapton album that I can still listen to, but what a helluva album! I've brought it with me today and will give the final verdict (my final verdict) on whether or not it is actually without flaw.

I haven't listened to that in a while, nevertheless it's still my favorite Clapton disc. He never seemed to attain the same ammount of passion and spark in his music after this one. I guess having guys like Duane Allman to play off really inspired him. I'm not sure if I'd consider it flawless, but things don't get much better than "Bell Bottom Blues."

I haven't listened to that in a while, nevertheless it's still my favorite Clapton disc. He never seemed to attain the same ammount of passion and spark in his music after this one. I guess having guys like Duane Allman to play off really inspired him. I'm not sure if I'd consider it flawless, but things don't get much better than "Bell Bottom Blues."

Except maybe "Why Does Love Have to Be So Sad?", "Keep On Growing", "Tell the Truth", or "Anyday".

DAMN! What an album!

no. there are many albums I'd put in my all-time favorites that contain tunes I skip over.

I'll second that. None of my favourite records are flawless. Most of them have 8 great songs and a couple of filler tracks. To use my own post as an example, I think Coltrane's Love Supreme is a flawless record but its not my favourite. Lambchop's 'Nixon' has two average songs on it (the last two) but the first eight tracks compensate for that.

LZ - IV

LZ - Physical Graffiti

Derek and Dominos

Neil Young - Tonight's the Night

Wilco - YHF

Jayhawks - TTGG (maybe not)

CSNY - Deja Vu

Bruce - Born to Run and Darkness

Black Crowes - Southern Harmony

Billy Joel - Stranger

Fleetwood Mac - Rumours

GNR - Appetite

Hendrix - Are You Experienced

Pink Floyd - DSOTM

U2 - Achtung ???

VH - I

Except maybe "Why Does Love Have to Be So Sad?", "Keep On Growing", "Tell the Truth", or "Anyday".

DAMN! What an album!

Okay, so I listened to Layla, and.... it's NOT perfect.

"Have You Ever Loved a Woman" pretty much ruins the perfection. It's a straight-up/cliché 12-bar blues that just goes on too damn long. Without that song, though, it would be perfect.

Okay, so I listened to Layla, and.... it's NOT perfect.

"Have You Ever Loved a Woman" pretty much ruins the perfection. It's a straight-up/cliché 12-bar blues that just goes on too damn long. Without that song, though, it would be perfect.

I agree it's a pretty standard 12 bar blues but I think the feel and vocals fit in nicely with the rest of the album. I always assumed he was singing about Patti Boyd again in that song. I guess for me it works, it's standard blues but he is not phoning it in.

Cheap Trick --- Heaven Tonight. A perfect slice of late 70's power pop with intelligent, funny lyrics; flawless production and spectacular musicianship.

album-heaven-tonight.jpg

I agree it's a pretty standard 12 bar blues but I think the feel and vocals fit in nicely with the rest of the album. I always assumed he was singing about Patti Boyd again in that song. I guess for me it works, it's standard blues but he is not phoning it in.

Oh, there is no way that he is phoning it in; I just don't need to hear another 12- bar about unrequited love. And this one goes on way too long at 6:55. Maybe if it were closer to the 4- or 5-minute mark it wouldn't stop the momentum of the album for me. But... nearly 7 minutes? For well-tread ground like this it's just too long, no matter how passionate the playing and singing.

And, again, that's just me.

The rest of the album is perfect (even... especially the 7-plus minute title track).

Allman... Brothers Fillmore East

Dylan... Blonde on Blonde

Beatles... Revolver

Jackson Browne..... Late For the Sky

Beatles ... Abbey Road

Beatles ... Rubber Soul

Jayhawks ... Rainy Day Music

Wilco....Ashes of American Flags (not an album but I listen to it like its one)

Cheap Trick --- Heaven Tonight. A perfect slice of late 70's power pop with intelligent, funny lyrics; flawless production and spectacular musicianship.

album-heaven-tonight.jpg

Great choice. "In Color" comes pretty darn close too.

I don't think Wilco's done a flawless album yet. Being There and YHF are close. AGIB is perhaps the closest and yet about 11 minutes away from flawless...

Summerteeth?

LouieB