What albums are flawless to you?

I would submit Lily, Rosemary, and the Jack of Hearts as the biggest flaw on an otherwise flawless album, in fact I think that might be the worst song on a truly great album.

My submissions:

Beatles: Rubber Soul

My Bloody Valentine: Loveless

Van Morrison: Astral Weeks

Neutral Milk Hotel: In The Aeroplane Over The Sea

Crosby, Stills and Nash: Self-Titled

The Rolling Stones: Beggars Banquet.

--Mike

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My flawless list:

The Cure - Distentegration

My Bloody Valentine - Loveless (took me a very long time to get into this album, but once you get IN you can't get out)

Broken Social Scene - You Forgot It in People

Radiohead - The Bends

Bon Iver - For Emma, Forever Ago

Guns N Roses - Appetite for Destruction

My flawless list:

Radiohead - The Bends

I completely agree with this one.

Jonny Greenwood's guitar work on this one is INSANE.

Stone Roses - S/T

XTC - Skylarking

REM - Murmur

Pixies - Surfer Rosa

Also, I wouldn't change a note on Abbey Road. Same with Aja.

Lots of albums come close but there's usually the one song that I end up skipping ("Card Cheat" on London Calling, "Live with Me" on Let it Bleed, "Jigsaw Puzzle" on Beggars Banquet)

john coltrane - a love supreme

neko case - blacklisted, furnace room lullaby, fox confessor, middle cyclone

broken social scene - you forgot it in people

bob dylan - freewheelin', blonde on blonde, blood on the tracks, highway 61, bringing it all back home

spoon - tranference

my morning jacket - at dawn, z

wilco - being there, yankee hotel foxtrot

miles davis - kind of blue

charles mingus - the black saint and the sinner lady

bright eyes - i'm wide awake it's morning

the beatles - revolver

pearl jam - vs

sonic youth - daydream nation

nas - illmatic

janelle monae - the archandroid

Given the harrowing stuff surrounding it on all sides, I praise the Lord above for Rosemary, Lily & the Jack of Hearts every time it rambles up on Blood On The Tracks. It's a welcome oasis, and maybe his best story song.

Given the harrowing stuff surrounding it on all sides, I praise the Lord above for Rosemary, Lily & the Jack of Hearts every time it rambles up on Blood On The Tracks. It's a welcome oasis, and maybe his best story song.

This is a tough one for me. Blood on the Tracks is probably my favorite album of all time and I totally agree with Sir Stewart's sentiment above. It's a nice respite and I think it is a great vocal performance (for Dylan). That said, after about five minutes of it I am ready to move on ...

I love how he tells the story with such holes in it... allowing the listener to fill in or imagine what happens next. I oftentimes listen to it 2 times in a row, and feel like I'm solving a murder mystery every time.

Been thinking about this for awhile and it seems every record I love has one cut that to me makes it flawed. Examples are Quadrophenia (Dirty Jobs) Abbey Road (Octopus' Garden) Automatic for the People (Monty Got A Raw Deal) Lifes Rich Pageant (What if We Give it Away) Being There (Kingpin, like the live version much better) Wish You Were Here (Welcome to the Machine, just kind of long and boring to me) and the list goes on. All of those are huge albums in my life but don't make it because of that one tune. That all being said, here we go:

Beach Boys - Pet Sounds

Brian Wilson - Smile

The Who - Who By Numbers

Liz Phair - Exile in Guyville

Joe Jackson - Body and Soul

Thats all I got for now.

Wrong

:monkey

You really like that tune? I'm one of the biggest R.E.M. fans there is and there aren't many of their IRS songs I don't like but coming after I Believe and all the other great tunes that come before it, that song to me is just a buzzkill. The Pageant sessions were defintely not one of their most prolific writing periods as the had to reach back to '84 for Hyena and earlier for Just A Touch and What If. Too bad they didn't finish PSA Bad Day at the time or choose All the Right Friends instead of What If....

f80707lfm5j.jpg

Freaking PERFECT!

What makes it even more amazing, is that this is a perfect TWO-FER!

Two albums in one, with not a bad song, and perfect sequencing.

Ray Lamontagne- Till The Sun Turns Black

Bruce Springsteen- The Wild, The Innocent, and The E-Street Shuffle

Led Zeppelin IV without "Four Sticks," A Ghost Is Born without the freaking static.

Agree with Ray Lamontagne and Springsteen and STRONGLY DISAGREE with Led Zepplin. Four Stick is a polyrhythmic tour de force.

Wings - Band on the Run

And I cannot even say that about any Beatles record.