New CSNY Box Set Coming

I have an antique mind.

Neil Young - 1974 Set Lists

Those shows look good on paper and sound good on some of the boots from 1974, Neil was playing many cuts from On the Beach which were rarely heard after that tour. Should be a nice companion for 4 Way Street Live.

I agree with what you said about CSN without Young has a better feel these days then CSNY. I have seen them as CSN, CSNY, Y, S, and some other configurations in the past. Best I saw them was CSN in 1983? at the Philly Spectrum and Young with Crazy Horse 1991? Smell the Horse or Rusted Out Garage 1986?

I also agree with that how many times can you hear the same recordings. I call them jump out the window songs (Stairway, Baba O'Riely......) they are great songs but hard to enjoy for the 5000 time.

I am really looking forward to 9/23/10 when I see Neil Solo Live.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those shows look good on paper and sound good on some of the boots from 1974, Neil was playing many cuts from On the Beach which were rarely heard after that tour. Should be a nice companion for 4 Way Street Live.

I agree with what you said about CSN without Young has a better feel these days then CSNY. I have seen them as CSN, CSNY, Y, S, and some other configurations in the past. Best I saw them was CSN in 1983? at the Philly Spectrum and Young with Crazy Horse 1991? Smell the Horse or Rusted Out Garage 1986?

I also agree with that how many times can you hear the same recordings. I call them jump out the window songs (Stairway, Baba O'Riely......) they are great songs but hard to enjoy for the 5000 time.

I am really looking forward to 9/23/10 when I see Neil Solo Live.

jump out the window songs! love it. i would add More Than A Feeling to that list as well.

i've seen all the configurations too and the best, by far, was Crosby and Nash. They are just real buddies. saw them as an acoustic duo and it was just great. those two still sound great, even into their 60s. stills lost it around 1972.

fyi-the current neil show is great!

• 2 weeks later...

A live preview of the upcoming covers album. It sounds pretty lifeless to me.

thanks for posting. i think it sounds really good, considering. stills even sounds good. i'm looking forward to this album, if it ever comes out. it's been years since they said they started it. can't imagine why these guys work so slow.

from what i've gathered in interviews and articles these are the songs on the album...

midnight rider

girl from north country

uncle john's band

james taylor song

joni mitchell song

neil young song

who knows what else.

I tried to put aside my aversion to such things and listen to it with an open mind, but it just did not do anything for me. Maybe the studio version will be better. I just don't understand why they are doing covers though. I guess they are unable to come with any new material.

I tried to put aside my aversion to such things and listen to it with an open mind, but it just did not do anything for me. Maybe the studio version will be better. I just don't understand why they are doing covers though. I guess they are unable to come with any new material.

i see where you're coming from. for me it's just CSN...for good or ill, i love most, if not, all of what those dudes have done.

Cover albums are what artists do in the latter parts of their careers (sometimes earlier and sometimes to great effect...) Why not do a covers album? What else do they have to do?

LouieB

Cover albums are what artists do in the latter parts of their careers (sometimes earlier and sometimes to great effect...) Why not do a covers album? What else do they have to do?

LouieB

I think it is a trend that became the thing to do in recent years due to the success of Rod Stewart's cover albums. I just believe it is a bit pathetic that now a lot of old bands, washed up bands, etc. put out a cover album. I am not really a fan of such things to begin with - so that is part of it.

I think they should just tour and play the hits, that is all anyone wants to hear anyway.

Here's a set list from last week:

Set 1

01 Woodstock

02 Military Madness

03 Long Time Gone

04 Bluebird

05 Marakesh Express

06 Southern Cross

07 In Your Name

08 Long May You Run

09 Deja Vu

10 Introductions

11 Wooden Ships

Set 2

12 Helplessly Hoping

13 Norwegian Wood

14 Midnight Rider

15 Girl from the North Country

16 Ruby Tuesday

17 What are Their Names

18 Guinevere

19 Delta

20 Cathedral

21 Our House

22 Behind Blue Eyes

23 Rock n roll Woman

24 Almost Cut my Hair

Why in the hell should CSN be singing Stones/Beatles/Who songs? It makes no sense to me.

I think it is a trend that became the thing to do in recent years due to the success of Rod Stewart's cover albums. I just believe it is a bit pathetic that now a lot of old bands, washed up bands, etc. put out a cover album. I am not really a fan of such things to begin with - so that is part of it.

I think they should just tour and play the hits, that is all anyone wants to hear anyway.

Here's a set list from last week:

Why in the hell should CSN be singing Stones/Beatles/Who songs? It makes no sense to me.

that actually looks like a pretty good set to me. csn is actually a band i'd like to hear covers from as they could give 'em their treatment and it would sound great. kind of like willie nelson doing standards. it is kind of goofy though. i see where you're coming from Aman

Blackbird was pretty good, imo. But I don't really like the idea of cover albums either. I just hope they put Homefires in the box set somewhere. Hopefully it'll get released before the end of the year.

I gotta be honest. I listened to both CSN(Y) original albums until I don't care if I ever hear them again. And Four Way street just plain sucks. Subsiquent CSN albums are way bad.

????

unsure who posted this but ... my counterpoint..

Deja Vu

CSNY penning OHIO and Recording it 4 days later Find another Reactionary Active Band that did that in that time period

There music was is meaningful to a lot of people...

"Who can forget their simple honesty of this is our second time playing together and were scared shitless" Woodstock

IMO they offer a great cannon of work and looking forward to seeing them CSN open for Tom Petty in Hartford in a month

Saw Neil w/ Wilco still Rocks and is Significant to this day. :rock

That would be me I think...then again I don't think you have read the thread.....

Both albums are great, they were great when they were released 40 years ago. Chances are you weren't even alive then or if you were you were a mere child. I have played both albums until they were worn out and have heard many of the songs on the radio in the intervening years. It isn't that they aren't good, there is just a point when one no longer needs to hear such things. If you dig them, that is fine.

Oh and actually Neil Young penned Ohio, CSN, they just sang it. And Ohio itself continues to be meaningful to me, since remember that time pretty clearly.

LouieB

• 11 months later...

New interview - by way of Thrasher's Wheat:

Crosby and Nash Interview: CSNY 1974 Tour Box Set

"We recorded nine of the 35 stadium shows we did," says Nash. "We have about 42 songs and we're busy mixing them. We have about 12 to 15 mixes under our belt. We're talking to Neil about the resolution he wants everything at. Because of the world Neil is in, he wants it at the highest possible – which is always advisable."
  • 2 years later...

It appears Neil gets the last laugh:

What’s the status of the box set of CSNY live recordings from 1974?

Here’s what’s going on: I’ve finished it completely. It’s three cds, with a 184-page book all photographed by Joel Bernstein, and its got a DVD in there from the Cap center in Maryland. They were the only people in the world at the time enhancing their sports with video screens. It was hard, but we found the footage and I gave it to our friend Andrew Thomas who cleaned it up, and it has about eight songs on it. The footage is a little funky. We didn’t light our shows, sometimes its too red, or its too blue. But we didn’t care, it’s a historical document . . . And there are some videos from the Wembley Stadium show such as “Push it Over the End” by Neil.

And I read this was going to be released on a new audio format?

That’s right. It’s going to be 24-bit, 192khz on Neil [Young]'s new Pono system. I would imagine if he’s going to introduce it at South by Southwest, it’s going to be available soon after that. I’m telling you the music is fabulous . . . I’ve kept Neil in the loop at all times. He’s with it, he loves the mixes, our choices. So we’re off and running. Joel Bernstein and I co-produced it with our engineer Stanley Johnston. I took it to Neil’s ranch a couple years ago and he loved it.

they charged $350 last time the toured here a few years back without neil. i like 'em, but didnt go.

i have a soft spot for Southern Cross in 1982

Stephen: 'this is MY song'

Graham: ' i'm just happy to be here'

david: 'hmpf?' 

i think they were under contract to make another album, so they just got some of their leftovers and called i a CSN album. David was off to the big doors a couple of years later. and hello?, a new CSN album with Neil in 1988