New CSNY Box Set Coming

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That video for American Dream is funny as hell.

The song Feel Your Love by Neil on that album is the best thing he did in the 80s.  

The fact that CSN still tour is just ridiculous.  Stills hasn't been able to sing for 20 years.  Nash is in good shape and Crosby still sounds good.  But how many people go and see them play Teach Your Children year after year? 

I saw them a few times in the late 80s for under 20 bucks. I recall the 1987 show at Poplar Creek was especially good.

For those of you who are only familiar with live CSNY from the 1960s, you might want to check sound samples on Amazon or something before committing to plunking down whatever it will cost for a '74 box set. I have at least one of these shows, and some of the vocals do not sound like the sublime harmonies from other recordings. YMMV

You can watch at least one of the shows on YT:

Wembley Stadium (9-14-1974)

1. Love The One You're With
2. Wooden Ships
3. Immigration Man
4. Helpless
5. Military Madness
6. Johnny's Garden
7. Traces
8. Almost Cut My Hair
9. Teach Your Children
10. Only Love Can Break Your Heart
11. The Lee Shore
12. Time After Time
13. It's All Right
14. Another Sleep Song
15. Our House
16. Hawaiian Sunrise
17. Star Of Bethlehem
18. Love Art Blues
19. Old Man
20. Change Partners
21. Blackbird
22. Myth Of Sisyphus
23. You Can't Catch Me--Word Game
24. Suite: Judy Blue Eyes
25. Déjà Vu
26. First Things First
27. Don't Be Denied
28. Black Queen
29. Pushed It Over The End
30. Pre-Road Downs
31. Carry On
32. Ohio

Was the 74 tour when they were doing tons of blow and Neil refused to travel with the band? If so, I remember reading somewhere (maybe Neils book) that they only had a few good shows on that tour, right in the beginning.

Was the 74 tour when they were doing tons of blow and Neil refused to travel with the band? If so, I remember reading somewhere (maybe Neils book) that they only had a few good shows on that tour, right in the beginning.

yeah, for years all of 'em said this tour was a nightmare.  now it's some glorious find.  csn really need product, so this is it.  as always, beholden to neil.  i love neil, but he has just become a grizzled MF this last decade.  he won't release TFA on CD but will release Fork in the Road at the drop of a hat.  not to mention his blue ray archives debacle etc.  as i said before, i do hope this set sees the light of day.  Pushed it Over the End is one of Neil's best tunes.  majestic!

• 2 months later...

This thread was started 4 YEARS ago and now we have a release. That blows my mind.

Yea, I think I did. Somehow as I have said in the past, that doesn't seem to be enough incentive to go for this, although I sure do like having the records of tours I managed to get to.

The George Harrison show was about that same time and at the same venue.

LouieB

The good thing about this set is that they cherry-picked all the best versions of songs. Some of their vocals were pretty rough on some of the recordings (like, Grateful Dead in the late 60s rough), so one can only hope that none of the bad versions made it onto this set. I'm all for live recordings, but off-key or out of tune vocals make me cringe noticeably.

The good thing about this set is that they cherry-picked all the best versions of songs. Some of their vocals were pretty rough on some of the recordings (like, Grateful Dead in the late 60s rough), so one can only hope that none of the bad versions made it onto this set. I'm all for live recordings, but off-key or out of tune vocals make me cringe noticeably.

Of course, we have to remember they could probably not hear themselves that well. I think Neil talk about this tour in the Shakey book. One of the points being that Stephen was often too loud.

• 2 weeks later...

That is the coolest cover photo, I wish they wouldnt have used the brown border...

I bet theyve had some protools assistance on the vocals, which to me is okay for this kind of release.  Neil's awesome unreleased stuff on this make it worth picking for me. 

Check out "pushed it over the end"

Reading Nash's autobiography lately and it inspired me to look into Still's Manassas. I didnt know word one about that band so......I got "Pieces" from the library and listened to it a few times over the weekend. Wow, there's some really solid rockin' tunes on it plus I was surprised to hear straight bluegrass too.

I did the same thing with Manassas towards the end of last year - the Steven Still box set that came out last year piqued my interest into Manassas --- it is good stuff. My library system had it all, too (including the Stills box - which is pretty good).

I had no idea that Bill Wyman was involved with Manassas.