Now Playing: July 2010

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

box2.jpg

wish I had written this

'"Stay With Me" is in the Kool-Aid Man Hall of Fame for a reason and a fail-safe asshole test. Play this song for anyone between the ages of 25-65 and at least two beers in their system. If they're appropriately socialized, they'll be cannonballing into the hot tub at "red lips, hair, and fingernails." If they remain unmoved, as if The Faces were mere soundtrack music to their private drama ... asshole. Keep stepping.'

patsy_stanger_cole_dbcd-015.jpg album-the-iceman-comethice-on-ice.jpg

B001NRPR16.jpg

Thomas Mapfumo & The Acid Band - Hokoyo!

Thoughts?

I'm trying to like it, but it's not doing it so far. It sounds too much like Prince trying to appease those who want another Dirty Mind or 1999. And it's only making me think of much better versions of these songs.

Well, I'd love to find a way to hear it, but Prince thinks the internet is outdated and won't distribute it there. Guess I'll just have to look for an illegal download. From The Daily Mirror:

"Unlike most other rock stars, he has banned YouTube and iTunes from using any of his music and has even closed down his own official website.

He says: "The internet's completely over. I don't see why I should give my new music to iTunes or anyone else. They won't pay me an advance for it and then they get angry when they can't get it. The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good."

As an extension of my last post's Roots obsession,

might be the best Dylan cover I've ever heard.

I saw them do that cover at a Dylan tribute show a couple of years ago when I'm Not There (the movie) came out. A religious experience, if I've ever had one. Literally blew my mind.

I saw them do that cover at a Dylan tribute show a couple of years ago when I'm Not There (the movie) came out. A religious experience, if I've ever had one. Literally blew my mind.

So jealous! I've seen them twice (incredible shows), but haven't gotten the privilege to hear this.

I love it. They absolutely make it their own song, but it still remains true to Dylan's original spirit. Not something you often see with cover songs. It's refreshing to see a band avoid taking the safe route when covering a classic song.

Oh yeah, and the I'm Not There soundtrack as a whole is full of great Dylan covers. Mark Lanegan's Man In The Long Black Coat is probably my favorite on there.

that video is awesome. star spangled banner-masters of war-machine gun. brilliant

Thoughts?

I'm trying to like it, but it's not doing it so far. It sounds too much like Prince trying to appease those who want another Dirty Mind or 1999. And it's only making me think of much better versions of these songs.

I haven't really followed his career much over the last fifteen or twenty years, but this new one sounds pretty good to me. Not great, but pretty good.

Well, I'd love to find a way to hear it, but Prince thinks the internet is outdated and won't distribute it there. Guess I'll just have to look for an illegal download. From The Daily Mirror:

"Unlike most other rock stars, he has banned YouTube and iTunes from using any of his music and has even closed down his own official website.

He says: "The internet's completely over. I don't see why I should give my new music to iTunes or anyone else. They won't pay me an advance for it and then they get angry when they can't get it. The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good."

I saw something the other day that was along these lines:

"The internet is over" -- Prince

"Prince is over" --The Internet

:lol