Now Playing: July 2010

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to see Best Coast this weekend. Looking forward to getting the CD in the mail sometime soon, too....

My NP today:

41YDAEDW1HL._SL500_AA300_.jpg61bNHIV%2B-8L._SL500_AA300_.jpg51T1YBA8HZL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

41iCnW-3vxL._SL500_AA300_.jpg51PNVBP5YQL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

bestcoast__.jpg

I'm kinda diggin it. Not bad. Sounds a little bit like Neko Case to me.

Album of the year for me. I don't care what else comes out in 2010. This is IT.

I can't quite make out the name, but I'll admit, I'm intrigued.

Is this new? The Coral seem to be an underappreciated band, at least in this country.

I saw them open for somebody, (Supergrass maybe?) and they were one of the best opening bands I have ever seen. I know they lost one of their original guitarists since then.

I saw them open for somebody, (Supergrass maybe?) and they were one of the best opening bands I have ever seen. I know they lost one of their original guitarists since then.

That's true. To my knowledge they haven't come to the US in several years, and certainly not to the south. I think they'd go over very well if they spent some time touring the states.

I never heard Roots and Echoes, their last one, because it was always $20+. Fortunately it's now down to a reasonable price so I'll have to pick it up soon.

Anyway, NP:

Cover.jpg

Is this new? The Coral seem to be an underappreciated band, at least in this country.

It is a new album, their fifth I think. It's a more simple, straight-forward affair, certainly less Brit-psychedelic whimsy than their earlier material. The big appeal though is the sound. If you're a fan of Younger Than Yesterday/Notorious Byrd Brothers-era Byrds then you will love this, quite Buffalo Springfield-y too.

Probably worth mentioning that it was produced by John Leckie. He produced the Stone Roses' debut, and they too were highly influenced by The Byrds. It's got that same authentically retro feel without being too copycat.

To answer some of the other queries, I believe, and I'm not a Coral expert, that, yes, their guitarist left but they promoted the rhythm guitarist to lead. Based on this album, he does a very good job.

Just in case you missed my point: the album's very Byrds-like and very good.

Just in case you missed my point: the album's very Byrds-like and very good.

That's all good to hear. I really enjoy Magic and Medicine, Nightfreak and the Sons of Becker and Invisible Invasion***. Their first album never won me over (I should give it another shot sometime soon), but I fully expect I'll like this new one and the previous one.

***WARNING! I just remembered, the original release of Invisible Invasion had some software on the cd that made computers vulnerable to virus attacks, and sent a bunch of information to Sony. So, if anyone is reading this and tries to check out The Coral, perhaps by purchasing a used cd, please keep that in mind and DO NOT play it on your computer.

campbell.jpg

Mark's one of my favorite singers that I've never really given much of a listen to. His songs with QOTSA are obviously awesome, and his cover of Man In The Long Black Coat is perfect. But that's really all I've heard him do.

I saw this album leaked, so I'm checking it out. Really neat stuff. Might finally force me to give Mark's solo/Screaming Trees material a chance.

Really neat stuff. Might finally force me to give Mark's solo/Screaming Trees material a chance.

I haven't listened to him all that much either. This is the only Screaming Trees album I've heard in its entirety, and its always enjoyable. To my ears it holds up better than other "grunge" era bands/releases. Musically it's sort of Stooges-esque:

847154457_bd2f408ed3.jpg

I think I'll listen to it when I get home.

41YWRmC9PNL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Hop On Pop - Chicken on a Bicycle

Because... fuck you.