New record label?

http://www.expressnightout.com/content/2010/07/nels-cline-singers-black-cat-initiate-wilco-new-album.php

A link to this interview with Nels Cline was posted in another thread, but I thought a new thread should be started because of the surprising news about Wilco starting their own record label. (If this is old news that I have just missed, moderators, please feel free to remove this posting.) But wow, Nels has some very interesting things to say in this interview, about the collaborative process with Jeff as well as that news about leaving Nonesuch and starting a new label.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Speed Racer

Not too surprising about the label, honestly. That's definitely the fiscally-responsible choice these days, especially for a band with enough under their belt as Wilco.

Nels gives a good interview.

Hopefully his prediction that the next album will rock harder will turn out to be true.

Bare in mind, they were discussing Wilco The Album like it was an experimental return to form a la Yankee Hotel Foxtrot before that came out.

--Mike

Bare in mind, they were discussing Wilco The Album like it was an experimental return to form a la Yankee Hotel Foxtrot before that came out.

--Mike

True. They were saying that. But I don't think Nels ever said anything like that.

True. They were saying that. But I don't think Nels ever said anything like that.

Yeah, I think that's true. This was Nels' best pre-WTA description.

It's kind of all over the place. It's got some stompin' rockers and it's got some really poignant, quiet songs--more folk-country kind of stuff. There are some really colorful, orchestrated--the band orchestrated, I mean, not like an orchestra--pieces that I think show a lot more of the flexibility and the potential of this band.

So, yes I think while I didn't really find a lot of that in Wilco The Album, none of it hinted at anything it wasn't.

--Mike

Wilco are extremely fortunate to be in the situation they are. I just read a rather depressing interview with Ted Leo where he says that in the future he wont be able to tour anywhere near as much as he has as he can't economically sustain it anymore. He's on his third different label on succesive releases as the two before both folded. He furthermore said that he was going to have to get a day job in the near future and that music would be a lesser part of his life.

Now writers can use the 'indie' shorthand to describe Wilco without the guilt of being factually incorrect. :P

I wonder how much, if at all, this will change their creative process. My uninformed impression is that Nonesuch was very hands off and didn't pressure the band into anything creatively or schedule-wise. I suppose the only reason I have to think that is because I've never heard the band talk about the label in interviews ever.

Wilco are extremely fortunate to be in the situation they are. I just read a rather depressing interview with Ted Leo where he says that in the future he wont be able to tour anywhere near as much as he has as he can't economically sustain it anymore. He's on his third different label on succesive releases as the two before both folded. He furthermore said that he was going to have to get a day job in the near future and that music would be a lesser part of his life.

That sucks. Maybe Wilco will sign Ted to their label and that would be the first step to my dream bill of Ted Leo and the Pharmacests opening for Wilco!

That sucks. Maybe Wilco will sign Ted to their label and that would be the first step to my dream bill of Ted Leo and the Pharmacests opening for Wilco!

I actually saw them open for Wilco a few years back in Rhode Island. It was pretty sweet!

The track record of bands starting their own labels has never been particularly good, ask Paul McCartney how Apple turned out. But I think at this stage labels are quickly becoming irrelevant anyway, they might as well take their shot at it.

--Mike