New record label?

The track record of bands starting their own labels has never been particularly good, ask Paul McCartney how Apple turned out. But I think at this stage labels are quickly becoming irrelevant anyway, they might as well take their shot at it.

--Mike

Apple didnt turn out well because the beatles actually tried to run the thing. As long as Tony handles the business end, I think it will be a good idea. They will definitely make more of their money instead of forking over all of their record sales to labels that dont really do anything but distribute anyways.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The track record of bands starting their own labels has never been particularly good, ask Paul McCartney how Apple turned out. But I think at this stage labels are quickly becoming irrelevant anyway, they might as well take their shot at it.

--Mike

I think a bunch of guys struggling with drug abuse and letting a bunch of doped up hanger ons make decisions probably had more to do with Apple's demise than a bad buisness model.

--Mike

these worked out pretty well:

dischord-records.jpg

merge.jpg

http://www.discogs.com/label/United+Dairies

--Mike

It is worth a shot....actually Apple put out lots of records and ran well to a point...

I just really like Nonesuch as a label...lots of class acts on it, but if Wilco wants to branch out, well they have plenty of fans.

LouieB

Apple didnt turn out well because the beatles actually tried to run the thing. As long as Tony handles the business end, I think it will be a good idea. They will definitely make more of their money instead of forking over all of their record sales to labels that dont really do anything but distribute anyways.

That's right. Tony - he don't fuck around.

Guest Jules

I think a bunch of guys struggling with drug abuse and letting a bunch of doped up hanger ons make decisions probably had more to do with Apple's demise than a bad buisness model.

This guy knows his Beatles history.

It is worth a shot....actually Apple put out lots of records and ran well to a point...

I just really like Nonesuch as a label...lots of class acts on it, but if Wilco wants to branch out, well they have plenty of fans.

LouieB

I agree. Their artist roster is extremely diverse and they put out a lot of great music. Wilco, Joshua Redman, Ry Cooder, the Assad Brothers - to name a few - on the same label? That's good work.

oh, one more successful band-owned label:

4393199.jpg

New Order/Joy Division were pretty much equity partners in Factory Records as well. I wasn't implying it can't be done, I am just naturally pessimistic about such things. But I doubt it will really matter who puts the albums out.

LouieB

Yeah, I thought Nonesuch was a great fit for them. From an outsider's view, they seem like a good label. But for a band like Wilco, I can see them wanting to move away. I really think labels are only good for an upcoming band by getting them press and distribution. A band like Wilco does not need that from a label anymore since as we have discussed before Lou their stature has grown.

I really think labels are only good for an upcoming band by getting them press and distribution. A band like Wilco does not need that from a label anymore since as we have discussed before Lou their stature has grown.

I agree! And having their own label means they can mentor other artists not just creatively but in the business aspect. With a band like Wilco, I really would love to see this happen.

I agree! And having their own label means they can mentor other artists not just creatively but in the business aspect. With a band like Wilco, I really would love to see this happen.

I would be surprised if they ended up signing other bands. I think it will be a label in name, with the music distributed by some other company. There seems to be a lot of that sort of thing going on these days.

Some Suggestions:

The Label Spinning On My Turntable

Reflecting Off Of Your CD

World Record Players

Music Is My Savior

Aural Arms Open Wide

Box Full Of Lecords (see the Chicago Residency shows for an explanation of the term)

Pure Imagination

Time Warner :lol

Actually Solid Sound is probably where I would place my bet - but I do really like Box Full Of Lecords...

Wilco (The Record Label)