New record label?

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm 20 years old and have been a big Wilco fan for roughly 3 or 4 years. Having said that, it certainly took some time for me to really wrap my head around the music. Slowly but surely a lot of my friends (same age) have grown to love Wilco as well. Most of us agree that Wilco is an "important" band too. Maybe just for us but I think most would agree in some way that this band made as brilliant and as smooth a transition into the the "technology-aided music age" (if you will) as anyone could have hoped for. I believe around the time Kid A and Yankee Hotel Foxtrot came out there was an evolution of some sort, the details of which are still playing out. Something to do with all that "noise" ;). But I think this may play a part in whether or not today's youth (17 and younger? Sheesh I'm only 20.) can really dig Wilco. They have grown up knowing nothing but this genre-bending rock, yet at the turn of the century this was still a pretty exciting idea.

8 years ago wilco put out their best album (well, i prefer AGIB - but YHF was a big leap in quality and relevancy for the band) - so it's good to know that it was easier getting kids to like them back then - it means the kids do like the best stuff! wilco really aren't very relevant anymore, and i feel they aren't very good (which is, i know, my opinion - but the relevancy thing is just a fact). their early work was only relevant within a specific genre which (whilst being great) wasn't exactly of it's time, so when they actually hit a purple patch it was natural that young kids would gravitate towards them. maybe they'll get good & relevant again!

this all sounds very negative. but, ya know, i'm just trying to explain why i think kids would be into them 10 or so years ago, rather than now. and also, that i think the kids are all right!

How can you say they aren't good when they are they are so consistently one of (if not the most) formidable live acts in rock music..You can say what you want about their latest work in the studio, but the fact remains that they continue to become better and better live...and besides, when you say they aren't relevant..relevant to whom? And if you are referring to the studio work, the fact that they did release albums such as YHF and AGIB makes them very relevant..they can't constantly be banging those kinds of records out..and who are you referring to that this relevance is judged by anyway?

Guest Speed Racer

they continue to become better and better live

I don't think so. Every time Pat stuffs his seat cushion on his keyboard, every time he bangs the keys with maracas, every time Nels oversolos where nary a solo existed prior to his arrival, an angel falls from grace.

Sometimes I wonder why some of ya'll post of a Wilco fan site. One doesn't have to be a fan boy, but being a negative nanny all the time is just as annoying.

Just saying.

I don't think so. Every time Pat stuffs his seat cushion on his keyboard, every time he bangs the keys with maracas, every time Nels oversolos where nary a solo existed prior to his arrival, an angel falls from grace.

Whoh! Pat is using a seat cushion now in addition to Mikael and his? Wilco is creative, I'll give them that. Dueling seat cushion keyboarding rocks my world.

this all sounds very negative. but, ya know, i'm just trying to explain why i think kids would be into them 10 or so years ago, rather than now.

When and if Wilco puts their songs on Rock Band kids will get into them again.

pot-kettle.jpg

?

I'll make a deal with you then.

I won't post here if you don't.

Guest Speed Racer

As far as I can tell, you're the only one who wants to do without the negative nan(c?)ys; I was just wondering if you knew where the finger was pointing. :lol You can take a break if the negativity bothers you, though; I certainly can't stop you.

When and if Wilco puts their songs on Rock Band kids will get into them again.

Not only would I buy this, I'd even buy a tv for this. Heck, I'd even go out and buy friends to play it with me! :rock Shit, Rock Band is fun enough I might even play Leave Me Like You Found Me.

As far as I can tell, you're the only one who wants to do without the negative nan(c?)ys; I was just wondering if you knew where the finger was pointing. :lol You can take a break if the negativity bothers you, though; I certainly can't stop you.

Not only would I buy this, I'd even buy a tv for this. Heck, I'd even go out and buy friends to play it with me! :rock Shit, Rock Band is fun enough I might even play Leave Me Like You Found Me.

Come on children, you're acting like children. . .

Actually, I get annoyed with the negative comments too, but I recognize that I am a giddy fangirl above all, and I just don't like anybody talkin' trash about my band! But being the good little liberal that I am, I say let 'em go--give 'em enough rope and they'll hang themselves.

Yes, I have my favorite albums/cuts/periods, and there are some I'm less fond of, but I honestly think there's so much to admire and love about Wilco that I'm more than willing to give them the benefit of the doubt and try to understand and appreciate where their vision is leading them.

Some of this reminds me of the fan angst over other artists who followed their own creative impulses and the hell with what the fans wanted. Neil Young, Bob Dylan, Lou Reed. In the case of Wilco, there have been so many phases and lineups that whatever direction they take next, they're going to disappoint some segment of fans. As for me, I'm pretty uncritical about all but the most abysmal cuts (and hell yeah, I definitely do not feel love for Leave Me Like You Found Me, either). On the other hand, I'm not even close to yelling "Judas" about anything. They're the artists, and I have cast my lot in with them come hell or high water. I'm hoping for something magical with the next album, but I've really loved every one,so I just refuse to believe they'll be putting out dreck.

[Edit: This may not be my finest post since I started on this board, but it was written after I had taken an Ambien last night. I stand by everything except a final incoherent couple of lines, which I have prudently removed this morning!]

I'm 17, and all of my friends know who Wilco is....because of me....and they still don't like them....and I still think they're all crazy :)

Actually, I completely get why people don't like Wilco. I mean...it's not exactly the easiest thing to latch on to. I think it takes a certain relationship with music as a whole for you to really develop a relationship with Wilco. I don't want to go as far as to say that some people don't have the depth to "get" or "understand" Wilco, because many of my friends, who are brilliant people in my opinion, just don't like them. I think you just have to be someone who seeks music intellectually and passionately, which is an ok thing not to be. Doesn't mean you're stupid or simple- just means you're not that.

Really? If you don't like Wilco, it's because you don't seek music intellectually and passionately?

Guest Speed Racer

Come on children, you're acting like children. . .

Ooooh, I hope you only left my Rock Band quip in quotes out of laziness - that was no joke; I'd buy it, and even buy a tv to play it. The only part I might have been kidding about is Leave Me Like You Found Me. :lol

Guest Speed Racer

Some of this reminds me of the fan angst over other artists who followed their own creative impulses and the hell with what the fans wanted. Neil Young, Bob Dylan, Lou Reed. In the case of Wilco, there have been so many phases and lineups that whatever direction they take next, they're going to disappoint some segment of fans. As for me, I'm pretty uncritical about all but the most abysmal cuts (and hell yeah, I definitely do not feel love for Leave Me Like You Found Me, either).

I'd agree with most of this. Those three you mentioned - thankfully, Wilco's worst albums still haven't approached anything close to these men's worst albums. Not that we should give Wilco anything to aspire to. :lol I really don't think Wilco's most recent two albums were terrible, but I certainly don't think they are on the level of the BT-AGIB run of albums.

I think it's alright to be hard on a band, and I don't think that necessarily makes someone negative. If I didn't care about them any more I'd be steering clear of Just a Fan. I just think they can do better than they are; obviously, they're having fun with it though, so I can't fault them too much.

I'm sure this was mentioned pages ago, but if Wilco starts up their own label I would love for them to take that opportunity to release demos and studio outtakes from some old sessions. Hell, based on Dark Neon they could even release outtakes from new sessions, too. (Don't worry, Jeff doesn't even want to play Leave Me.)

Apple didnt turn out well because the beatles actually tried to run the thing. As long as Tony handles the business end, I think it will be a good idea. They will definitely make more of their money instead of forking over all of their record sales to labels that dont really do anything but distribute anyways.

I like what John Prine did/is doing with his label "Oh Boy" http://www.ohboy.com/ http://www.furious.com/perfect/prine.html

And I like that he signs other artists. I would love to see Tweedy/Wilco do something along those lines if they do leave Nonesuch, but in JT's recent Billboard interview seemed like they might be negotiating pie-slices:

"Flash-forward to the present and Wilco have let their deal with Nonesuch lapse, reportedly because they’re poised to release their next album on their own label (at least that’s what guitarist Nels Cline suggested). But founding member and frontman Jeff Tweedy told Billboard.com that the band hasn’t come to a final decision regarding that issue, although he’s pretty sure Wilco is done with corporate labels.

'It seems unlikely that we will be under the umbrella of a major label or a major-label group,” he said. “It doesn’t make sense for us to pay somebody three-quarters of the pie for a lot of things that we’ve been doing ourselves.'"

Kot needs to release the new and expanded Learning How to Die as lots has happened since it left off: The new lineup, the Residency, 2 studio albums and a live album, Jay's death, the further demise of the record industry and Wilco's future sans label. There's gotta be 4 or 5 new chapters in there.

Guest Speed Racer

Eh, he can release a second book to chronicle those tales. From which song would he nab a title?

Shaking it Off

At Least That's What They Said

Leave Them Like You Found Them

Please Be Patient With Wilco

Wilco & I

Everlasting Everwilco

Eh, he can release a second book to chronicle those tales. From which song would he nab a title?

Shaking it Off

At Least That's What They Said

Leave Them Like You Found Them

Please Be Patient With Wilco

Wilco & I

Everlasting Everwilco

Nicely done. How about "What's Wilco Got in Store?"

• 1 month later...

It would be great to see Wilco sign with ANTI and be on the same roster with Tom Waits, Dr. Dog, Man Man, DeVotchka, Mavis etc... :worship

L.A.'s Anti- has won the respect of Wilco's Jeff Tweedy, whose band just happens to be a free agent

September 10, 2010 | 2:29 pm

Like asking Yankees chief Joe Girardi if he would be willing to leave New York to manage the Chicago Cubs, peppering a famous musician with inquiries as to where his band may or may not sign is a line of interrogation that's sure to be met with vagaries (warning: this post has them). Yet Wilco's Jeff Tweedy knows the questions will come his way, and understands that speculation could point the daring Chicago pop band to a certain L.A. indie.

On Tuesday, Epitaph's multi-genre imprint Anti- Records will release "You Are Not Alone" from Chicago soul luminary Mavis Staples, a refined collection of gospel-tinged folk and blues that was produced by Tweedy in Wilco's Windy City studio. As detailed in Sunday's Calendar story, Staples is experiencing a late-career rejuvenation. The 71-year-old and 60-year-recording vet is now on her third album from Anti-, and the artist said she's noticed a boost in attention since linking with the respected label, where legends (Roky Erickson) stand alongside the elegant (Neko Case) and the out-and-out weird (Man Man).

The label's multi-genre approach is not too different from that of Warner Music Group imprint Nonesuch Records, where Wilco has just completed its recording contract. With Tweedy recently telling Billboard that it "seems unlikely that we will be under the umbrella of a major label" for future albums, has his experience working with Anti- on the Staples album put the Silver Lake-based label in the running as a future Wilco home?

"I like labels like Anti-," Tweedy said. "I obviously have a lot of respect for their roster, and I’ve had a good experience working on this record with Mavis. So we do have a lot of different things to weigh. We’ll see what happens."

Pop & Hiss will indulge in some pure speculation here, but some recent maneuvers by Epitaph could even make the label more appealing to a band like Wilco, a veteran act that's notched seven studio albums and is a safe bet to sell into the six figures. Epitaph will on Tuesday release Weezer's "Hurley," the pop act's first venture outside of the major label system. As Weezer leader Rivers Cuomo recently told Pop & Hiss, "Hurley" is technically being released on the band's own W Records, and is licensed to Epitaph.

In the case of Wilco, which does the bulk of its promotion and marketing in-house, and recently staged its own multi-day festival in Massachusetts, such an arrangement gives the artist more control while still providing the infrastructure and retail reach a label can offer (Epitaph/Anti- releases are distributed via the Warner Music Group's Alternative Distribution Alliance).

"It doesn't make sense for us to pay somebody three-quarters of the pie for a lot of things that we've been doing ourselves," Tweedy told Billboard in July. "On the other hand, I don't know if it makes a lot of sense for a label to upend their entire historical precedent to make things work for us when a lot of other bands really do need a lot of the things that a label provides."

Wilco hasn't yet recorded its follow-up to last year's "Wilco (The Album)," and the band has tour dates into the fall. The act, like Radiohead, Weezer and Nine Inch Nails, has the luxury of time and the brand recognition to strike out on its own and land a less conventional label deal, should it want it. If Wilco does indeed work outside of the "umbrella" of a major, as Tweedy hinted, it may not be Anti-, but the Sunset Boulevard-housed label certainly has Tweedy's respect.

"I think they’re pretty smart," Tweedy said. "I think they’re music lovers. I really respond to it. It’s very similar to the way I am. It’s a lot more like the way the world exists now than when I was growing up. There are less lines drawn in the sand between genres. Punk rock was a line in the sand for a lot of kids when I was growing up. So what those guys are doing is smart."

-- Todd Martens