Hey all!

Happy Summer! Been a while since I posted. What with the end of school and all the music filling my life its been busy to say the least! I hope everyone is well.

A question for those of you that have to carry your own PA to gigs. My band has an old one from the late 90's. Big hard wood speakers, two heavy floor monitors, the PA head itself is very very heavy. I've pulled my back out three times in the last week moving it and cannot do it anymore.

So my question is what is a good quality PA that is light weight and not too expensive? And suggestions?

To tell you what I need out of it here is a description: acoustic guitar input, mandolin input, three vocals, upright bass input, and sometimes three drum mics. It would also need to have phantom power. I'd like to have a ton of head room. I'm on the fence about powered speakers as if they blow out basically that speaker is donezo for the night. Am I wrong or are they dependable with care?

Not too much to ask, right?

Thanks for any and all recommendations!

Hey Breezy,

Right now, I am using a Mackie PA system with Powered speakers..they are not too heavy (about 40lbs each) considering they have the amplifiers built in, and they aren't ridiculously expensive . However, they sound FREAKING INCREDIBLE. I am constantly getting comments from people about how great they sound. Mackie powered speakers

Here's the way I look at it; your audience is only going to think that you are as good as you sound thru your PA system. Nothing boosts your confidence better than knowing you are playing behind a great sounding system.

You pretty much get what you pay for (though there are many inferior speakers that cost just as much if not more than the Mackies) and those cheapo Yamaha or Peavey systems just sound like muddy dog shit. You are much much better off spending a little more money for a great sounding set up.

The Mackie mixer board has phantom power built into it, has great sounds pre-amps, built in effects and is built like a tank.

Also, one other piece of gear that I couldnt live without is this acoustic preamp that just makes an acoustic guitar sounds incredible in the mix. You will just have to hear it for yourself to believe what a huge difference this makes.

Hope this helps some!