I Might as well have some gear geek topics too..

OK here is the geeky part..I have a Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Tremoverb 100 W amp head with a 2x12 Recto cabinet (Celestian Vintage 30s) which is, coincidently, exactly the same rig that Jim James from My Morning Jacket uses.

I'm not sure how many of you guys are familiar with this amp, but it basically has a great sounding setting called "Vintage High Gain" that is perfect for some bluesy, classic rock tones; it is very versatile. Anyway, to make a long story short, I am looking for suggestions for an OD or Gain pedal that will just push it up a notch for solos and such. The amp sounds great already and I don't want something that is going to mess with the tone too much, just give it a little more punch when necessary.

I really tend to shy away from the really generic Boss pedals as they just seem soo....blah. (Even though they do make some decent stuff) I am open for suggestions if you got em! Thanks!

This might mess with the tone too much, but it more than does that trick when you want to get nasty.

510UOBvf3kL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I love it.

Off the subject a bit but does anybody know what the amp in the lower left is (picture is from last night's McCartney show).

I don't know what model that is, but it looks like a Divided by 13 amp.

http://www.dividedby13.com/

EDIT---

Here's the exact model (with a slightly different speaker cabinet):

http://www.dividedby13.com/jrt915.html

divided-buy-13-9-15-head.jpg

I'll bet that thing sounded like a dream.

I don't know what model that is, but it looks like a Divided by 13 amp.

http://www.dividedby13.com/

EDIT---

Here's the exact model (with a slightly different speaker cabinet):

http://www.dividedby13.com/jrt915.html

divided-buy-13-9-15-head.jpg

I'll bet that thing sounded like a dream.

Thanks for the link, that's the one! I'm always on the lookout for a good amp and that thing sounded amazing. I figure if it's good enough for McCartney's band it will probably work for my crappy bar band. I'm kind of afraid to find out what it costs.

• 2 weeks later...

OCD! OCD! OCD! The trick is to run at odd voltages...i run mine at 14v=sweet action!

While the RAT is a cool device, it isnt technically an OD or a gain booster, it is a distortion pedal, and will color your sound...may not be what you are looking for, OP,

• 1 month later...

I did indeed go with the OCD and it was a great choice! Love it!

OCD! OCD! OCD! The trick is to run at odd voltages...i run mine at 14v=sweet action!

While the RAT is a cool device, it isnt technically an OD or a gain booster, it is a distortion pedal, and will color your sound...may not be what you are looking for, OP,

I love this pedal:

31VpiHD8RiL._SL160_AA160_.jpg

I have this, but I have the original, not the mosfet. If you want a pedal that doesn't mess with your original signal at all, and has the option (pull out knob) to provide pure un-OD'd gain, this is a great one to try. plus all his stuff is built like tanks.

if you already love the sound but just want to knock it up a notch for solos i would go with a nice booster pedal - i sue my prescription electronics GERM for this very thing. a high gain pedal will simply just mush things up and probably muffle your tone more than letting it shine through. other than a boost, EQ pedals are an inexpensive and very effective way to cut through with your solos.

as stated, if you are happy with the tone, look for something transparent for the solos.

if you already love the sound but just want to knock it up a notch for solos i would go with a nice booster pedal - i sue my prescription electronics GERM for this very thing. a high gain pedal will simply just mush things up and probably muffle your tone more than letting it shine through. other than a boost, EQ pedals are an inexpensive and very effective way to cut through with your solos.

as stated, if you are happy with the tone, look for something transparent for the solos.

Or maybe, just an EQ pedal. Allow you to tweak the tone (add a little treble to cut) and boost the signal.

Or a volume pedal.

That's what I do. I have a block of wood that I put in the front to keep it at a certain volume. When I need a little boost I just rock it forward until it stops. Then rock it back on to the wood block to lower the volume back down. Works like a charm.

i like the wood block idea- i'll have to try that. as long as it pops out easily so i can do the volume swell thing if i need to.

Yeah, that part is not as easy but I rarely use if for swells. I tend to use the guitar volume knob more but I have had to reach down and pull the block out with my hands because I couldn't get it with my foot. I'm sure I could modify it somehow to make it easier to get out.

Even though he rarely plays electric these days, if he needs over-drive, or even a little gain, my brother can't go past his Hot Cake:

hotcake.jpg

word on the street is that these go veeeeeerrrrrrrrrrryyyyyyy well with a vox ac15 or ac30. Mt amp is aab ac15. Someday I'll have one of these. Not today, though, as if I put more money into gear at the moment i think the mrs would kick me out :realmad