12 members have voted

1. 1. How do you like to play?

• Solo
    • With a band
    • Never played solo
    • Never played with a band
    • I've done both and still just don't really know

So, which way do you prefer, and why?

Me... I think that there are plusses and minus to both.

I like the freedom of playing solo; being able to change the set list on the fly, and even the arrangements.

But, I miss the Big Noise of having those other guys behind me. And the comeraderie, as well: 4 or 5 guys together looking to take over the world. (Or at least the room.)

So my answer, having played solo (and enjoying it) for a while, I miss the band.

Although I think that I am a better solo performer than band leader.

I choose option 5.

I prefer to play with a band.

But then again, the only time I ever played solo was at a beginner to intermediate level music recital in which I was a 22 year old classical guitar novice and everyone else in the recital were a bunch of little kids. :guitar :banana :badger (sorry, I just realized those smilies existed and couldn't resist)

Definitely prefer playing with a band. There's just nothing like the loudness and rockiness of live drums, bass, and guitar.. But playing solo is fun as well. More intimate, more freedom, but there can also be a little more pressure... Screw ups stand out a lot more when it's just you. :)

On a practical level, I've always found it much easier for a band to fill a room than to do it with an accoustic guitar. Also, there's noone else to diffuse the stage fright. There's no doubt about where all the eyes are. And as far as the mistakes/talent thing goes, I find I have to "dumb the songs down" a bit, which detracts from them.

On the other hand, complete artistic control is nice (but that isn't necessarily always a good thing).

So, my vote is for band.

Well, on my most recent album, we decided to use software drums rather than have to deal with the drama associated with a real drummer. And all the headache that comes with trying to record drums. My last drummer was incredibly talented, but his wife just had his third baby in three years and I think he is going to have to sell his drums for Huggies.

It is incredibly satisfying to play with a good band, but incredibly frustrating when you invest years of time with people to have them bail out on you. It is so hard to find people who are 100% commited to playing gigs for little to no money and feel like they are doing something meaningful.

I like to play solo shows; I like to be in control of the situation. I feel I can hide my mistakes easier solo, because my solo mistakes don't screw up the whole band! I like to make up set lists on the go, and just pull out old songs that I barely remember just to see if I can.